Not sure where to begin
Doug
Oct 25 2006, 04:39 PM
GMC:er
Hey Kris,

I saw someone else posted this same type of question, but I didnt want to hijack his thread.
I am 32 and have been playing for a couple of months and have learned a decent amount I think. It is overwhelming how much material is around for guitarists to learn from. I said in my first posting under the "Introduce yourself" tab that I wanted to learn to play fast and fluid. I really have many interests and would love to be an overall good player, not just one aspect.
Where would you recommen starting, that is if I've given you enough information?

Last night I watched the Metronome video. But then I see a print out of a song sitting on my table and start to tinker with that. Maybe I have ADD, LOL.
Is it possible to progress in that way, or should I stick to one 'song' or 'method' and become proficient at it, then move on?

I'm just trying to grasp the whole picture here.

Thanks

Doug

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 26 2006, 07:27 AM
GMC Founder
I believe you should stick to one song/lesson at least for a while (couple of practicing days) . If you then strongly feel you need to move on - do so! You have to balance in order to maintain motivation.

The easiest way to develop fast and fluid playing is tapping! So I suggest you try ang go through the whole tapping lessons serie at gmc!

--Kris

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug
Oct 26 2006, 04:02 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 26 2006, 02:27 AM) *
I believe you should stick to one song/lesson at least for a while (couple of practicing days) . If you then strongly feel you need to move on - do so! You have to balance in order to maintain motivation.

The easiest way to develop fast and fluid playing is tapping! So I suggest you try ang go through the whole tapping lessons serie at gmc!

--Kris

Thanks Kris. That seems like a good way to go.
I have an idea that may make your website more user friendly. How about an automatically generated email sent to you when someone replies to your post in the forums.

Doug

+Quote Post
PickNGrin
Oct 26 2006, 05:11 PM
How about an automatically generated email sent to you when someone replies to your post in the forums.

This forum is new, and I havent used this feature yet. But I believe what you want to do is "subscribe to this forum" Open the forum your post is in. you then check the boxes of each thread you would like to be notified of when a response is posted. Then click "subscribe to this forum" -Its near the right hand top of the screen. It will open with several e-mail notification options for you to choose from! biggrin.gif

As far as the "where do I start", most people need to have some degree of perserverance and stick to some skill level drills. Going straight to fast shred seems like a lofty goal to me. Most good shreaders have a pretty good knowledge of the foundations they are shredding over. But, it's a lot more fun when you are doing things that you like, as opposed to some of the excersize routines out there. So, I always had several different things to work on each night, just to keep it interesting...I'd practice longer!

This post has been edited by PickNGrin: Oct 26 2006, 05:11 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 26 2006, 06:54 PM
GMC Founder
In the upper right corner click "options" (scroll up to top) - go there and click "track this topic"... voilà biggrin.gif

Ladies and gentlemen we have got a p-r-o-f-e-s-s-i-o-n-a-l board , this is required for p-r-o-f-e-s-s-i-o-n-a-l guitarists! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--Kris

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug
Oct 27 2006, 07:33 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Oct 26 2006, 01:54 PM) *
In the upper right corner click "options" (scroll up to top) - go there and click "track this topic"... voilà biggrin.gif

Ladies and gentlemen we have got a p-r-o-f-e-s-s-i-o-n-a-l board , this is required for p-r-o-f-e-s-s-i-o-n-a-l guitarists! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--Kris

OK. I'm an idiot, I sould have seen that. In replying to this message I see a check box option where you can "Enable email notification of replies"..wow it's been a long day already smile.gif
So, the song I chose to work on and try get down perfect is Sweet Child of Mine. But I have a question that I'm sure relates to any song. How do you play the scales below? Are all 6 strings really supposed to be fretted? I've also seen bars with 2 notes on top of each other, rather than the 3 shown below. What's shown below is "Far Behind" by Candlebox.
Thanks
Doug

e----3----3----3----3----3----3----3----3--|
B----3----3----3----3----3----3----3----3--|
G----4----4----4----4----4----4----4----4--|
D----5----5----5----5----5----5----5----5--|
A----5----5----5----5----5----5----5----5--|
E----3----3----3----3----3----3----3----3--|

e---------------------------------------------|
B---------------------------------------------|
G---------9--9-------9----------9--9-------9--|
D---------9--9-------9----------9--9-------9--|
A---------7--7-------7----------7--7-------7--|
E--0------------0-0-------0-----------0-0-----|

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Oct 27 2006, 07:56 PM
Doug,

Those are not scales - they are chords - Barre chords

Read the lesseons here
Barre chords and other great lessons from Marshall amps
which also have some good photos of how to place your fingers - there are several lessons that are all good - try them all and you will see what a barre chord is and how to play it.

The first bar above shows the G Barre chord strummed several times.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Doug
Oct 27 2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks fretdancer! Looks like that will come in handy.

doug

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:08 PM