Muris Mentoring - Uncleskillet, CLOSED
UncleSkillet
Feb 19 2009, 12:46 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
BACKGROUND

My name is Jeff and I am 41 years young. I am pretty much self taught and learned everything I know now by ear from either learning a cover tune, or it has rubbed off on me just by being around so many other great guitar players. There were about 6 years of my life when I was in my twenties where I really tried to practice a lot and take things more serious. I could never really afford lessons but looking back on everything it might have been cheaper than all the tape players I went through.. laugh.gif I am very excited to have you as my mentor and can’t wait to see how my playing will progress with your help. Finally lessons I can afford! Thanks GMC!.. biggrin.gif

CURRENT STATUS

I feel like I have a good since of rhythm and can hear a piece of music and come up with ideas in my head for melodies and guitar licks. The problem is I can’t always play the ideas that I’m thinking of in my head. My vibrato is OK I think mostly. I just need to relax and make it smoother and consistent. Bending a note to pitch isn’t a problem either. I can AP, sweep and play legato style but not as fast as I would like.

THEORY

Well here probably lies my biggest challenge. Being self-taught I really don’t know that much. I know how to link together boxes and shapes if that makes since. For example once I find one pentatonic box that fits I know where the other 4 boxes are and how to move to them. Same thing with the minor scale shapes. If I find one shape or scale then I know where to go from there. I really want to understand the modes and how to use them for making my solo’s more interesting. There is a great opportunity for improvement in this area.

CURRENT ROUTINE

I have only been able to practice once a week. Usually on the weekend I get one day where I can devote 4hrs give or take. Once I get warmed up I’ll either work on a collab or find a backing track to have some fun with. I haven’t had access to the lessons since October of last year so I’m not working on any of the lessons currently. However now I have renewed my membership so this will no longer be an issue. I will be devoting more practice time to this program and adding a few more days. I am still working out the details with my wife. Maybe you can give her a call like you did Monte’s and explain how important this is. biggrin.gif tongue.gif

OVERALL GOAL

I want to be a more well rounded player and be able to compose or improv something like one of my favorite players which is Joe Satriani. I would also like to work towards being a GMC Instructor. This would really mean a lot. So I will also need your help with how to put together lessons, videos and syncing the audio at some point so things will be professional.

I can’t show you any videos accept the one I made to enter this competition with. I don’t have a web cam or camcorder at this point but I am working on it. If things go well I am hoping to at least purchase a good web cam in the near future. I have done quit a few collaborations so if you haven’t already listened to them I can point some of them out so you may get an idea of where I’m at with my playing. Recently (a few weeks ago) I participated in Emir’s Rock Ballad. I think he may be able to help you understand where I am at with my current playing.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Thanks Muris. I appreciate your time and will do whatever it takes to get the job done.

Jeff

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: Oct 23 2009, 04:34 PM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- UncleSkillet   Muris Mentoring - Uncleskillet   Feb 19 2009, 12:46 AM
- - UncleSkillet   Sorry, "Bump" . Just wanted you to know...   Feb 19 2009, 03:16 AM
|- - Muris Varajic   Hello Jeff and welcome to my MTP. No worries, I...   Feb 19 2009, 12:53 PM
nnn
- - UncleSkillet   This looks like a good plan to me. How about I ...   Feb 19 2009, 08:04 PM
|- - Muris Varajic   Mixolydian it is then.   Feb 19 2009, 09:04 PM
nnn
- - UncleSkillet   Hey Muris, I wanted to give you a quick update wit...   Feb 22 2009, 09:25 PM
|- - Muris Varajic   Great to hear you've been working out!...   Feb 22 2009, 10:54 PM
nnn
- - UncleSkillet   Well Muris I have some good news and some bad news...   Mar 2 2009, 02:07 AM
|- - Muris Varajic   Congrats on camera Jeff !!!!!...   Mar 2 2009, 02:47 AM
nnn
- - UncleSkillet   Quick update for you bro! Today I spent abo...   Mar 8 2009, 03:48 AM
|- - Muris Varajic   Those are awesome news Jeff, it's hard to expr...   Mar 8 2009, 03:32 PM
nnn
- - UncleSkillet   Ok, here is another take. Once again the camera n...   Mar 15 2009, 10:33 PM
- - Muris Varajic   Weird, for some reason I can not watch your latest...   Mar 16 2009, 08:06 AM
- - UncleSkillet   I took the "&fmt=18" off the link. ...   Mar 16 2009, 11:56 PM
|- - Muris Varajic   I'm finally back home so I watched the clip wi...   Mar 25 2009, 01:06 PM
nnn
- - UncleSkillet   Good to have you back home at GMC Muris and I hope...   Mar 26 2009, 12:49 AM
|- - Muris Varajic   QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 26 2009, 12:49 ...   Mar 27 2009, 09:18 AM
nnn
- - UncleSkillet   Sorry for the delay Muris. My son was on spring b...   Apr 16 2009, 02:38 AM
|- - Muris Varajic   Nice to hear you've been having a nice time Je...   Apr 18 2009, 11:24 AM
nnn
- - UncleSkillet   Well I have good news and some bad news. GOOD: I ...   Apr 20 2009, 04:11 AM
|- - Muris Varajic   Progress is great, glad to hear Jeff!! Do...   Apr 20 2009, 01:05 PM
nnn
- - UncleSkillet   Hey Muris, sorry for not posting in a while. You ...   Jul 24 2009, 02:09 AM
|- - Muris Varajic   Hey Jeff, great to hear from you in MTP, it's ...   Jul 24 2009, 01:14 PM
nnn
- - UncleSkillet   Hey thanks Muris for your quick response. I'l...   Jul 25 2009, 01:47 AM
|- - Muris Varajic   You're very welcome!! Keep me updated...   Jul 25 2009, 03:08 AM
nnn
- - UncleSkillet   Muris my friend, how are you? I have decided with...   Aug 4 2009, 03:09 AM
- - Muris Varajic   Well thank you Jeff, that's very kind. I...   Aug 4 2009, 12:12 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:14 PM