Acoustic Guitars
Hemlok
Aug 15 2007, 09:08 PM
GMC:er
Muris,

Just curious about what acoustic guitars you have, what styles you play on them/what they are best for/price you paid for them?

Thanks

- Hemlok

P.S Anyone else feel free to share if you have a really nice acoustic. I would like to hear of some different ones I can test when I get a chance.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
shredmandan
Aug 15 2007, 09:21 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Aug 15 2007, 04:08 PM) *
Muris,

Just curious about what acoustic guitars you have, what styles you play on them/what they are best for/price you paid for them?

Thanks

- Hemlok

P.S Anyone else feel free to share if you have a really nice acoustic. I would like to hear of some different ones I can test when I get a chance.

Although Martin is very nice,also consider Taylor, Ovation, ect.They make nice acoustic's and ofcourse Gibson

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 15 2007, 09:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Aug 15 2007, 10:08 PM) *
Muris,

Thanks

- Hemlok

Thanks for asking Hemlok. smile.gif

I have Epiphone Chat Atkins nylon model,which I used for some lessons here at GMC.
I gave about 800 euros for it,with case of course.
Another one I have is Tacamine G-116.
That's not expensive guitar at all and I got it second-handed for about 150 euros.
Also nylon stuff,which I prefer regarding to acoustic.
Still looking for fine steel,that'll fit me nice smile.gif

This post has been edited by muris: Aug 15 2007, 09:29 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 15 2007, 09:33 PM
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 16 2007, 04:29 AM) *
Thanks for asking Hemlok. smile.gif

I have Epiphone Chat Atkins nylon model,which I used for some lessons here at GMC.
I gave about 800 euros for it,with case of course.
Another one I have is Tacamine G-116.
That's not expensive guitar at all and I got it second-handed for about 150 euros.
Also nylon stuff,which I prefer regarding to acoustic.
Still looking for fine steel,that'll fit me nice smile.gif

Ah excellent Muris, i have never ever ever played a nylon string! I would like to because, i learnt the Spanish Romance lesson and im sure it would sound better on a nylon.

-----------------------

I hope Andrew can reply to this, because i just ordered a Martin D-15 on Ebay US for $650 secondhand. But i have never played one or heard one wacko.gif

Maybe Andrew can give me a little recording of his? biggrin.gif pretty please smile.gif

------------------------

QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 16 2007, 04:21 AM) *
Although Martin is very nice,also consider Taylor, Ovation, ect.They make nice acoustic's and ofcourse Gibson

I have heard of Taylor and Ovation(only recently), but I really should try one out I think.

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Aug 15 2007, 09:47 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 15 2007, 09:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Aug 15 2007, 10:33 PM) *
Ah excellent Muris, i have never ever ever played a nylon string! I would like to because, i learnt the Spanish Romance lesson and im sure it would sound better on a nylon.

-----------------------

I hope Andrew can reply to this, because i just ordered a Martin D-15 on Ebay US for $650 secondhand. But i have never played one of heard one :S

Maybe Andrew can give me a little recording of his? biggrin.gif pretty please smile.gif

Great,you got it on well price!!
Tell us how it works! smile.gif
And Andrew will give us few shots I'm sure wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 15 2007, 11:18 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Aug 15 2007, 04:33 PM) *
I hope Andrew can reply to this, because i just ordered a Martin D-15 on Ebay US for $650 secondhand. But i have never played one or heard one wacko.gif

I love my D-15 - here is a clip of a work in progress - its a rough mix, but the Martins sound good smile.gif

2 x D-15 rythm tracks panned left and right
1 x D-15 for the lead smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Standing_by_the_Sea.mp3 ( 1.3MB ) Number of downloads: 185

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 15 2007, 11:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 16 2007, 12:18 AM) *
I love my D-15 - here is a clip of a work in progress - its a rough mix, but the Martins sound good smile.gif

MMMM,sounds lovely Andrew rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 15 2007, 11:29 PM
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 15 2007, 06:25 PM) *
MMMM,sounds lovely Andrew rolleyes.gif

Thanks Muris smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 15 2007, 11:34 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 16 2007, 06:18 AM) *

Ooh this is a very nice sunny fresh sound Andrew! Very cool, can't wait to hear the finished product.

Well the D-15 sounds great, what are you using to record? or do you have a pickup?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 15 2007, 11:50 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I have a Lowden L27FC Hemlok - one of the old ones when he was making them himself. Lovely acoustic and the tone has aged beautifully. I can remember trying it out years ago and getting one of the shop staff to play it as well as me so that I could listen to it from about 15 feet away - it's an acoustic that actually sounds better if you're in the audience then to the player (sounds wonderful to the player as well mind you biggrin.gif ).

