4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Phil Anselmo: A Racist
Arpeggio
Feb 13 2016, 11:41 PM
GMC:er
I think what Phil really said was: WHY SHOWER?!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 14 2016, 04:55 PM
QUOTE (Arpeggio @ Feb 13 2016, 02:41 PM) *

laugh.gif

Getting a little deeper and more overarchingly into it, and I'm gonna use both Donald Trump and Beyonce, it's all about publicity in my opinion. They're both all about the media. It's all they know. Bey's not a 'great' musician and Trump's not a 'great' business man (they're both good, but not great - 'great' is Jimi Hendrix and Bill Gates). But they are both really great at making you think so.

Beyonce - she doesn't give a damn about black power or the Panthers and I seriously doubt she hates the police. She's a very very rich media super star. Her thing is all about fashion, manipulating the public by using current events, getting 'likes' on social media and figuring out how to stay relevant as she gets a bit older. As I mentioned, she figured out how to piss off both the left and the right - always a guaranteed way to stay relevant. At the end of the day - she's a pop star. She got her face in news and moved a bunch of product. Win.

the Donald - basically the same thing. Aligns himself with the fears of one group and pisses off the other side with politically incorrect rhetoric. You think he doesn't play that? What kind of business man is DT? He made his money in real estate. He's a salesman. A pretty good one and real estate can be tough, especially if you speculate (Atlantic City).
DT is all bluster and pomp. He wouldn't/couldn't do half the stuff he talks about (congress, courts and other countries to deal with). He'd most likely just end up being a relatively bureaucratic president who says funny things now and again.
He says wacky shit, makes a big mess wherever he goes. The media loves that stuff. It swoons (both directions). He's like P.T. Barnum. Consequently, he's the GOP front runner. Win.

*Jimmy Carter recently said he'd vote for Donald Trump over Ted Cruz if those were the choices. He says Trump knows how to 'deal'. I agree.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 14 2016, 06:45 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 15 2016, 03:14 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 14 2016, 04:55 PM) *
:lol
Beyonce - she doesn't give a damn about black power or the Panthers and I seriously doubt she hates the police. She's a very

Trump has bankrupted more companies than the wrong notes I hit trying to play a Ben higgins lesson and the situation about phil or bey is after all pretty small beans, what urks me is that someone gets so bent out of shape about one and couldn't care less about the other . To me that is inconsistent to core and am so sick of seeing everyone jump on the bandwagon against phil and then turn around and party with the queen

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Feb 15 2016, 03:17 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 15 2016, 09:49 AM
All in all, I still support folks (especially in the Metal Community) calling out Phil for being a bit of a white supremicist and then for being not man enough to even own up to it. Bad Phil! Bad! Still love Pantera's Music but Phils "white power"ness is really boring. sad.gif

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 15 2016, 05:15 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 14 2016, 06:14 PM) *
Trump has bankrupted more companies than the wrong notes I hit trying to play a Ben higgins lesson and the situation about phil or bey is after all pretty small beans, what urks me is that someone gets so bent out of shape about one and couldn't care less about the other . To me that is inconsistent to core and am so sick of seeing everyone jump on the bandwagon against phil and then turn around and party with the queen

Therein lies the insidiousness of it all.
The Phil thing doesn't freak me out too much. As I said, white power's been on the edges of punk and metal since the late 70s. Phil just happened to do it now, in front of somebody's phone and that someone posted it and it went viral - bad timing Phil.
Black power has been laced into soul since the mid 60s - Curtis Mayfield, Oscar Brown Jr., Gil Scott Heron and it's been in jazz since it's inception. Billie Holiday comes to mind with 'Strange Fruit' but, as mentioned by AK Rich (I think?), it, including Anselmo is all relatively 'fringe'. Most of those artists were not/are not top 10 material. Also, with the jazz and soul it's 1) generally not overt and 2) pre cell phone video.

You never know what's gonna resonate.
So why Phil or why Phil now? My hypothesis is 'timing'. Right now, especially among the younger demographic (40 and below), being seen as white bigot is just about the most uncool thing there is. Phil is almost 50 years old. In the early 80s you could get away with that shit. Most of his audience (now) is younger. Especially the ones going to the shows. Those folks don't wanna see that crap (a nazi salute) at a show. They're all into social justice. Or, they think it's cool to be into social justice. Timing and lighting.

