Marshall Jmp 1987x Reissue Plexi 50w Head, Your thoughts about it
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 12 2009, 04:05 PM
Instructor
Hey guys, I'm still on a lookout for the new amp, and this is the head that is my favorite atm

After lots of trying outs, I've found this head have really superior tone over any other amp. I don't really need more than 1 channel, and 50W is just enough, this head is really loud. All the knobs work as EQ if you bridge the channels, so there isn't anything on this amp that will stand in a way of tone.

Here's the inner view:

tubes are chasis-mounted, big original pots inside, not point to point, it's PCB, so it will not be the same as old plexi's, but it's a decent alternative.

I've tried JTM45 30W head, and it is awesome as well, but 50W is brighter, has more headroom and FX loop. It's only 70-80e more expensive so it's worth getting 50W instead.

Do you possibly have some suggestions in that price range, perhaps some other manufacturer that makes similar amp, one channel with FX loop, 50W tops, perhaps some not so knows manufacturer that offers point to point or pentode/triode modes.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 12 2009, 04:07 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sted
Aug 12 2009, 07:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
I think its a great choice mate, seems strange that you've gone from three channels to one!! Its a pity you cant test out the artisan 100 from Blackstar, its the best amp Marshall never made and has fantastic features.

Attached Image

or even a cornell plex 45/50, truly a hand built amp in the spirit of the original plexi!

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 12 2009, 09:17 PM
Instructor
Thanks a lot for these man! smile.gif They look very interesting, I will try to see if I can order the via some stores from here smile.gif

Yeah well, 3 channels were good option, but I think this one has one channel that is so good, and it handles pedals extremely well. I tried it with my OCD pedal and it is really awesome. I have a Line switcher from Boss that I use for boosting the OCD, so there are all the channels I need.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 12 2009, 10:26 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Looks good but without having heard either the Marshall nor a Blackstar series one 100 I'd take the Blackstar, easy.

128 MIDI banks stored
Power sponge down to >10 watt
Speaker emulated output
ISF control (does wonders to the tone)

and it has a Plexi mode too, which I was a thumbs up with the 1987x

Amost the same price on both amps.

Looks great on paper. Judging from Blackstars previous work it has to be a great amp. I guess you can't test one?

P.S seems I'm falling for these Blackstar amps one after another. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 12 2009, 10:34 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 12 2009, 10:26 PM) *
P.S seems I'm falling for these Blackstar amps one after another. biggrin.gif

Me too, they are really becoming my favorites biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
axes
Aug 13 2009, 02:10 AM
GMC:er
As I already told you, I like the 1987X very much, I think it's one of the best Marshalls ever made (not as vintage as the JTM45, and still closer to the "real" Marshall tone than the JCM800) and it sounds really amazing, not to mention it has an FX loop. I think you should go for it, it would really serve you well smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 13 2009, 11:40 AM
Instructor
Thanks a lot my friends. The Blackstar is tempting, although I don't really want any uncessesary features within that would cluther the sound. I would like to test the Artisan, that's for sure. Possibly some day when I go abroad! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:33 AM