42 Pages V  « < 39 40 41 42 >  
Sunday Shred Fest Challenge!
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 18 2017, 08:37 AM
Learning Rock Star
I'm just wondering whether if it's not G major (blues) (E minor blues) and not G minor blues derived from G minor scale, since the chords are G, D, C as far as I'm aware? But I've been known to lose my mind from time to time smile.gif

EDIT:

Pretty sure Slash plays an E minor shape thing on the solo, which of course with the underlying chords sounds more like G major smile.gif

EDIT2:

Here's a tab of the song with solos in E minor, though of course it's tuned down to Eb in the original song, but the backing track you provided is in standard tuning, meaning it would be E minor. Sorry to be a pestilence about it. You also clearly say that it's in G major tonality, but have provided a chart that says G minor blues smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Sep 18 2017, 09:11 PM

Attached File(s)

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 20 2017, 04:47 AM
GMC:er
The backing track being used works well with the G Minor Blues Scale. G minor blues, like I mentioned, is just the long way of saying what most people think of as the standard "Blues Scale". E.G. The Pentatonic scale but including a flat fifth. Take a look at the scale in G. The roots are where you'd expect them to be if soloing in G and playing what folks call the "Blues Scale". Because this main chorus chords are structured around 1/4/5 which is the Basic "Blues" progression pattern, the basic "blues" scale as it's commonly known works just fine over it and sounds like it should be there.

The "Major Pentatonic" is the same scale as the "minor pentatonic" it's just got roots in different places. Most folks are used to playing the roots on the low E (root), D, (octave) High E (root) when playing the "Blues" (Minor pent blues) scale. I was actually trying not to confuse people by getting to deep in to this but hopefully this is more helpful than confusing as the question has been asked smile.gif

As you play along with the backing track, try soloing with G Major, and then solo with G Minor. You will notice, or at least I did, that the G Major Scale works just fine along with the G Minor Pentatonic (e.g. standard blues scale). This may seem confusing in that we are apparently combining major and minor scales. Technically, we are. Sonically, we are not. Again, The primary chord progression G, D, C (1st, 5th, fourth of the major scale) I what we are soloing over here. Not 1st 5th 3rd of the Minor Scale (G# doesn't sound right at all IMHO, which would be the 3rd of the actual "Melodic Minor" scale) . Thus, playing the minor scale, in standard tuning starting at G over this backing (the one shared) sounds a bit wrong. It should, after all, we are using the 1,4,5 from the major not the minor. I think it's the fact that the technically correct name for the blues scale contains the word "minor" that is throwing you off.

Does it make sense now?

Since the Backing (not the original just the one used here) is not in the key of E, it's in the key of G, playing the E Minor Blues / E Blues would be a bit odd. You could probably make it work somehow if you really wanted, but it's not a natural fit for the backing per the reasons mentioned. Sort of like forcing a square peg in a round hole.

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 18 2017, 03:37 AM) *
I'm just wondering whether if it's not G major (blues) (E minor blues) and not G minor blues derived from G minor scale, since the chords are G, D, C as far as I'm aware? But I've been known to lose my mind from time to time smile.gif

EDIT:

Pretty sure Slash plays an E minor shape thing on the solo, which of course with the underlying chords sounds more like G major smile.gif

EDIT2:

Here's a tab of the song with solos in E minor, though of course it's tuned down to Eb in the original song, but the backing track you provided is in standard tuning, meaning it would be E minor. Sorry to be a pestilence about it. You also clearly say that it's in G major tonality, but have provided a chart that says G minor blues smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 20 2017, 05:15 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 20 2017, 06:11 AM
Learning Rock Star
I just gotta disagree, I don't hear Slash playing G minor blues on the track in the solo. In fact, if I remember correctly he's using the notes of G major/E minor, as I said above.

I'm saying exactly to play G major over this, cause the chords are G, D and C/Am7. Which makes up the notes G A B C D E F#. Thus it would sound wrong to play an F over this for instance, as is suggested by your chart, and to my ears playing the F# sounds much more natural given that it's in the D chord, as opposed to playing F note over that chord.

Typically a blues would be dominant chords, as far as I understand? Which would of course allow the G blues scale to work better.

As far as I'm aware G pentatonic are the notes G, A, B, D, E, where as the G blues scale you're writing in the chart you're talking about is G, Bb, C, Db, D, and F, however you're meanwhile writing that it's in G major above the chart.

And I wouldn't say the major pentatonic is the same as the minor pentatonic. Minor pentatonic is 1, flat 3, 4, 5, flat 7, where as major pentatonic is 1, major 2nd, major 3rd, 5th, 6th.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Sep 20 2017, 06:06 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 20 2017, 01:49 PM
E Minor backs up to G Major, the roots are just different. So yes, you can play E Minor, just not E Minor Pentatonic. Make sense?

You are actually agreeing with me but somehow misreading what I'm saying it seems. The G Major scale works, over this backing. The traditional Blues scale in G works over the backing. E minor works if you change the root notes as it backs right up to G major. So what are you disagreeing about?