I play mainly fingerstyle on it.

I keep meaning to get a nylon string - in the village near my house here in Spain is a guy who is world famous for the flamenco guitars he makes. He's had people like Paco de Lucia buy them (buy as in spend money rather than just get it for free tongue.gif ). My only issue is I don't/can't play flamenco at all so it would be wasted on me blink.gif . But then again not being able to play never stopped me with my other guitars wink.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 16 2007, 12:05 AM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Aug 15 2007, 06:34 PM) *
Ooh this is a very nice sunny fresh sound Andrew! Very cool, can't wait to hear the finished product.

Well the D-15 sounds great, what are you using to record? or do you have a pickup?

smile.gif

I miked it up with a good quality capacitor mic - a Rode NT-1A, although I have a much better valve mic now (a K2) - really should try some guitar recordingd with that as well.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 16 2007, 12:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 16 2007, 01:05 AM) *
smile.gif

I miked it up with a good quality capacitor mic - a Rode NT-1A, although I have a much better valve mic now (a K2) - really should try some guitar recordingd with that as well.

Oh yeah,Rode is an awesome brand!!
Not much expensive as AKG or som but still works great! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 16 2007, 12:20 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 15 2007, 06:18 PM) *

That sounded really good Andrew smile.gif
The Martin has a real nice deep tone.I miss mine and hemlock sorry about posting on your topic before Muris.I tend to not read every detail and didnt realize it was a question for Muris tongue.gif

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 16 2007, 12:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 16 2007, 01:20 AM) *
The Martin has a real nice deep tone.I miss mine and hemlock sorry about posting on your topic before Muris.I tend to not read every detail and didnt realize it was a question for Muris tongue.gif

No worries,we're all into guitars,right? cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Aug 16 2007, 12:27 AM
QUOTE (muris @ Aug 15 2007, 07:22 PM) *
No worries,we're all into guitars,right? cool.gif

Thanks Muris smile.gif
Hey hemlok how did you come up with your user name?I just noticed your last name and if you re arrange the letter's it makes hemlok is that how you came up with it? huh.gif

--------------------
My Gear

My Advice

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 16 2007, 12:54 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 15 2007, 07:20 PM) *
The Martin has a real nice deep tone.

Thanks - yeah, it is a little dark/mellow, but with bright strings on it balnces really nicely for a deep sound as you said. Also records pretty well.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
JVM
Aug 16 2007, 04:15 AM
Learning Roadie
My first guitar was a baby taylor mahogany, I still have it and it still sounds great. It's a lot of fun to play, but I'd really like a full acoustic as well, though I'm not a big fan of the dreadnoughts, they're just HUGE! I think I'd like something a little thinner tongue.gif My dad had a martin, I forget what, that he traded for another dreadnought martin, but I really preferred the first one, it sounded great and was very comfortable to play.

By the way andrew, your song sounds great smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 16 2007, 06:50 AM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Aug 16 2007, 07:27 AM) *
Thanks Muris smile.gif
Hey hemlok how did you come up with your user name?I just noticed your last name and if you re arrange the letter's it makes hemlok is that how you came up with it? huh.gif

You got it Dan, Hemlok is an anagram of my surname Ekholm. smile.gif

QUOTE (JVM @ Aug 16 2007, 11:15 AM) *
I'm not a big fan of the dreadnoughts, they're just HUGE!

Bigger is better! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 16 2007, 07:54 AM
The Dark Canuck
Muris I was wondering about the nylon strings. I've never played them before and was wondering what the benefits are compared to regular strings? Also are they more durable or is there more maintenance with them?

Also just a note on different acoustic brands to check out. I have a Garrison G20. I know most people have probably never heard of this brand....I've talked about them before on the forum though. They are made here in Newfoundland with the lower end AG series made in Korea or someplace like that. If you get a chance to check one out I recommend it. I bought mine for about 800 Cdn. Great sounding and it resinates forever. And they were just recently purchased by Gibson!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 16 2007, 07:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 16 2007, 08:54 AM) *
Muris I was wondering about the nylon strings. I've never played them before and was wondering what the benefits are compared to regular strings? Also are they more durable or is there more maintenance with them?

Also just a note on different acoustic brands to check out. I have a Garrison G20. I know most people have probably never heard of this brand....I've talked about them before on the forum though. They are made here in Newfoundland with the lower end AG series made in Korea or someplace like that. If you get a chance to check one out I recommend it. I bought mine for about 800 Cdn. Great sounding and it resinates forever. And they were just recently purchased by Gibson!

Hey Rockchik,thanks for stopping by!!
With regular you mean of steel strings or?

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:28 PM