Now Donald Trump and Beyonce ... they figured out how to use the big screen and the ubiquitous small screen (your phone) for their 'message'. That message, IMO is just for their own personal gain - money and power. They know that even a 'perceived' negative message can be turned/manipulated to their advantage. Even if it's only short term. Get both sides talking ... or yelling. Get your money (or your election) now and don't worry about whatever comes later.
Bey is beautiful and Trump is rich. In general, Americans idolize and lionize pretty and rich. The media used to lead or instruct the populace. Now they just follow.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 15 2016, 06:05 PM

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 15 2016, 06:05 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 15 2016, 07:15 AM) *
The media used to lead or instruct the populace. Now they just follow.

To me the media is still trying to lead or instruct, it's just that lately it isn't working at all for them especially when it comes to Trump. As hard as they try to take him down, it has only had the opposite effect. Trump has framed the dialogue as to what this election cycle is about and the media is fit to be tied. It's very refreshing.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 15 2016, 06:40 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 15 2016, 09:05 AM) *
To me the media is still trying to lead or instruct, it's just that lately it isn't working at all for them especially when it comes to Trump. As hard as they try to take him down, it has only had the opposite effect. Trump has framed the dialogue as to what this election cycle is about and the media is fit to be tied. It's very refreshing.

True.
Though I would argue that most of the media isn't smart enough (anymore) to really engage him in a way that he'll play for real. They've had 3 decades of dumbing down - and the Donald knows that, he watched it as it happened, even participated in it. And we the people got used to it. It's way easier to make decisions based on a rudimentary understanding of economics, government, society and politics. Especially when it's all 'headlines' and memes or tin foil hat conspiracy theory BS. It's all just a reality show now ... and most folks don't know the difference.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 15 2016, 09:15 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 15 2016, 08:40 AM) *
and most folks don't know the difference.

You'll get no argument from me on that other than to say I think there are quite a few that know the difference. At least I hope so. Other than that, I really couldn't agree more.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 16 2016, 05:52 AM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 15 2016, 12:15 PM) *
You'll get no argument from me on that other than to say I think there are quite a few that know the difference. At least I hope so. Other than that, I really couldn't agree more.

As long as it's 51% we'll be OK.

*People have to vote though ... getting them to do that has also proven to be problematic.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 23 2016, 04:45 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 12 2016, 06:02 PM) *
yes I am and I don't see how this isn't hypocritical of you , A white guy can't say white power but A black women can give a Black power salute and it's fine with you, please help me to understand your thought process

I dig your equality Ken with them both, it's consistent and It's refreshing

I do not understand your standpoint.

If I got you right, you think it's wrong that some people are offended by Phil's act when [you think] there are worse problems?

What you seem to miss, is that this thread is an initiative against racism in music. So if you think there are more important areas to address within racism in music, then maybe you could more clearly explain what they are, and what you have done to make a positive change? Because so far all I am hearing from you are complaints, no constructive suggestions / actions whatsoever.

QUOTE (Arpeggio @ Feb 13 2016, 11:41 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 24 2016, 03:24 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 23 2016, 04:45 PM) *
I do not understand your standpoint.

If I got you right, you think it's wrong that some people are offended by Phil's act when [you think] there are worse problems?

What you seem to miss, is that this thread is an initiative against racism in music. So if you think there are more important areas to address within racism in music, then maybe you could more clearly explain what they are, and what you have done to make a positive change? Because so far all I am hearing from you are complaints, no constructive suggestions / actions whatsoever.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

I think you are way off of my thought. Why does phil's actions (in music) offend you and beyonces same actions (in music at the superbowl ) not !. That to me is hypocritical even if you are prioritizing or not

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 24 2016, 07:59 AM
Phil gave up on bathing long ago, you could be correct smile.gif Or maybe PINE FLOWER!!! He is a Southerner after all and quite a gardener.

QUOTE (Arpeggio @ Feb 13 2016, 05:41 PM) *

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:15 PM