Practice Routine Revisited
bart m
Aug 30 2007, 06:45 AM
GMC:er
I know there are plenty of practice routine's posted on the forum...but what I wanted to do was list some videos, albeit a partial list, that pertained to certain aspects of a practice routine(i.e. warmup, scales, licks, jamming etc...) Like I said, this list is partial. Hopefully some members here will help to add to this list, keep it growing and give the newcomer a possible starting point for a solid practice routine that is centered totally around the video lessons. I honestly believe that at this time, everything I need for tremendous growth on my instrument can be found on the video lessons, atleast for a very long time. This method is by no means a "method" or groundbreaking. It is just my attempt to organize my practice routine with the hopes that it might help others as well as hoping others will fill in the myriad of holes I am sure to leave open...

after reading the other posts on routine's I want to organize with this structure in mind.

1. Warmup
2. Scales/Modes/Chords/Harmonic Stucture
3. Technique
4. Solo/Riffs/Jamming
5. Theory
**not necessarily in that order**

Due to time constraints, I probably can't tackle this every night...but I will try and give each approximately 15-30 minutes each practice session. I might consider leaving out one or two aspects of the above list if I feel certain aspects need special attention OR I know my time will be limited. But I will always warm up...at least for 5-15 minutes.

Now, on to the meat of it all

1. Warmup:

Pavel's Hand Control Lesson/ found in Exercises
David Walliman's Chromatic Scale Lesson/ found in Exercises
Pavel's Ionian Scale Speedpicking/ found in Exercises

**obviously these would work well in the Scales...part of the routine, but once learned, I think these would make good warmup tools...
**Like I said, please add to this...this is just what I came up with after looking through each lesson category.

2. Scales/Modes/Chords/Harmonic Structure

Kris's Harmony Lesson/ found in ONe on One
Kris's Arpeggio Lesson / One on One
David Walliman's Arpeggio Video/??
David's Modes and Chord Lesson/ Exercise(You could integrate your theory here by reading some of Andrew's theory material first)
David's Dorian to Lydian modulation/ Exercises
David' Learnig the Modes video/ Exercises

3. Technique

Pavel/Muris' Alternate Picking Lessons/Found in Exercises
Marcus's Vibrato Lesson/Exercises
Muris Economy Picking Lesson/ Exercises
Pavel's Legato Etude Lesson
**Most any One on One lessons by Kris**

4. Jamming/Riffs/Solos

**many lesson from In the Style Of...category
Gabriel's Pentatonic Clische video/ Riffs and Licks
Ben's Vamping In E Lesson/ Jazz, Country & Blues
Kris's Slow Bending Licks Solo/ Solo
Kai's Metal Rhythm Lesson/??
David Walliman's Metal Head Solo/ Solos
Gabriel's Malzelas Solo/ Solos

5. Theory

Get to reading Andrew's great material...and try and find certain lessons that go good with this material..I've mentioned one in particular above.

Soooooo....this list begging for help, i know. It would even be cool if someone could give suggestions based on experience/ability levels. I know I've left out a lot, but I look forward to all feedback.
bart

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bart m
Aug 31 2007, 03:01 AM
I started this routine last night...since i'm using nothing but the video lessons as resources(I'm starting over basically) I will obviously have to learn certain things in order to put them into my practice. It went like this:
1. Warmup: David Walliman's Chromatic Scale Lesson/ Exercises...I had to learn this one so I obviously spent more time than 15 minutes on warmup.
2. Scales/Modes/Chords/Harmonic Structure: Kris's Harmony Lesson/ found in One on One...had to learn this one too.
3. Technique: Pavel's Alternative Picking Lesson no. 1/ Exercises
4. Jamming/Solos/Riffs: Gabriel's Pentatonic Cliche video/ Riffs and Licks AND Ben's Jam in E vamp/ Jazz, Country and Blues...I need some more work on Ben's lesson and I will probably add Gabriel's Power Metal Rhythm Guitar.
5. Theory...reading up on modes before I tackle David's Mode video lessons

**my point here is to squeeze every bit of info. out of this place as possible via my practice routine. Yeah, i had plenty of other exercises to warmup with, or songs to jam on...but I am so tired of my played out sound i am trying to unlearn and relearn**

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
TheGreatRaja
Sep 5 2007, 03:33 PM
most helpful for me. I was just wondering what kind of practice I should organize and this post has some great timing =]

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 5 2007, 03:58 PM
Instructor
It's very important to have a practice routine and practice every day (or 5-6 days a week).
Also it's very important that you continue with that routine all the time and respect it. So, your routine will be always funny because if it isn't you'll be bored in few days or weeks and you will left it.

+Quote Post
bart m
Sep 5 2007, 10:21 PM
QUOTE (TheGreatRaja @ Sep 5 2007, 03:33 PM) *
most helpful for me. I was just wondering what kind of practice I should organize and this post has some great timing =]

i'm really glad someone found this helpful...i thought the thread had died laugh.gif for me, this routine structure has one "snag." if you, like me choose to use the video lessons exclusively for your routine, you're going to have to learn some lessons before you start the different elements...that took me about a week...one more suggestion if you desire to take your theory serious...always read a little in the theory pages every day and look for video lessons that integrate nicely with what you read...i gave a few suggestions up top. other than that, as Juan stated, have fun. and with all these great video lessons at your fingertips...how can it not be.
bart

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 6 2007, 02:23 AM
Heres a hyperlink version of the list to easily find them.

Pavel's Hand Control Lesson
David Williman's Chromatic Scale Lesson
Pavel's Ionian Scale Speedpicking

Kris's Harmonizing Lesson
Kris's Marty Friedman Style Arpeggio Lesson
David Walliman's Arpeggio Video/??
David's Modes and Chord Lesson
David's Dorian to Lydian Modulation
David' Learnig the Modes video

Pavel's Alternate Picking Lesson 1
Pavel's Alternate Picking Lesson 2
Pavel's Alternate Picking Lesson 3
Muris' Alternate Picking Lesson
Marcus's Vibrato Lesson Pt2 (Easy Access to 1 and 3)
Muris Economy Picking Lesson
Pavel's Legato Etude Lesson
Gabriel's Pentatonic Clische video
Ben's E9 Vamp Soloing Lesson
Kris's Slow Bending Licks Solo
Kai's Metal Rhythm Lesson (Sorry, can't find it)
David Walliman's Metal Head Solo
Gabriel's Malezas solo

Andrew's Theory Lessons

Woo! That took a while, here you go.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:31 AM