Why?
Cosmin Lupu
May 9 2014, 10:14 AM
Instructor
...do you play guitar? Is it because it brings you joy? Or perhaps you expect better well-being when you have achieved your goals?

I will tell you a little story smile.gif When I started listening to rock music or guitar oriented music, I was a fat little 13 years old kid with a very big self confidence issue. The guitar and music, have helped me grow harmoniously slowly overcome a lot of obstacles. When I realized the power that resides in all of this, I wanted to share it with other folks as well and I started trying to teach other people what I knew. By teaching them, I was teaching myself more and more and I keep doing it today as well smile.gif

Now ..why do you play the guitar?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Gitarrero
May 9 2014, 12:44 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I am playing guitar because as a little boy, I saw my dad and his band perform live on stage and told my mom "I wanna do what daddy does!".
So he started teaching me, starting the next day.
Playing guitar always brought me joy, or it made me relax, or helped me to let of steam when I was angry, depressed and so on.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Huargo
May 9 2014, 02:40 PM
Tone Seeker
when i was young for girls.... total fail smile.gif
Now to to escape them... wife and daughters jejejejej the other option was football.

This post has been edited by huargo: May 9 2014, 02:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
gregc1
May 9 2014, 02:55 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (huargo @ May 9 2014, 01:40 PM) *
when i was young for girls.... total fail smile.gif
Now to to escape them... wife and daughters jejejejej the other option was football.

Hahaha that sounds about right Huargo. I started playing because I wanted to be Slash, now I just want a little piece and quiet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
May 9 2014, 04:15 PM
GMC:er
Gitarrero said it best for me as well. I play the guitar because it brings me joy, no matter my mood.

I remember when I was 12, my dad was looking into getting an acoustic to learn to play. He knew some simple things as he fiddled around when he was a teen, least thats how his story went. We use to go to all the local music stores and he would look at guitars, one day he bought one. I remember him playing super simple things and that was it. I use to pick it up and play what he did. Eventually he got me some lessons and I was showing improvement so on my 13th birthday I got my first electric guitar.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
klasaine
May 9 2014, 05:14 PM
I could talk about probably 100 'reasons' why I play the guitar. All the things mentioned above plus, most likely, all the things yet to be mentioned. Bottom line though is that I love music - and the guitar has the perfect (potential) balance of melody and harmony and comfort (literally, physical comfort) for me.
That's it.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 9 2014, 06:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ May 9 2014, 01:55 PM) *
Hahaha that sounds about right Huargo. I started playing because I wanted to be Slash, now I just want a little piece and quiet.

Slash has been my Godfather in respect to guitar playing as well biggrin.gif So, that makes two of us, mate!

Growing up with instruments in the family, like Christian and Travis, is for certain a far greater way to get imbued with music from a young age! If I remember correctly, Ken had the same situation as well?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 9 2014, 06:24 PM
Instructor
I do it because I love music and I love playing guitar. There is something magical that happens to me with music, it makes me feel good, no matter what is happening in the real world, music heals, music makes me happy, music is company, and in many cases is like the soundtrack of my life. And even cooler is the fact that you can make other people feel like that with your music. You can inspired other people, you can give strength, you can make them happy and you can be the composer of the soundtrack of their life... music is so powerful. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 10 2014, 01:06 PM
Instructor
Good one Gabi! Thanks for the inspiration smile.gif Music should indeed be the soundtrack of our lives! And most of the time we should be able to build it ourselves, as musicians smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 10 2014, 01:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
Started playing in second grade and soon stopped and didn't know why, looking back, I had broke my right arm( while taking lessons) and the doctor did not set it right , so I could not twist it to get the chords(once it healed) , so I got discouraged and quit.At 17 My parents bought a sears flying v which I was able to restring and learn left handed.The passion was always there. It was more ,I could not, not play it.

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 10 2014, 02:16 PM
Last year I went to a yoga class, just to experience it. Liked it but didn't prefer to add it to my daily routine.

Just an hour ago I saw someone in the street we took the class with, she asked why I didn't keep going as (somehow) she felt I would be good at it. I said I play guitar biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 10 2014, 03:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 10 2014, 12:18 PM) *
Started playing in second grade and soon stopped and didn't know why, looking back, I had broke my right arm( while taking lessons) and the doctor did not set it right , so I could not twist it to get the chords(once it healed) , so I got discouraged and quit.At 17 My parents bought a sears flying v which I was able to restring and learn left handed.The passion was always there. It was more ,I could not, not play it.

