Marty Friedman Zero Traction On Youtube?
Todd Simpson
Mar 8 2023, 11:05 PM
GMC:er
I ran across Marty on youtube the other day as he was doing a gig with Megadeth in Japan which was quite cool as a sort of reunion thing. There has been a ton of videos about this show on youtube lately. I then ran across Marty's official youtube page which has a scant 27k followers. here is his main link, he didn't even customize his main profile link.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8p0ZqjT7f_zZiS-py5w-WQ

Then, noticed that many of his vids, including this one, a single he put out a few years ago, had around 500 views. Yup, Mr guitar legend himself, who has played for decades all over planet earth, can't manage more than a few hundred views for videos that obviously cost actual money, that were made as promo for actual albums that cost actual money. I hadn't ever noticed this before now somehow as I didn't know he even had a youtube channel. Evidently, most folks don't know as he barely has any subscribers, and barely has any content.

In start contrast to say, ola englund who is more of a youtuber and who now sells his own line of guitars/pedals/merch etc. who has 3/4 of a million subs. it really is that hard to get traction on youtube. Unless you are an O.G. who has been part of the algo since the early days, or have managed to find a way to dig in to the algo, being a living legend/insanely talented, guy like marty isn't enough to get eyeballs. So if your youtube numbers are low, don't beat yourself up. marty is struggling too.

Here is a cool interview he did with the Captain where he talks about his entire history. it's his story about how he never really spent any time in the wood shed, never really practices technique, never wanted to be a guitar virtuoso, doesn't like that kind of thing, etc. yet, of course, was in cacophony and megadeth, etc.

Here is that reunion gig where he plays with megedeth in Japan wearing his period flanel and guitar. His playing is still top pretty darn good imho. Dave is doing well despite being in his 60s, having survived throat cancer, severe nerve damage in his arm which wrecked his guitar playing for a while, etc.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 9 2023, 06:34 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 9 2023, 04:29 PM
I think he's too busy being a professional guitar player to worry about his YT channel.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 10 2023, 08:54 AM
Not that he is worried, but he has been putting out videos consistently when he releases new material and they just don't get any traction at all. That was sorta my point. The videos are not bad videos, at least as good as other instrumental releases from the years they were made. The music is also solid. Just very little eyeball traction. Despite it being Marty freaking Friedman. It's a bit shocking honestly, just objectively.

It made me think how hard it must be for folks who aren't Marty to try and get traction. Kids who are just trying to get their music out there, and get noticed. I've had videos hit the wall that I thought were great. Then some do well that I thought were crap. Seems a real game of chance these days. I have noticed that tiktok is a lot more active for new musicians these days and offers a LOT more eyeballs or the same amount of effort.

It's a terrible platform of course and most of the content is awful. But, it does at least let new musicians get some eyeballs on their music. Also, doing live streams is an option for anyone once you hit 1k subs which isn't that tough to do.

Youtubes algo seems to punish all but the OG creators and some rising stars. Most folks get zip.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 9 2023, 11:29 AM) *
I think he's too busy being a professional guitar player to worry about his YT channel.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 10 2023, 04:03 PM
If one is serious about their social media - they have to upload almost every day.
Look at the channels that have millions or at least 100,000+ subs or followers. There's new content constantly, and it doesn't wane.
It is a full-time job.

In the 80s and the 90s, if you wanted to be a multi-platinum rock god (or whatever), you had to plaster the town with your posters and play at least one show a week somewhere. And you had to keep that up for at least a year or so. When you weren't doing a show, you had to go to all the other gigs, hang out, meet people, and give them the flyer for your next show. It was a 7 days a week, full-time gig.

It doesn't matter how good you are. It's about getting out there and putting yourself in front of eyes and ears. The medium has changed but the technique is the same.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 10 2023, 04:47 PM

+Quote Post
Steve Gilfield
Apr 6 2023, 09:52 AM
Learning Tone Master
Totally agree with Klasaine.

I think he is too busy actually working in Japan.

BUT if I could talk to him, I would ask him why hasn't he hired someone to handle his social media.

My guess is that he doesn't need the social media hype/traction in order to get hired, he can do it without it.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 8 2023, 03:01 AM
he clearly doesn't seem to need social media, even in the age of social media wink.gif It's actually quite refreshing to see a pro level player who just doesn't care about social media. It does go to show, as Mr K says, social media is a full time job. Just like touring/gigging, it's an every day thing. You gotta be doing it every day or you just can't get traction.

QUOTE (Steve Gilfield @ Apr 6 2023, 04:52 AM) *
Totally agree with Klasaine.

I think he is too busy actually working in Japan.

BUT if I could talk to him, I would ask him why hasn't he hired someone to handle his social media.

My guess is that he doesn't need the social media hype/traction in order to get hired, he can do it without it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:40 PM