> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

14 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Monkeydathos's Technique & Creative Concepts, for Gab's Army
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 3 2017, 04:16 PM
GMC:er
Music wise for the combo class. I am working on the following songs:

- Song for my father;
- Caravan;
- All Blues
- All of Me;

Guitar Class:
- Doing Major scales in eighth note triplets, 16th notes.
- Going up the scale but using Triads.
- Also have to play a blues to a metronome. Isolating the chords, the arpeggios of the chords and the melody. I picked Bag's Groove its fairly simple, but I really like it.
- I have to improvise over a blues.

Theory Class.
- Interval and Chord recognition
- Melodic and Rhythmic Dictation.

Sigh tons of work.

My main goal is to be able to improvise, something like this.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Jazz_N...h_Chromaticism/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 4 2017, 05:18 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 5 2017, 09:11 PM
Instructor
That's a perfect plan! It covers many important aspects, so you are definitely going on the right track.

Keep on the hard work!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 22 2017, 05:34 AM
Well.. hope you don't mind me blowing off steam.

I've learnt a lot in the school, but it's a double edge sword. I've made a lot of friends, but I don't really feel like I belong there.

The guitar oriented classes, well i don't know if I can really call it a class, seeing I have to most of the time i have to end up using youtube to actually understand what we spoke in class. Seeing as the teacher really doesn't gives us path to follow if we don't have a concrete question.

I actually feel a stronger student - teacher connection with you, and we are just trading messages in a forum, often with large period of no interaction. Than him, where we are taking the class in flesh. huh.gif every week.

An example being the playing on 2 and 4 with the metronome, he never talked about it and simple told us we got play like that in the exam.
Even when I asked for help regarding jazz basic rhythms. He told me he couldn't really teach me and I had to listen. Which I agree! Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of one taking the initiative and search, but when I have no clue what to search for or what kind of questions I should be asking, it kind takes the double of time and double frustration. (Especially in my case, seeing I not coming from a Jazz background. Even in combo, sometimes I just get lost and **** things up and even though everyone is nice and patient, I can feel the bad vibes)

Alas, I butchered the exam. Although I've been starting to feel the 2 and 4 a lot more naturally as of late.

But goddamn, this week when I got home...I had no motivation what so ever to pick up the guitar, to learn music, or simply listening to any form of music and it's not the first time this happens. More often than not I've been haunted with thoughts of quit music altogether, seriously thinking that i am not cut for this. unsure.gif huh.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 22 2017, 05:55 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 23 2017, 04:22 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I'm sorry of reading this.

I understand what you say. I've also went to music school and conservatory and had a similar feeling. The teacher, mostly the guitar teacher weren't committed enough. So I quited and continued my own journey, with private instructors, books, clinics and nowadays internet.

If I were you, I would give this some more time, since the structure that you have at a music school is great, and we are forced to study things that are important and that maybe we wouldn't study by our own.

However, you need to know that the school won't be enough, it will be a part of everything you need to do to become a well rounded musician.

I'm worried about the fact that the school is quitting motivation to make music. This is not a good thing. I would get back to those things that make you love playing music. Maybe some live video concerts, albums, going to see any guitarist or band live?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 25 2017, 09:04 AM
Ye, I used to wake up and be like, gonna practice today and usually i would feel pretty happy at the end of the day! Nowadays it feels more like, ye I have to go practice because I need a passing grade, not because I actually want to play the X standard with the X inversions. I look at the guitar and see homework rather than music.

Sigh. I dunno man.
Gonna give it some more time though but I can't really see any clear path forwards or backwards right now, kinda stuck in this state of mind.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 25 2017, 09:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 26 2017, 05:06 PM
Instructor
Yeah, I understand. Maybe you don't like the fact that this becomes a must as it was the school. I hope that you find the way to follow it and enjoy it, because you won't regret all the things that you'll learn there.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 27 2017, 07:52 PM
Hey Gab.
Just to let you know I am still alive. I got one of those fancy cellphones you kids have tongue.gif.
Which means I can finally post videos with somehow decent quality.

So here is a little one from today's practice session. Sorry still have to figure how to lose the vertical mode.

And plz don't mind my horrible voice, I am simply trying to to hit notes from E minor, from thought, still have an hard time hearing 2nd, 6th and 7th. I can recognize the intervals in a couple of seconds but if you ask me to sing them, that is a whole new question. Still get out of tune a lot.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Dec 27 2017, 07:56 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 27 2017, 08:00 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

Great to find that you can provide videos easily, and also good to see you training your ear and vocals with intervals. This is a must done diary exercise. Your overall playing and improvisation (as well as composition) will be affected with this.

Great job!! Please keep me updated.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 28 2017, 01:51 PM
I've been doing 100 questions for 4 days nows.
I am just keeping ascending intervals (but harmonic and melodic) in one octave, through random keys.

Some times If the interval is really high register...I kinda mess up major sevens and minor 2nds (as you can see in the img), another common mistake I often make, is if I mess up an interval I kinda lose my posture and derail the following ones. tongue.gif Have to stop for a bit and reset brain.

Also got sing this for my ear train class end semester exam.
From 1:22 till the end.

May god help me biggrin.gif

Also been practicing transcribing solos. Here's what I got from Chet's solo on I fall in love too easily.

The hardest thing, is the timing of the phrases. I often tend to rush it. Still working on it though.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Dec 28 2017, 04:01 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 28 2017, 04:11 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!! Everything is great on this new post!

All these things are great training for your musically. Singing that beautiful song, and playing that amazing solo are great moves my friend. I'm never been very into Chet's music, but this post inspired me to listen to him today. I'll have a Chet's week. biggrin.gif

Is there any album that you'd recommend?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 1 2018, 06:30 PM
Oh, sorry didn't see your post, I guess

Would a good place as any. To be honest I like to listen to Chet's when I am trying to get some romantics/sweets licks biggrin.gif
But its not someone I listen to very often.