Kudos to you for not giving up man! Big up! Was it difficult to make the transition?

+Quote Post
Marius Pop
May 10 2014, 04:02 PM
Instructor
i start playing guitar after i realized that i like more playing guitar than playing drumms(the first instrument i learned) tongue.gif this is jus one of the reasons..i think the biggest influence was my father..because he is a musician and a guitar player too.so somehow, i was born with guitar chords all around me laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jim S.
May 10 2014, 06:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
When I was around 10 or so I bought an original gibson explorer and took a couple lessons. Shortly after I lost interest and I am not sure why. Sadly when I turned 14 I sold it for $75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I could buy baggy jeans downtown. WTF Ill never forgive myself. My senior year in high school I was thrown out of a car's rear window and was urged to stay home for a few months. I then bought a cheap red guitar at a flea market and began banging around on it. Played it for months and never even knew to tune it but I had fun while resting. The reason that I wanted to play was because I knew my dad played and I wanted to show him I could play if I ever saw him.

Since buying that cheap guitar at a flea market I have always played, it was something I was proud of even if i never admit it. I am proud that I kept with it and never gave up. Some of the people that influenced me early on quit and I never understood why.

One thing that I do recall being motivation to keep playing was taking pride in my instrument and keeping it up to date and buying and experimenting with computers/equipment. It is such a good feeling to have a simple string change and cleaning OR BUYING A TRIPLE RECTIFIER! haha. I sold that too.... What an ass move. Kids never learn the easy way.

What motivates me today are my individual goals which include playing like the guitarists I listen to but in my own way. Second are my kids, I'd like to show them that there is a good place in Music if you can call it home. I am very proud to have a hobby that takes me in my own world away from the stresses of life. Music pulls many emotions from peace to anger. Without a little anger you would have no reason for peace

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 11 2014, 02:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Marius Pop @ May 10 2014, 03:02 PM) *
i start playing guitar after i realized that i like more playing guitar than playing drumms(the first instrument i learned) tongue.gif this is jus one of the reasons..i think the biggest influence was my father..because he is a musician and a guitar player too.so somehow, i was born with guitar chords all around me laugh.gif

Your dad is a GREAT musician and I like his band a lot smile.gif It would've been weird to grow up with him and not become a musician yourself biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Jim Seekford @ May 10 2014, 05:21 PM) *
When I was around 10 or so I bought an original gibson explorer and took a couple lessons. Shortly after I lost interest and I am not sure why. Sadly when I turned 14 I sold it for $75!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I could buy baggy jeans downtown. WTF Ill never forgive myself. My senior year in high school I was thrown out of a car's rear window and was urged to stay home for a few months. I then bought a cheap red guitar at a flea market and began banging around on it. Played it for months and never even knew to tune it but I had fun while resting. The reason that I wanted to play was because I knew my dad played and I wanted to show him I could play if I ever saw him.

Since buying that cheap guitar at a flea market I have always played, it was something I was proud of even if i never admit it. I am proud that I kept with it and never gave up. Some of the people that influenced me early on quit and I never understood why.

One thing that I do recall being motivation to keep playing was taking pride in my instrument and keeping it up to date and buying and experimenting with computers/equipment. It is such a good feeling to have a simple string change and cleaning OR BUYING A TRIPLE RECTIFIER! haha. I sold that too.... What an ass move. Kids never learn the easy way.

What motivates me today are my individual goals which include playing like the guitarists I listen to but in my own way. Second are my kids, I'd like to show them that there is a good place in Music if you can call it home. I am very proud to have a hobby that takes me in my own world away from the stresses of life. Music pulls many emotions from peace to anger. Without a little anger you would have no reason for peace

Wow! Great story man! smile.gif It's interesting to see how music brings us all together in one place, even though all the roads leading to that place are SO different smile.gif

Imagine that in the 5th grade, when my music teacher in primary school caught me drawing moustaches on a picture of Bach, she was very angry and asked me how can I defile that image without no shame? Guess what I told her: 'Because I don't like music!'

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 11 2014, 02:20 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:19 PM