3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Improving Recording Tone Quality With Vsts
sammetal92
Feb 7 2013, 09:08 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 7 2013, 08:01 AM) *
You're welcome. If you need my tips and/or settings regarding BBE, just let me know.

I'll bug you loads, thanks laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 7 2013, 02:32 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 6 2013, 03:22 PM) *
I recommend using a BBE Sonic Maximizer plugin. It is basically a special compressor/limiter plugin, but it shapes the sound like magic. It is able to create a great sound from a mediocre input.

You can listen to the tone possibilites here, this is one of my improvisations using BBE Sonic Maximizer:

http://soundcloud.com/jonas-tamas/melodic-guitar-improvisation

Actually it's more of a distortion device that adds higher frequencies to the recording. They were pretty popular back in the 80s but it's the sort of device that you need to be very careful with. It can work on some instruments, electric guitar and bass for instance, and in some contexts but I'd be very cautious in using all the time as it's not always going to help and can easily make things worse. If you do use one then I's suggest that you only have it on individual tracks and that you keep it off the 2 bus.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 7 2013, 02:47 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 7 2013, 01:32 PM) *
Actually it's more of a distortion device that adds higher frequencies to the recording. They were pretty popular back in the 80s but it's the sort of device that you need to be very careful with. It can work on some instruments, electric guitar and bass for instance, and in some contexts but I'd be very cautious in using all the time as it's not always going to help and can easily make things worse. If you do use one then I's suggest that you only have it on individual tracks and that you keep it off the 2 bus.

Thanks for the detailed info Tony! Yes, I use BBE only on my solo tracks, and add just a little bit of modification to the track. I really like how it enlivens the lead tone.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Feb 7 2013, 02:57 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 7 2013, 01:32 PM) *

QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 7 2013, 01:47 PM) *
Thanks for the detailed info Tony! Yes, I use BBE only on my solo tracks, and add just a little bit of modification to the track. I really like how it enlivens the lead tone.

I'll keep that in mind smile.gif Gonna try BBE in just a bit! biggrin.gif

EDIT: Oh, I didn't see that before O_O its for $149 ._. Don't have that kind of money at the moment and they don't offer lite/trial/demo versions either, any free alternatives?

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Feb 7 2013, 03:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ItSME3
Feb 7 2013, 04:07 PM
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 6 2013, 04:22 PM) *
I recommend using a BBE Sonic Maximizer plugin. It is basically a special compressor/limiter plugin, but it shapes the sound like magic. It is able to create a great sound from a mediocre input.

You can listen to the tone possibilites here, this is one of my improvisations using BBE Sonic Maximizer:

http://soundcloud.com/jonas-tamas/melodic-guitar-improvisation

great great playing and tone. Whats the ampsound, cab. models etc ? !!!!

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Feb 13 2013, 12:44 PM
My tone is getting better I think, but I have to frequently change the combination of VSTs I use tongue.gif But it doesn't bother me

Check it out:

https://soundcloud.com/sam-ryan-stormrage/composition-harmonic-minor

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 13 2013, 02:42 PM
QUOTE (ItSME3 @ Feb 7 2013, 04:07 PM) *
great great playing and tone. Whats the ampsound, cab. models etc ? !!!!

Hi, thanks a lot! This solo tone was made with a Boss GT-3 effects processor, Mesa Boogie amp modeling (it is called "BG Lead" in GT-3), and I have added a bit of overdrive and compression. The signal then went straight to the line-in of the PC, where I have added the BBE plugin.

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Feb 13 2013, 12:44 PM) *
My tone is getting better I think, but I have to frequently change the combination of VSTs I use tongue.gif But it doesn't bother me

Check it out:

https://soundcloud.com/sam-ryan-stormrage/composition-harmonic-minor

Hi Sam, these tones are in fact really good now. The rhythm tone has the 'bite', and the lead tone was good as weel. Did you changed settings around 0:47, or did you just turn the lead volume up? Apart from being louder, I'm also hearing a lot more presence in the lead tone after 0:47, so I'd vote for this setting.

From the technical point of view, try to experiment with wider and more articulated vibratos, when you play longer notes. I hear that you use a vibrato, but they could be a bit wider, for maximum effect. Also it is a good way of embellishing the long notes to slide down at the end of the note. Then you can start the next note with a quick slide-up. These slides give a new character to the long notes, they not just start and cease, but they "born" and "die", which brings out your passion of playing a lot more.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Feb 13 2013, 02:52 PM
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 13 2013, 01:42 PM) *
Hi Sam, these tones are in fact really good now. The rhythm tone has the 'bite', and the lead tone was good as weel. Did you changed settings around 0:47, or did you just turn the lead volume up? Apart from being louder, I'm also hearing a lot more presence in the lead tone after 0:47, so I'd vote for this setting.

No, I actually tried to keep the volume down during that part laugh.gif its louder because there's two tracks for harmonizing; one at the regular pitch and one played an octave higher. So, those two tracks together have more volume and I couldn't seem to get them in the right level tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 13 2013, 01:42 PM) *
From the technical point of view, try to experiment with wider and more articulated vibratos, when you play longer notes. I hear that you use a vibrato, but they could be a bit wider, for maximum effect. Also it is a good way of embellishing the long notes to slide down at the end of the note. Then you can start the next note with a quick slide-up. These slides give a new character to the long notes, they not just start and cease, but they "born" and "die", which brings out your passion of playing a lot more.

Yeah many people have told me to improve my vibrato, so I'm working on that, I have some open strings in the lead parts of this one, so you don't hear a vibrato at all in some parts. And I'll keep that in mind about starting and ending notes with slides, thanks for the tip smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 13 2013, 03:07 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Feb 13 2013, 02:52 PM) *
No, I actually tried to keep the volume down during that part laugh.gif its louder because there's two tracks for harmonizing; one at the regular pitch and one played an octave higher. So, those two tracks together have more volume and I couldn't seem to get them in the right level tongue.gif

Yeah many people have told me to improve my vibrato, so I'm working on that, I have some open strings in the lead parts of this one, so you don't hear a vibrato at all in some parts. And I'll keep that in mind about starting and ending notes with slides, thanks for the tip smile.gif

You're welcome! You are on a good way, because the melody of your recording (the one which is harmonized in octaves) keeps repeating in my head now, and it is always a good sign! smile.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Feb 13 2013, 04:18 PM
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 13 2013, 02:07 PM) *
You're welcome! You are on a good way, because the melody of your recording (the one which is harmonized in octaves) keeps repeating in my head now, and it is always a good sign! smile.gif

Thank you Jonas! Achieving a catchy melody is hard for me tongue.gif Your comments are extremely motivating! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 13 2013, 10:35 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Feb 13 2013, 04:18 PM) *
Thank you Jonas! Achieving a catchy melody is hard for me tongue.gif Your comments are extremely motivating! biggrin.gif

It's my pleasure, it was truly the case! smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:54 AM