2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Best Metal Amp
JVM
Aug 1 2008, 08:20 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (VinceG @ Aug 1 2008, 03:10 PM) *
The best way to do it is to find the amp your favorite band uses.

Well, whoever you think has the best tone, yeah. A lot of my favorite bands (even the ones who use a wide range of tones) don't necessarily have my favorite tones.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 1 2008, 08:39 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Xuestor @ Aug 1 2008, 07:34 PM) *
I'm totally inlove with my Switchblade, although not an all-through metal amp. It's much more versatile smile.gif The crunch-channel cranked is heavenly!!

Ok, I didn't read the title. It does metal great but just as you say it's not an all out metal amp. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
CyanideChris
Aug 3 2008, 09:30 PM
GMC:er
Best metal heads with no budget?
ENGL Savage, Savage SE, Invader and Special Edition
Diezel VH4, Herbert
Bogner Uberschall
Framus Cobra
VHT heads
Soldano SLO

These are all the highest priced you can find really, and each one amazing in it's own way.

--------------------
ESP Horizon FR-II
ESP M-II
Ibanez UV777BK w/BK-Warpig/Coldsweat
ENGL Savage SE
Mesa Dual Rectifier (two channel)

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 3 2008, 09:47 PM
My personal choice would be ENGL.

But if you really want an tone driven amp, and you have no budget set, and you have patience you might want to check out the Larry Dino.

+Quote Post
Harris Sopovic
Aug 4 2008, 12:04 AM
Instructor
I bought an ENGL Fireball top some week ago. And im really satisfied with it. Sounds really good. When rehearsing with the band it cuts through in a good way so you hear everything you play. Best amp so far for the cash.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 4 2008, 12:17 AM
Krank i will justify it by asking you to find an artist who plays something that isn't metal on it... yes i know it has great cleans but it is metal only territory smile.gif which means its a mean metal machine! either that or something ENGL.. ive heard nothing but good about the powerball or fireball

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
gibsonmatte
Jun 15 2010, 03:57 PM
I thought I'd use this topic since it's all about metal amps.

Has anyone out there tried the JCA100 from Jet City? Or any other JCA models perhaps?

Cheers

--------------------
My Last FM page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2010, 06:40 PM
Instructor
ENGL, Bogner and Diezel are a mystery for me. I've never had any of those near... Nobody imports them in Argentina so it's not normal to find bands that use them.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Jun 16 2010, 01:12 AM
Instructor
i tried an ENGL, amazing amps, not sure about the model tho, sounded LOUD and aggressive.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 16 2010, 02:48 AM
Instructor
I tried and considered getting ENGL, but it was to cold for my taste. I've heard 6505+ and 5150 III and they are monster metal amps.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 16 2010, 11:17 PM
Some great responses here! Try to go to a music store and get your hands on as many of these as possible. The usual suspects for Metal amps here in the stats are usually (not in order of importance)

1.)Marshall
2.)Mesa Boogie
3.)Krank
4.)Peavey

Of course tons of players use tons of different amps so this list isn't any where near complete, just a smattering of what you see on stage, at practice spaces, etc.

Todd

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 16 2010, 11:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
Almost ANY company has at least one amp that is capable of a high gain tone... It really depends on what kind of sound you like!

I really like the Peavey 5150/6505 and the Marshall JVM while I can not stand the sound of the Rectifier or the Engl Amps.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Shime
Jun 17 2010, 09:07 AM
With no budget limit, why not dream of a Rivera Knucklehead Tré? There's also a Mick Thompson signature version. Proper metal eargasm!

And in terms of tone and versatility (not just metal), let's drool on the Rivera Clubster.

+Quote Post
brandon
Jun 23 2010, 09:02 PM
If you want an all around rad amp for metal and rock n roll and you really don't have a budget like you stated in a response earlier then I would suggest getting a Richtone: http://www.richtoneamps.com/richtoneamps/menu.htm I'm completely in love with these amps right now. You can contact them and tell them exactly what features you want the amp to have and they'll build it for you. If you want to hear how these amps sound give a listen to Priestess: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXm2QKxQrmw Another good amp company that also does custom amps is Quidley. This is a farely new company from my hometown, Wilmington, North Carolina. These are hand built as well and worth the money. They a have a great classic sound to them, I've played one of these before and it's seriously one of the best tones I've ever heard. These things are going to be classics one day, so get 'em while they're still cheap(ish). Not sure if you can get it overseas, but if you contact them they might just do it. Those are my amp suggestions where money is not an issue. If you need a cabinet I'd suggest getting an Avatar. Cheap, solid, and you get to choose the speakers they put in them. They use pressed birch, not pressed pine like most companies. http://www.avatarspeakers.com/ Check the scratch/dent specials. I got one of the vintage cabs with my choice of Celestian speakers for $350, which included shipping and tax. Looks like they've got some good specials going on in there right now. Regardless, I hope you end up with something you love.

One more thing, like everyone else has already said, it's really all a matter of what type of metal you want to play and what tone you want. A good suggestion would be to think of a handful of bands who's sound you really like and then figure out what amps they play. It might help you narrow the search.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jun 23 2010, 09:29 PM
Learning Tone Master
If budget is not of importance than it is Bogner or Diezel for Metal...
On almost ANY metal album recorded today you can hear the Diezel VH4 - even though the bands play diffrent amps live!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 24 2010, 12:40 AM
Instructor
It would be very interesting to tryout Bogner or DIesel hi-end amps. Unfortunately they are rare beasts sad.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:55 PM