Help With Decisions, need help deciding what to buy
RobM
Sep 21 2007, 05:15 AM
GMC:er
Figured I'd try again considering I screwed up the other post.

I'm going shopping soon (within the next 30 days) and basically getting all new stuff. I need help in deciding what amp to buy.

Amps I'm thinking about are the line 6 Spider III 120, Vox Ad120VT/Valvetronix 212 Combo or the Roland Cube 60, also taking advice on any other amps?

I've read the line 6 could be under powered, the Vox has problems with reliability (it cuts out after 1 - 2 years of use) and their customer support is useless. I have not heard anything bad about the Roland other than it's more of a "Effects" type of amp than a real power amp that delivers good tone and sound.

So you hopefully can see my dilemma?

I'm going to buy either a Gibson LP Standard or Studio or an Ibanez jem or 2550e, I just don;t know untill I try them out.

My music tastes are from The Eagles - AC/DC - Metalica - Dream theatre. So i have a wide variety I'm trying to cover.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You wish.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 21 2007, 07:47 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Is it for home use, recording, live/gigging or some combination Rob? Also do you want the amp with or without effects/modeling and any preference towards type (digital, transistor, valve...). Any must have features? ANd a price range?

Sorry for all the questions but it will help reduce the options.

Cheers,
Tony

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Understudy
Sep 21 2007, 08:02 AM
I am a huge Carvin fan, guitars and amps. Why buy a guitar off the shelf when a custom shop can put what YOU want into it, not what appeals to the masses. Just my opinion but I would check out a few manufacturers that will make you what you want, cost is not that expensive and you will have much more options as far as pick ups, wood, neck , fingerboard, switches, controls, tuners , bridge set up etc. Worth looking into IMO. Good luck

--------------------
Guitars Carvin DC-127 Ibanez RG-470
Accoustic Guitar Ovation Celebrity
Amp Marshall VS65R
Recording Gear Tascam Ministudio Porta 02 (Analog 4 track)
Boss DR-220 Dr. Rhythm Digital Drum Machine
Tuner Boss TU-12
Effects pedals Dunlop 535Q CryBaby, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Boss
CS-3 Compression Sustainer, Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, Boss DD-5 Digital Delay

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Sep 21 2007, 08:21 AM
I will throw a few recommendations around,

Amps
Peavey makes some solid stuff in the 100watts + range.
randall has some good and loud combo stuff

Line 6 is the relyable choice for learning guitarists but i don't like their stuff for gigging or even just jamming i use mine for practice.

Laney is a very big prog amp so its good for the kind of stuff u wanna play

Guitars- Ibanez is always a good choice but don't forget shecter smile.gif

all my ideas for now smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Goliath
Sep 21 2007, 11:39 AM
If you're going to be playing more leads than rhythm then i suggest the Ibanez guitars, my schecter neck has a profile similar to an LP. I like the way LPs sound but not the way they play.

Might consider looking at a Jackson Soloist as well.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 21 2007, 11:49 AM
Hey RobM
Just wanted to say that the Roland Cube 60 is a killer amp!I actually just sold the cube 30 yesterday ,but it was the best small amp i have ever played.All the effects are great sounding not fake and the options of different sounds or styles of music you can use this amp with are huge.Ido not like Vox or Marshall amps so cant recomend them.The line 6 would also be very nice,and the valvtronic's amp i havent heard.
good luck choosing biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
RobM
Sep 21 2007, 12:54 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 21 2007, 02:47 AM) *
Is it for home use, recording, live/gigging or some combination Rob? Also do you want the amp with or without effects/modeling and any preference towards type (digital, transistor, valve...). Any must have features? ANd a price range?

Sorry for all the questions but it will help reduce the options.

Cheers,
Tony

I would love to have an amp that is good for home use (with headphones of course), Recording and for gigging (when i get good enough to perfom live). As far as effects go I'm not sure if the best way to go is with amp effects, pedals or a combination of both? I think having modeling and presets is a good idea in an amp but I'm looking for your highly educated opinion here.

All I'm used to is an older (maybe 12 years) simple 30W Park amp. It's built by Marshall in case you didn't know.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 21 2007, 05:00 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (RobM @ Sep 21 2007, 01:54 PM) *
I would love to have an amp that is good for home use (with headphones of course), Recording and for gigging (when i get good enough to perfom live). As far as effects go I'm not sure if the best way to go is with amp effects, pedals or a combination of both? I think having modeling and presets is a good idea in an amp but I'm looking for your highly educated opinion here.

All I'm used to is an older (maybe 12 years) simple 30W Park amp. It's built by Marshall in case you didn't know.

