Silly Question
carminemarotta
Jun 10 2011, 05:34 PM
GMC:er
Hello
this is silly, well better say: I am silly.
Let's take a basic scale Am pentatonic. I play it in 5th positions, it is the famous first box. Now if I want to play the A major pentatonic, I just play the second box of the minor penatonic starting again on fret five of the low E, while if I move the first box of the minor pentatonic down the second fret I have again the major pentatonic.

I know it is me being very silly but I feel confuse, I know that all the scales are related but I am confuse (did I say that?).

Sorry for asking this, and already thanks to someone will reply (will i be kicked out of GMC to ask this).

carmine

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by carminemarotta: Jun 10 2011, 05:35 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bluesberry
Jun 10 2011, 05:56 PM
Learning Roadie
You're absolutely right. Minor pentatonic 2nd box is the Major pentatonic 1st box. The reason why, if you move the minor pentatonic first box to the second fret of E string and get the A Major pentatonic, is that F# (the second fret of E string) minor and A Major are more than related - they consist of all the same notes.

I suggest you look into Andrew's theory lessons, they should help you out. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 10 2011, 06:39 PM
Instructor
It's not a silly question at all Carmine and of course you won't be kicked out of GMC ! biggrin.gif

The same scale shapes can apply to different scales.. it just depends where you start the root note from. Also, the thing that is probably really confusing you is something called the relative Minor and relative Major. Kristian has given you an idea of it.. F# Minor Pentatonic (1st box, 2nd fret E string) has exactly the same notes as A Major Pentatonic.. it just depends whether you are playing in F# Minor or A Major.. that will determine the root note. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 10 2011, 10:31 PM
Instructor
It's not silly - it's true biggrin.gif

Am pentatonic and A major pentatonic scale share the same pattern, but not the same position on the neck.

This is normal for guitar as an instrument, we can learn only one pattern, and move it around left & right, and switch keys seamlessly (compared to keyboard players who have to learn different fingerings for every key/scale they learn - imagine that! ) smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 11 2011, 05:46 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 10 2011, 04:31 PM) *
This is normal for guitar as an instrument, we can learn only one pattern, and move it around left & right, and switch keys seamlessly (compared to keyboard players who have to learn different fingerings for every key/scale they learn - imagine that! ) smile.gif

That's just why I enjoy playing the guitar more than the piano. It's much easier. And I took piano lessons for years when I was young.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:09 PM