Not going to lie, I am having a tough time finding some jazz musician that really speak to me.

Btw, been practicing improvisation and playing the changes, what do you think.

There isn't much fancy stuff going on...when it comes to improv I usually stick with simple melodies, because will i kinda suck at it. ~ Also I think a lot in arpeggios rather than scales, or at least I try to be aware of the root notes, from there I know where I can pick any interval. Still I am only comfortable in some small regions of the guitar neck.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 1 2018, 06:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 2 2018, 02:38 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the link!

I understand what you say about "not finding a jazz artist that talks to you". Maybe you won't, but it can happen with any more contemporary fusion musician. However, it's good to get familiar with the whole evolution of a genre that we are studying because it makes us undertand it better.

The improvisation vid is good! I can see you following the chords well. The best way to improve your phrasing is to continue practicing, experimenting with different rhythms, silence, and also listening and learning jazz heroes playing over the similar grooves and progressions. The main thing that this improv is lacking is a phrasing development. Get into this concept.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 2 2018, 07:05 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 2 2018, 01:38 PM) *
The main thing that this improv is lacking is a phrasing development. Get into this concept.

Could you give some examples of a good phrasing development in a improv invorment.

Kinda need a few doses of inspiration.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 2 2018, 07:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 4 2018, 02:33 PM
Instructor
Sure!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 19 2018, 11:53 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 4 2018, 01:33 PM) *
Sure!!

Thanks for sharing.
I enjoyed all! I can pull lot any of the tracks you you shared dig it, but the only one I would put on repeat is Mateus one.

I was checking Scott Henderson's video and I really dig it, but would listen to it to probably steal a few licks rather than actually enjoy it for only music sake. tbh I've think I've grown a bit tired of it.

Wes Montegomery's one present one of the main issues that I found since I've started music school biggrin.gif If it were only doublebass, drums and piano I would have enjoyed it way better. I just don't find the guitar in that environment very appealing (I am not saying its bad, It just doesn't do anything to me).

That being said honestly think when it comes to "jazzy" not jazz! guitar. My heart tends to move towards funk/neo-soul/math kind of vibe.
I think that's were I'll start investing and try apply it in school, even if just sneaky.

Edit: Damn been really diggin jazzy soul stuff, especially when they get a little fancy with the chords. Do you have any like suggestion for albums? It doesn't have to be guitar albums.
Man it's been a while since I felt this hype about guitar! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Been watching this.

To kinda get a grip on the overall standard progressions, my main goal for the next few months are probably gonna to be getting down the voices some how similar to the piano with the guitar (tbh I probably should learn some piano myself, for real not casually) and adding little lead fills like you often see Mateus using.
biggrin.gif I am all pumped!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 22 2018, 04:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 22 2018, 02:57 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, I can get what you are feeling. The reason why most guys that like funk, neo soul and math get into jazz is because that's were you'll find the roots of all. However, it's not a must if you don't enjoy it.

There are lots of guitarists exploring that stuff nowadays, mostly at instagram, but also at youtube. I think that you already know the most popular ones like Asato, the guy that plays at Zoology band, Chon, among many others.

This guy is awesome:

And I think that you'll find useful the vids of this guy:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 2 2018, 08:11 PM
Sorry for the low activity here. I have been mainly focus on composing stuff these past few days. Still trying to get the hang of program like a drum sketch, and what not. But I am quite happy. I wrote more stuff these last few days than the previous whole year.

Also thank you! Was watching the video you shared about arpeggios and busy people and I think I figured out a system for practicing them. This is probably take me like a year to get down all the standard major, minor, dominant and diminish.

Basically just an octave and try to make the most of it until it's ingrained in my DNA.

Like in the video I i tried to improvise something with head, body and feet. Using only an e minor loop and using only one octave.

Hm, do you think this is an effecient way, or am I being too extreme about it, taking it super slow and really small steps.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Feb 2 2018, 08:16 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 5 2018, 12:48 AM
Instructor
Hi mate, great to hear from you!

I'm glad to know that the "busy people" video has given you ideas on how to organise your practice. From what I can see in your video and imagine that you are doing, I feel that this is an effective approach. It would be great if you experiment with it for some days / weeks and then tell me the results that you get.

Regarding composition, that's great! how is it going? Are there any new tunes coming?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 6 2018, 08:59 PM
Managed to score a 15 on both combo and instrument class (from 0-20), I was really nervous like reallly you can't even begin to comprehend, I was actually thinking I would get a like 9 or 10...but I was quite surprised.

Got to score a 19,5 on the theory exam, although I had like to go make and do some scales to do some answers. Although the oral exam was quite...hmm bad! The nerves got me. I nailed the first exercise but then, I missed a couple my note my throat started to get really dry.... and I started to fail left and right sigh. Both Oral and Ear are mixed together, so I think the ear part is actually going to be my saving grace. Ugh but I am not hoping for a very impressive grade tbh.

About composition: Ye! Cael been helping me around with writing drums. I have mainly writing in guitar pro 6. Cuz well, the life of a poor college boy is kinda hitting me.
Already have 3 songs on the going. But alas have 5 new songs to learn for music school so I might have to postpone it a bit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 7 2018, 03:15 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

Congrats on the exam! I can see that all these are great news and nice experiences. I'm glad to know that music keeps you very busy. Enjoy it, it's a very nice moment in your life and you'll remember it with happiness in the future.

Hi mate,

Congrats on the exam! I can see that all these are great news and nice experiences. I'm glad to know that music keeps you very busy. Enjoy it, it's a very nice moment in your life and you'll remember it with happiness in the future.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:28 AM