Question Regarding Reaper And Vst
heyoka05
Feb 3 2009, 06:55 PM
GMC:er
A question for someone more experienced that me ........I've just started playing with Reaper and have only experimented with Acid Studio up till now
Say I've got a 16 channel vst plugin .......how do I associated my different midi tracks to an individual track in the vst , without having to load another vst copy each time ........I seem to only be able to get the vst's #1 to sound and none of the other 15 channels ????
One other quick question........Is a Gig of RAM sufficent for running several plugins at once , or would more be preferable
I run ezdrummer and I've read it's very system heavy
Any help or advice is most appreciated

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 3 2009, 08:08 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Hi mate,

You need to set the midi send on the track with vst loaded and receive on the tracks you want to receive it. Also remember to make sure the monitor button is enabled.

As far as 1 gig or ram, you may experience a bit more latency depending on how many tracks you have open but should do the job.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 3 2009, 08:26 PM
Instructor
I would suggest if you plan on using VST's on many tracks simultaneously that you get atleast 1 GB of more RAM. But like skennington said, you could get away with only 1 Gb, but usually atleast 2 Gb's is ideal smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 4 2009, 01:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (heyoka05 @ Feb 3 2009, 06:55 PM) *
A question for someone more experienced that me ........I've just started playing with Reaper and have only experimented with Acid Studio up till now
Say I've got a 16 channel vst plugin .......how do I associated my different midi tracks to an individual track in the vst , without having to load another vst copy each time ........I seem to only be able to get the vst's #1 to sound and none of the other 15 channels ????
One other quick question........Is a Gig of RAM sufficent for running several plugins at once , or would more be preferable
I run ezdrummer and I've read it's very system heavy
Any help or advice is most appreciated

When you say 16 channel vst instrument you mean the EZD right? If so, it doesn't work that way that you want to do it. 16 channels in the EZD server as audio channels for mixing purpose, but you have only one drum. You can split that drum components on different channels so you can work on every component separately.

If you for example have 2 MIDI tracks of drums, and they play simultanesoly, and you assign the one EZD plugin to both of these tracks, EZD will play both tracks at once, there is no way to "split" the EZD drummer in two separate playings.

If you for example have MIDI tracks of drums splited like this:

MIDI track 1 kick
MIDI track 2 snare
MIDI track 3 hihat
MIDI track 4 toms
MIDI track 5 cymbals

you can assign all the tracks to one EZD plugin no problem - it will then play all the tracks together and you will have a full drumset playing.

If you open the EZD mixer, you will see that you can assign every component into different EZD audio track in Reaped. This way you can add for example reverb and compression only on snare, and only reverb for hihat or anything else that you need.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
heyoka05
Feb 4 2009, 07:36 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Feb 3 2009, 02:08 PM) *
Hi mate,

You need to set the midi send on the track with vst loaded and receive on the tracks you want to receive it. Also remember to make sure the monitor button is enabled.

As far as 1 gig or ram, you may experience a bit more latency depending on how many tracks you have open but should do the job.

Thanks for the tip .......I actually found a reference on page 354 of my recently downloaded manual lol ........seems that you have to specify outputing to 16 track in the fx options box before you select the vst ........lol quite the learning curve with Reaper .......appreciate the advice just the same
scott

QUOTE (Toni Suominen @ Feb 3 2009, 02:26 PM) *
I would suggest if you plan on using VST's on many tracks simultaneously that you get atleast 1 GB of more RAM. But like skennington said, you could get away with only 1 Gb, but usually atleast 2 Gb's is ideal smile.gif

Thanks for the input .......with a gig only running me around $25.00 .....I think your right better to much than too little
take care
scott

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 3 2009, 07:23 PM) *
When you say 16 channel vst instrument you mean the EZD right? If so, it doesn't work that way that you want to do it. 16 channels in the EZD server as audio channels for mixing purpose, but you have only one drum. You can split that drum components on different channels so you can work on every component separately.

If you for example have 2 MIDI tracks of drums, and they play simultanesoly, and you assign the one EZD plugin to both of these tracks, EZD will play both tracks at once, there is no way to "split" the EZD drummer in two separate playings.

If you for example have MIDI tracks of drums splited like this:

MIDI track 1 kick
MIDI track 2 snare
MIDI track 3 hihat
MIDI track 4 toms
MIDI track 5 cymbals

you can assign all the tracks to one EZD plugin no problem - it will then play all the tracks together and you will have a full drumset playing.

If you open the EZD mixer, you will see that you can assign every component into different EZD audio track in Reaped. This way you can add for example reverb and compression only on snare, and only reverb for hihat or anything else that you need.

Thanks for the help dude ........actually have used EZD that way in Acid ........definitely I like the ability to customize the sound like it allows .....one thing I'm totally jazzed is the ability to drag and drop the midi files into a single track ....definitely beats Acid where I had to create a separate track for each one ......made my night with just that lol ...no this is a multi output dxi synth that I was inquiring about ......wasn't even aware until reading the manual , that Reaper has an 8 output one lol ..........
Really enjoy the lessons you put out ......totally appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie out
take care
scott

+Quote Post
heyoka05
Feb 4 2009, 08:16 PM
QUOTE (heyoka05 @ Feb 4 2009, 01:36 AM) *
Thanks for the tip .......I actually found a reference on page 354 of my recently downloaded manual lol ........seems that you have to specify outputing to 16 track in the fx options box before you select the vst ........lol quite the learning curve with Reaper .......appreciate the advice just the same
scott

Thanks for the input .......with a gig only running me around $25.00 .....I think your right better to much than too little
take care
scott

Thanks for the help dude ........actually have used EZD that way in Acid ........definitely I like the ability to customize the sound like it allows .....one thing I'm totally jazzed is the ability to drag and drop the midi files into a single track ....definitely beats Acid where I had to create a separate track for each one ......made my night with just that lol ...no this is a multi output dxi synth that I was inquiring about ......wasn't even aware until reading the manual , that Reaper has an 8 output one lol ..........
Really enjoy the lessons you put out ......totally appreciate you taking the time to help a newbie out
take care
scott

Sorry........the Multi output VST in the manual doesn't come with Reaper ....just an example , my bad .........though I've gotten my own one to work pretty well .....just a couple of small things left to get my head around lol .......thxs again to all

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 4 2009, 11:15 PM
Instructor
No problem mate, glad that we could help you! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:47 PM