How I Hold My Pick !
Ben Higgins
Aug 25 2011, 09:27 AM
Instructor
Attached Image

Ok, well I hold my pick in the 'normal' way.. between the side of my index finger and my thumb. Some people hold the pick between the back of their finger and thumb but I don't recommend this as that combo is prone to more flexing and moving. So between the side of the finger and thumb and it makes that semi circle shape if you look through the gap.

Attached Image

My pick doesn't point straight into the strings, it points slightly towards the neck.

Attached Image

My hand lays quite lazily on the guitar, as if my knuckles were pointing down towards the floor.. I don't hold my hand parallel to the strings because that encourages more tension for me.. I like a slight inclination in the wrist. (As if you held out your hand and let your wrist slightly drop toward the floor.)

I pick quite hard but the combination of the pick's fat end pointing towards the floor and the point of the pick angled towards the neck mean that there is less resistance to overcome than if my pick was parallel with the strings.

Of course, there is no wrong or right way but, as I've been aksed about this a few times, this is my way. I hope this helps smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2012, 09:08 PM
GMC:er
Great post! Oddly enough, I hold my pick almost exactly the same way!

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 25 2011, 03:27 AM) *
Attached Image

Ok, well I hold my pick in the 'normal' way.. between the side of my index finger and my thumb. Some people hold the pick between the back of their finger and thumb but I don't recommend this as that combo is prone to more flexing and moving. So between the side of the finger and thumb and it makes that semi circle shape if you look through the gap.

Attached Image

My pick doesn't point straight into the strings, it points slightly towards the neck.

Attached Image

My hand lays quite lazily on the guitar, as if my knuckles were pointing down towards the floor.. I don't hold my hand parallel to the strings because that encourages more tension for me.. I like a slight inclination in the wrist. (As if you held out your hand and let your wrist slightly drop toward the floor.)

I pick quite hard but the combination of the pick's fat end pointing towards the floor and the point of the pick angled towards the neck mean that there is less resistance to overcome than if my pick was parallel with the strings.

Of course, there is no wrong or right way but, as I've been aksed about this a few times, this is my way. I hope this helps smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2012, 10:16 PM
Instructor
Great thread Ben!! I think that this is the most used way to hold the pick. It's exactly how I do it and also how many technique books suggest to do it. As you said, there is not only one way to hold the pick but this one is very effective.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:07 PM