Great 80's Thrash Metal Tone, The good old days of cranked Marshall tone
Mudbone
Dec 4 2010, 02:54 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
To me, this is one of the greatest metal tones of all time. When I think of Heavy Metal guitar, this is the tone that comes to mind biggrin.gif Software emulators have their purpose, but they can never recreate this tone.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 10 2010, 12:54 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Dec 10 2010, 02:34 AM) *

Old music sounds better turned up really loud, its more dynamic and less compressed than todays production. It seems like music today is produced for use with ipods and the like. In order to get the big bottom end on tiny ear buds the bass needs to be boosted. But when you play the same stuff on a regular stereo system its too bassy and compressed. If you can't get an album produced in the 80's to sound good, you're not turning it up loud enough tongue.gif

In part.

The increase in volume for commercial CDs goes back before I-Pods albeit that it's gotten worse in the last few years. Very few MEs master specifically for I-Pod reproduction, what we do is master to maximise translation across systems. WRT I-Pods often the problem is caused by poor format conversion by the digital re-distributor including compression caused by poor conversion, distortion from intersample overs and not turning off the various options that Apple provide for format shifting a CDA to AAC.

What you're describing regarding bass is due to the Fletcher Munson effect, where how well people hear low and very high frequencies in comparison to the high mid is dependent on volume. The ideal production of the full frequency spectrum however does not occur at high volume but at @84dB. Above and below 84dB the low bass and high end actually appear psycho-acoustically to recede in comparison to the high mid.

The better, albeit expensive, solution here is to have good full range speakers that are flat all the way down to 20hZ. Most speakers, including home stereos and monitors for mixing however start to roll off from @60 Hz between 3-6 dB per octave. Many start rolling off even as high as 100 Hz. Every 6dB drop is equivalent to halving the volume of that frequency. The end result is that you lose most of the low end because the speakers can't reproduce it accurately.

It's possible to add a sub to a speaker system to try and reproduce the low bass. However many subs are not properly integrated with a net result that you do not re-produce the spectrum accurately and you create phase and timing issues along with stereo smearing. Moral of that is if you use a sub set it up properly or you will do more harm than good.

Pro-end mastering monitors reproduce accurately to below 40Hz without a sub. However they also cost over 10k dollars.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Mudbone   Great 80's Thrash Metal Tone   Dec 4 2010, 02:54 AM
- - Nielzsz   Sounds awesome man! thanks for sharing   Dec 4 2010, 09:38 AM
- - Daniel Realpe   great voice! the tone is really metal yeah. I...   Dec 4 2010, 05:30 PM
|- - Mudbone   QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 4 2010, 11:30 ...   Dec 4 2010, 08:46 PM
|- - Daniel Realpe   QUOTE (Mudbone @ Dec 4 2010, 09:46 PM) Yo...   Dec 6 2010, 01:50 PM
|- - Mudbone   QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 6 2010, 07:50 ...   Dec 10 2010, 02:34 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - The Uncreator   I miss this Anthrax, Scott Ian is one hell of a ri...   Dec 4 2010, 08:47 PM
- - rokchik   LOVE Anthrax!!! These bring back memor...   Dec 4 2010, 09:41 PM
- - Ben Higgins   Wow, forgotten how good 80's 'Thrax is ...   Dec 4 2010, 11:05 PM
|- - Mudbone   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 4 2010, 05:05 PM...   Dec 5 2010, 02:24 AM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Mudbone @ Dec 5 2010, 01:24 AM) Ri...   Dec 5 2010, 10:28 AM
nnn
nnn
- - Kael   I feel ashamed that ive never listened to them bef...   Dec 5 2010, 04:16 AM
- - Zsolt Galambos   It is said that Scott Ian has one of the strongest...   Dec 6 2010, 02:50 PM
- - audiopaal   YES YES YES!!! Anthrax is one of my ...   Dec 6 2010, 05:48 PM
- - The Uncreator   You guys should check out these newer bands that a...   Dec 9 2010, 12:50 AM
- - Fre   Awesome thread! @Uncreator: I think the vocals...   Dec 9 2010, 05:25 PM
- - Todd Simpson   Very cool thread Mudbone You have a great point h...   Dec 9 2010, 06:01 PM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 9 2010, 05:01 P...   Dec 9 2010, 06:28 PM
|- - MonkeyDAthos   what about these guys   Dec 9 2010, 06:56 PM
nnn
nnn
- - tonymiro   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 9 2010, 06:28 PM...   Dec 9 2010, 08:00 PM
- - Daniel Realpe   speaking of 80's, I know this is not the great...   Dec 9 2010, 11:11 PM
- - Azzaboi   "It's time for your medication, Mr. Brown...   Dec 10 2010, 01:45 AM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 10 2010, 11:54 AM) ...   Dec 10 2010, 07:41 PM
nnn
- - Ben Higgins   Hearing this last night made me think about adding...   Dec 11 2010, 10:38 AM
- - tonymiro   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 10 2010, 07:41 P...   Dec 11 2010, 01:15 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 08:03 PM