Did you read my reply? I mention several times that playing G Major over this backing sounds correct. While playing G Natural Minor sounds incorrect. Did you miss that part? IT's long but please re read the post and I think you'll see we are in agreement. The CHORUS, MAIN CHORUS of the song is in fact in the key of G and using the First, Fourth and Fifth of the Major Scale. Which is also the traditional blues progression. Again, that is why the traditional "Blues" scale in G works as well as the standard G Major scale. I don't know how else to say it, but we are saying the same thing here.

As for the Pentatonic, I'm not saying Minor and Major Pentatonic are the same pattern in the same key. The first Pentatonic pattern that we all use lives just a little further down the neck if you look on your chart. In the key of G, Major Pentatonic works as it has many of the same notes as the G major scale. OVerlay them and take a look. So again, G Major and G Blues would be the scales I'd suggest for this solo just to keep it simple. I really only suggested G Blues in tablature to keep it even more simple. smile.gif

for reference, here is the quote from my previous post saying that G Major works just fine for this backing.
"G Major Scale works just fine along with the G Minor Pentatonic (e.g. standard blues scale). This may seem confusing in that we are apparently combining major and minor scales. Technically, we are. Sonically, we are not. Again, The primary chord progression G, D, C (1st, 5th, fourth of the major scale)"

It seems like you skimmed my reply as you actually say the same things I took the time to say. sad.gif

I do apologize if I've been confusing on any of this smile.gif

P.S. your gmc mail box is full so I can't reply to your email.

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 20 2017, 01:11 AM) *
I just gotta disagree, I don't hear Slash playing G minor blues on the track in the solo. In fact, if I remember correctly he's using the notes of G major/E minor, as I said above.

I'm saying exactly to play G major over this, cause the chords are G, D and C/Am7. Which makes up the notes G A B C D E F#. Thus it would sound wrong to play an F over this for instance, as is suggested by your chart, and to my ears playing the F# sounds much more natural given that it's in the D chord, as opposed to playing F note over that chord.

Typically a blues would be dominant chords, as far as I understand? Which would of course allow the G blues scale to work better.

As far as I'm aware G pentatonic are the notes G, A, B, D, E, where as the G blues scale you're writing in the chart you're talking about is G, Bb, C, Db, D, and F, however you're meanwhile writing that it's in G major above the chart.

And I wouldn't say the major pentatonic is the same as the minor pentatonic. Minor pentatonic is 1, flat 3, 4, 5, flat 7, where as major pentatonic is 1, major 2nd, major 3rd, 5th, 6th.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 20 2017, 02:06 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 20 2017, 02:14 PM
Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredchallengex54

IMPORTANT: YOU CAN PLAY OVER ANY PART OR ALL OF THE BACKING)

DETAILS: VIDEO OPTIONAL : audio or video is fine.

BACKING TRACK: Download Attached File  GNR.mp3 ( 10.32MB ) Number of downloads: 46

KEY : G

SCALES TO USE: G Pentatonic/Blues (Or you can add/use G Major if you like as CAEL and I have been talking about)

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 20 2017, 02:16 PM

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Sep 24 2017, 02:35 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I did a very short solo for this. Excellent takes Laurent and Ben!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 24 2017, 04:56 PM
Top notch!!! Per usual, just a killer solo. It's a clinique on putting together a solo that makes the listener "feel" something. IT's got careful choice of notes, impressive technical bits, subtle vibrato and bending, great tone, it's all there.

I've always enjoyed your solos and this one is no exception. It's really a great example of what I'm looking for on these. Nothing too "insane", just a well played, well written, well crafted guitar solo. Not overly done, not too restrained. Riding a balance between melody and terror the entire time. This is one of the best yet. Congrats for sure!!!! I'll stop myself before I gush to much smile.gif

In other words, you just....

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Sep 23 2017, 09:35 PM) *
I did a very short solo for this. Excellent takes Laurent and Ben!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2017, 06:01 AM
I'm really happy with the solos on this one and I really hope everyone in my Bootcamp gets busy and puts one up!!!! This is a KILLER backing to show of what you can do and what you've learned. DON"T BE SHY!!! Audio only is just fine smile.gif One more time through!!
-----

Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredchallengex54

BACKING TRACK: Download Attached File  GNR.mp3 ( 10.32MB ) Number of downloads: 46

KEY : G

SCALES TO USE: G Pentatonic/Blues (Or you can add/use G Major if you like as CAEL and I have been talking about)

Attached Image

Or solo in G Major!
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 25 2017, 06:04 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 2 2017, 09:53 PM
Monday Solo Challenge!
(Thought we'd try Monday Instead of Sunday)
Attached Image
#55 BRIT METAL REDUX
Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredchallengex55
Remember the original "BRIT METAL" Collab? It was way back in sunny 2012 when Gabe went all "Iron Maiden" on us and thrust forth the first Brit Metal Collab. It was AWESOME. So awesome in fact that when I ran across it again on soundcloud I asked him if he wanted to try to make a song out of it. We are working on it now and he is doing a NEW Brit Metal Collab as a bonus!!! If you missed the first one, now is your chance, if you did one the first time, now is your chance to see how far you've come since 2012. smile.gif So please do jump in! Don't be shy!