I'l try to cover the questions from the other thread aswell, as good as I can.

For an amp, I'd take a serious look at the Matrix from Hughes and Kettner. It's avaibale as combo or head, 100W with headphones jack. Bedroom or live giging!
It's not a modeling amp, it's a versatile solid state. Four channels, clean, crunch , lead and warp.
It will cover all your influences in music really, hit the Warp channel and cut the mids for some heavy Dream Theater riffing.

It's the same setup of channels I got on my H&K Switchblade.
To give you an idea about what the Matrix is
Demo
Demo2
Demo3
Demo4

Then there's the ZenTera but it's very expensive.

If I was on the look for a solid state I would probably get one from H&K, they got more models than the Matrix btw. Or possibly the Roland cube.

As for recording, I'd go with a computer. I don't know your soundcard but if it has a line in for guitar it should be suitable already. For live gigs two mike plug ins should work. With a mike entrance you can also mike your amp if you prefer that.

Reaper should work perfect for a sequencer tool.

The guitars. You should try them out. Ibanez and Les Paul feels so differnt to play. Seeing your preferences in music I think the tone from a gibson would suit you better. If you need 24 frets the Ibanez is your only option. But as fkalish says, real men play Gibson wink.gif
I belive you will enjoy Eagles better from a Les Paul than you will suffer from playing Dream Theater on it, than the other way around. Though I can feel myself that an Ibanez is more comfortable. *grmbl* just try em out and pick the better one biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
RobM
Sep 22 2007, 12:44 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 21 2007, 12:00 PM) *
I'l try to cover the questions from the other thread aswell, as good as I can.

For an amp, I'd take a serious look at the Matrix from Hughes and Kettner. It's avaibale as combo or head, 100W with headphones jack. Bedroom or live giging!
It's not a modeling amp, it's a versatile solid state. Four channels, clean, crunch , lead and warp.
It will cover all your influences in music really, hit the Warp channel and cut the mids for some heavy Dream Theater riffing.

It's the same setup of channels I got on my H&K Switchblade.
To give you an idea about what the Matrix is
Demo
Demo2
Demo3
Demo4

Then there's the ZenTera but it's very expensive.

If I was on the look for a solid state I would probably get one from H&K, they got more models than the Matrix btw. Or possibly the Roland cube.

As for recording, I'd go with a computer. I don't know your soundcard but if it has a line in for guitar it should be suitable already. For live gigs two mike plug ins should work. With a mike entrance you can also mike your amp if you prefer that.

Reaper should work perfect for a sequencer tool.

The guitars. You should try them out. Ibanez and Les Paul feels so differnt to play. Seeing your preferences in music I think the tone from a gibson would suit you better. If you need 24 frets the Ibanez is your only option. But as fkalish says, real men play Gibson wink.gif
I belive you will enjoy Eagles better from a Les Paul than you will suffer from playing Dream Theater on it, than the other way around. Though I can feel myself that an Ibanez is more comfortable. *grmbl* just try em out and pick the better one biggrin.gif

Thanks Mike, I appreciate your input, those Amps really do sound good and are pretty affordable to. I have a creative labs X-FI Extreme Music sound card in my system but was thinking of maybe changing that to something else as I have to rebuild my kids computer and I was going to use the parts from the computer that I built about a year ago and then buy new parts for mine.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 22 2007, 12:54 AM
H&K are great amps like MickeM says and the headphone lets you use a gigging amp at bedroom levels that has to be a big bonus.

Also agree that if you can you should go in to a guitar shop and try out as many as you can. Don't be intimidated - you're paying good money so need to try them. Try some that are more then you want to pay as well as a few cheaper ones so that you get a sense as to what you are paying for - and indeed whether or not you need a 1000USD (for example) or really need/want a 1500USD one or could get by with a 500USD one.

Don't btw just look at the well known brand names - there are many excellent small guitar makers that don't get the publicty of Fender/Gibson/Ibanez etc but build guitars just as good - and sometimes better.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
RobM
Sep 22 2007, 03:43 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 21 2007, 07:54 PM) *
H&K are great amps like MickeM says and the headphone lets you use a gigging amp at bedroom levels that has to be a big bonus.

Also agree that if you can you should go in to a guitar shop and try out as many as you can. Don't be intimidated - you're paying good money so need to try them. Try some that are more then you want to pay as well as a few cheaper ones so that you get a sense as to what you are paying for - and indeed whether or not you need a 1000USD (for example) or really need/want a 1500USD one or could get by with a 500USD one.

