2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Ap Help Needed
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 25 2013, 01:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Nov 24 2013, 08:33 PM) *
Hey Hungry and Ben, thanks for checking in!

I have been working on this although I have not been able to dedicate as much time as I would like on a daily basis. I actually have gotten a little quicker and can spit out a quick run here and there but nowhere near consistent.

Ben, speaking on hand position, I have been working on exactly this. A while ago I found that angling the pick did help it "slip" over the strings and flow a little smoother so I have been using that for a while but what I've found is that I think I'm using too much elbow and not enough wrist. I notice my entire lower arm moves and begins to lock up in pretty short order. When I focus on making my wrist more loose and relaxed (like natural strumming you mentioned in your video) and minimizing arm movement I can maintain for much longer with virtually no discomfort at all, BUT I can't go as fast as my natural arm tension method yet.

Good point here smile.gif I think it's simply a new thing for your body and it needs time to get accustomed to it and gain confidence - if we may say so wink.gif

Once you have done something for A LONG period of time, it becomes natural. Now you will mix efficient with natural and I am certain that the results will be great wink.gif As Andy James said in the video that Ben posted, there has to be a slight tension - but a controlled one. And I also remember Todd, talking about being able to feel the tension coming while playing and become able to relax without actually stopping smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregc1
Nov 25 2013, 07:28 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 25 2013, 12:54 PM) *
Good point here smile.gif I think it's simply a new thing for your body and it needs time to get accustomed to it and gain confidence - if we may say so wink.gif

Once you have done something for A LONG period of time, it becomes natural. Now you will mix efficient with natural and I am certain that the results will be great wink.gif As Andy James said in the video that Ben posted, there has to be a slight tension - but a controlled one. And I also remember Todd, talking about being able to feel the tension coming while playing and become able to relax without actually stopping smile.gif

Thanks Cosmin. I think you're exactly right, if I can mix in some loose wrist to what I'm doing it will go a long way when it comes to stamina.

Now the left hand is another story wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 26 2013, 11:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Nov 25 2013, 06:28 PM) *
Thanks Cosmin. I think you're exactly right, if I can mix in some loose wrist to what I'm doing it will go a long way when it comes to stamina.

Now the left hand is another story wink.gif

Building a strong left hand, is by far a very important thing to do, which will have a lot to contribute at the hand synch - you can't have alternate picking without both hands so:

- legato
- right hand precision and stamina
- hand synch

These should be aspects which you need to keep in mind at all times - usually, if you can play a certain phrase with legato, you will be able to have more odds of success when trying AP on it, because the left hand will provide the support.

It seems tedious and at some points it really is tedious, but the results are usually there smile.gif Give it time and put in time wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:04 PM