3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Special Fx
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 15 2013, 11:32 AM
Instructor
Are you alternate picking and pulling on the whammy against towards the guitar body, in order to gradually tension the strings ? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 15 2013, 02:22 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 15 2013, 11:32 AM) *
Are you alternate picking and pulling on the whammy against towards the guitar body, in order to gradually tension the strings ? smile.gif

Yes, with the method you've described, a very similar sound can be achieved.
But here I've used a different method smile.gif I do something very specific with the pick, and the left hand does something, too. I didn't use the whammy bar in this one though.

Let's see whether we have some more guesses, before resolving this UFO-riddle smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 16 2013, 04:53 PM
Instructor
Alright man, looking forward to find out tongue.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 16 2013, 09:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
here is a couple

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 17 2013, 08:00 AM
Instructor
Oh, and he also did the elephant noise smile.gif There's one more coming up from me when I get home this afternoon biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 18 2013, 03:23 PM
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 15 2013, 10:26 AM) *
I've found another cool guitar trick I've invented a long ago: it's a UFO take off sound!

http://soundcloud.com/jonas-tamas-guitar/crazy-guitar-tricks-14-ufo

Can you guess how I've made it?

This is the way to do this trick. Dampen all the strings with your left hand, around frets 5-8. Then hold the pick upside down (so the flat end touches the strings). Start to mover ('rasp') the D-G strings with an up-down motion around fret 12, and then gradually go towards the pickups, while keeping on rasping.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 19 2013, 09:34 AM
Instructor
Decided to let Steve do his job, instead f me recording it (don't have a wah pedal at home unfortunately) so here we go - The laughing guitar!

Check out sec 0:32

You need a floating tremolo bridge and a wah pedal for this. Start on a higher fret with the bar pressed, then just release the bar and at the same time, toe down the wah pedal. Do this in succession, fretting lower each time biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 21 2013, 09:35 AM
I've come up with this sound today, I call it the "Falling Down" trick.

https://soundcloud.com/jonas-tamas-guitar/the-falling-down-guitar-trick

Can you guess how it's made? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 21 2013, 09:47 AM
Instructor
Sounds like you're raking the pick against the strings (maybe the D and G strings?) starting from the bridge towards the neck? T'would be too easy, so I don't bet on it though biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 21 2013, 09:55 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 21 2013, 09:47 AM) *
Sounds like you're raking the pick against the strings (maybe the D and G strings?) starting from the bridge towards the neck? T'would be too easy, so I don't bet on it though biggrin.gif

Yes, you are right. It was an easier one than the donkey or forest bird sound earlier smile.gif

I've used the long side of the pick, and started the quick up-down movement above fret 22, while gradually sliding towards the lower frets.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 22 2013, 09:33 AM
Instructor
Hehe smile.gif Jonas, it seems you are packed with these - how about another one?

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 23 2013, 12:34 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 22 2013, 09:33 AM) *
Hehe smile.gif Jonas, it seems you are packed with these - how about another one?

OK, I'll scan my folders, and bring another one soon! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 24 2013, 05:01 PM
Instructor
Perfect - I appreciate your skills in this area man!

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 27 2013, 09:31 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 24 2013, 05:01 PM) *
Perfect - I appreciate your skills in this area man!

This is my "Crazy slide" trick. It is obviously a slide, but as you can hear, the intervals are a lot bigger than the minor 2nd intervals would be that given by the frets.

https://soundcloud.com/jonas-tamas-guitar/crazy-slide

How can we produce this slide? (No other objects were used smile.gif )

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Crazy_slide.mp3 ( 32.65K ) Number of downloads: 32

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 27 2013, 10:10 AM
Instructor
You pulled the string outside the fretboard and slid from there? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 27 2013, 10:20 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 27 2013, 10:10 AM) *
You pulled the string outside the fretboard and slid from there? smile.gif

That was quick, you get all the tiny details and tricks, Cosmin! smile.gif

I take it as a challenge and create a new one soon! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 27 2013, 10:24 AM
Instructor
By all means sir! biggrin.gif Please do!

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 27 2013, 10:47 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 27 2013, 10:24 AM) *
By all means sir! biggrin.gif Please do!

smile.gif

OK, this is the "Crazy Rain Forest Midnight Sound" guitar trick. This trick is really hard to guess - there is something special happening at the middle of the note...

https://soundcloud.com/jonas-tamas-guitar/the-crazy-rain-forest-midnight

Attached File(s)
Attached File  The_Crazy_Rain_Forest_Midnight_Sound_guitar_trick.wav ( 584.13K ) Number of downloads: 29

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 28 2013, 09:04 AM
Instructor
Hmmm - I think I will wait for your input on this one wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 28 2013, 10:12 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 28 2013, 09:04 AM) *
Hmmm - I think I will wait for your input on this one wink.gif

Actually, this sound can only be produced with a Floyd Rose guitar with a too low string height. One of my students has brought his guitar this week before taking it to set up properly. And I've used the opportunity to record this sound:) Just pick a note then pull the tremolo bar upwards, and the string "sits down" to a higher fret, which chokes the sound. It is a really crazy trick, because you'd need a bad setup guitar to pull it off! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:01 AM