BACKING TRACK: Attached File  British_Metal_Collab_110_bpm.mp3 ( 1.17MB ) Number of downloads: 38

Here is my original solo for reference.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/tribute-to-british-metal-gabriel-leopardi-todd-simpson

KEY : F#

BPM: 110

SCALES TO USE: F# Minor (or any scale / notes you think sound cool)

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 2 2017, 09:55 PM

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 3 2017, 10:46 AM
Learning Roadie
i'm in !

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 3 2017, 09:44 PM
Can't wait to hear it! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 3 2017, 05:46 AM) *
i'm in !

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 5 2017, 09:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

This is preview.... only focus on melody not on the tech side, i have job to do !!

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/tapedeck-2-oct-05-22-12-05

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 5 2017, 09:51 PM
I dig it!! Have you thought of doing a multi tracked thing using octaves of what you are playing for the main melody or even a Fifth, or some time of harmony to make the melody line stick out?

Todd

[I likequote name='fzalfa' date='Oct 5 2017, 04:29 PM' post='752551']
Hi Todd

This is preview.... only focus on melody not on the tech side, i have job to do !!

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/tapedeck-2-oct-05-22-12-05

Cheers

Laurent
[/quote]

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 5 2017, 10:08 PM
Learning Roadie
humm... no

i'll do a try !!!! i sse where you want to guide me dude !!!

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 6 2017, 10:34 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

did you expect this ?

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/tapedeck-2-oct-06-23-27-07

Cheers

Laurent

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 7 2017, 07:24 PM
BINGO!!!!!! That is exactly what I was hoping for. Well done there! You put a melody through line directly in to the track and harmonized it!! Can you tell us how you came up with the harmony or is it part of the guitar sim? Either way it works quite wel. This is the kind of thing I'm always glad to hear. Being able to create a memorable melody line is what separates really great instrumental work from the rest. Look at your favorite instrumental tracks, and notice the strong melody running through it. It serves like a chorus section in a song with vocals. It's a touch stone for the entire track and you can come back to it just like a chorus before riffing based on the melody. When riffs are based on the primary melody they stick a bit better with the track and in the ear of the listener IMHO. Nice!

Todd

P.S. You are the TOP RANKED Challenger. Well Done. I've anointed your badge accordingly.

Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 6 2017, 05:34 PM) *
Hi Todd

did you expect this ?

https://soundcloud.com/dizy-laurent/tapedeck-2-oct-06-23-27-07

Cheers

Laurent

+Quote Post
fzalfa
Oct 7 2017, 07:40 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd

I have done two differents take , i play both, no software tricks !

glad you like it ! i have turn around a bit to find how to !

Cheers

Laurent

ps: i still have the 32th badge !

This post has been edited by fzalfa: Oct 7 2017, 07:41 PM

--------------------

</div>

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 9 2017, 03:24 AM
Great Work!! Sorry about the badge, there was no 33 badge so I had to make one. The ending badge number was 32. You held it, and now I made a new layer just for you at 33. You are leading the fight! Keep it up smile.gif
Attached Image

QUOTE (fzalfa @ Oct 7 2017, 02:40 PM) *
Hi Todd

I have done two differents take , i play both, no software tricks !

glad you like it ! i have turn around a bit to find how to !

Cheers

Laurent

ps: i still have the 32th badge !

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 10 2017, 01:41 AM
Get ramped up for the new BRIT COLLAB! Give this one a go!
----
Monday Solo Challenge!
(Thought we'd try Monday Instead of Sunday)
Attached Image
#55 BRIT METAL REDUX
Direct Link to this Challenge :http://bit.ly/sundayshredchallengex55
Remember the original "BRIT METAL" Collab? It was way back in sunny 2012 when Gabe went all "Iron Maiden" on us and thrust forth the first Brit Metal Collab. It was AWESOME. So awesome in fact that when I ran across it again on soundcloud I asked him if he wanted to try to make a song out of it. We are working on it now and he is doing a NEW Brit Metal Collab as a bonus!!! If you missed the first one, now is your chance, if you did one the first time, now is your chance to see how far you've come since 2012. smile.gif So please do jump in! Don't be shy!

BACKING TRACK: Attached File  British_Metal_Collab_110_bpm.mp3 ( 1.17MB ) Number of downloads: 38

Here is my original solo for reference.

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/tribute-to-british-metal-gabriel-leopardi-todd-simpson

KEY : F#

BPM: 110

SCALES TO USE: F# Minor (or any scale / notes you think sound cool)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2017, 09:50 PM
THE END

The end of the SHRED CHALLENGE that is smile.gif I want to thank everyone who participated. It was great fun to hear your takes smile.gif

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 16 2017, 03:36 PM

+Quote Post

42 Pages V  « < 39 40 41 42 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:28 AM