Don't btw just look at the well known brand names - there are many excellent small guitar makers that don't get the publicty of Fender/Gibson/Ibanez etc but build guitars just as good - and sometimes better.

Cheers,
Tony

Thanks for the help, I did have a question about guitars and neck radius, this is more than likely going to really show how lacking for knowledge I am but:

When looking at guitars I've noticed that I can get as small a radius as 10 inches or as large a radius as 16 inches. Now radius from what I think, is the smaller the radius the smaller around the entire neck is? Round part + flat part (the fretboard)? So in essence a 10inch radius would be better for someone with smaller hands and a 14 inch radius is for someone with normal to big hands? Is this correct? No idea if my hands are considered normal, small or large? To give you some idea I now play on a Yamaha Pacifica and the radius on that is 13 3/4. It's OK but i would prefer something slightly smaller. Gibson don't tell you the radius other than saying 50's round or 60's slim taper etc, whatever that means? Ibanez is 430 I assume it's MM's which from what I can tell is almost 17 inches, if my theory is correct the ibanez has a very large neck as well as a bridge that's a pain in the butt. If true that guitar is certainly not for me.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 22 2007, 05:58 AM
Afraid it gets more complicated Rob. The neck profile can be different - some guitars have a very pronounced 'C' type profile, some a 'D', some have a compound radius (where the profile changes down the neck). I have two Gibsons one with quite a definite 'c' and one which is closer to a 'd'. Further the radius - although it can, and does, affect comfort/playability if you have a small hand width is only one factor. You also need to take in to account other issues like finger board width (which relates to radius), fret profile and height, neck/scale length. Style of playing is also an issue - if you fingerpick/play classical then having a wider board is a plus whilst most electric guitar players get more used to a narrow width.

The best option imo is to try out as many as you can to see which neck feels good to you. For me playing a few is far easier and quicker then trying to get technical answers out of most shop staff smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 22 2007, 07:19 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 21 2007, 11:58 PM) *
Afraid it gets more complicated Rob. The neck profile can be different - some guitars have a very pronounced 'C' type profile, some a 'D', some have a compound radius (where the profile changes down the neck). I have two Gibsons one with quite a definite 'c' and one which is closer to a 'd'. Further the radius - although it can, and does, affect comfort/playability if you have a small hand width is only one factor. You also need to take in to account other issues like finger board width (which relates to radius), fret profile and height, neck/scale length. Style of playing is also an issue - if you fingerpick/play classical then having a wider board is a plus whilst most electric guitar players get more used to a narrow width.

The best option imo is to try out as many as you can to see which neck feels good to you. For me playing a few is far easier and quicker then trying to get technical answers out of most shop staff smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

Here is a link with pictures of the necks Tony Mentioned.

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic....810c01def68fcb7

All Gibsons have 12 inch radius necks. May be a few exceptions, but few.

The radius measurement is really independent of neck width. 17 inch means that if the fret board was a section of a circle, that circle would have a radius of 17 inches from the neck.

So you can see, that would be flatter than a 12 inch neck.

The radius can come into play, in that a very curved neck would cancel out bends if the action was set very low. Some of these guys do set it very low. Tony does not. I have only a fraction of his experience, but I have learned to raise mine. Yngwie plays a fender with a 9.5 radius neck I believe, his model is that. So unless you really want to set your action low, this should not be a problem.

I am not sure what the advantage of a 17 inch neck is supposed to be for shredding, other than one could set the action very very low. Personally, I feel the 12 inch is probably about right. Eric Johnson has a 12 inch, some Fenders do.

I believe the actual neck width (that is, the spread of the strings) is the same on an Ibanez as on a Gibson.

Personally I feel, this is much like Rifles. There are a number of quality brands, and people will argue over which is the best, but a good shooter will drop the deer using any of them.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 22 2007, 07:27 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 22 2007, 12:19 AM) *
Here is a link with pictures of the necks Tony Mentioned.

http://www.shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic....810c01def68fcb7

I have only a fraction of his experience,

... sadly my experience is very groundhog day - too much repetition rather than new stuff rolleyes.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 22 2007, 07:58 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 22 2007, 01:27 AM) *
... sadly my experience is very groundhog day - too much repetition rather than new stuff rolleyes.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

When I was growing up, my sister played piano. She would learn a piece about 90%, where she still made a few mistakes here and there. Then move on to the next. Never mastered anything, and certainly never reaching a point of such comfort with a piece that she could take it to a higher level of interpretation.

Personally, I feel it is much better to know a smaller number things very well, than a volume of things so-so.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Sep 22 2007, 08:00 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:52 PM