Metal Amp For My Bedroom, Krank Rev Jr, Blackstar HT5 or Engl Savage
29a
Feb 23 2009, 12:38 AM
GMC:er
For some reason I want to buy myself a new amp. Probably because playing my engl e530 + gt10 through a microcube just sucks. Now because I still live with my parents and I'm not playing in a band right now I have to play quietly sad.gif. Yes I've already told them that metal is meant to be loud, but they told me that metal is meant to be played in a stadium and not at home laugh.gif Anyway, back to the topic. So these are the options I'm considering, from cheap to fscking expensive:

- Blackstar HT5 mini stack
- Krank Rev Jr (Pro) either the halfstack, fullstack or with a 2x12
- ENGL Savage 120 + Engl 4x12 Pro Cab + Attenuator

For those too lazy to read the rest of this post here's what I'm looking for:
- Bed room tube amp with effects loop and metal tone.

Now the ENGL is definitely my favorite amp. Now first of all it would cost me like 3000€. A lot for a bedroom amp and enough to ruin me. It has also a quite high ambient noise level. So the signal to noise ratio is very high when playing at low volumes. I think I could solve that using an attenuator. The other problem is that as long as there is a reasonable amount of bass present that thing shakes the ground. Maybe this is compensated a bit be the attenuator. It's also to heavy to lift around (the cab is like 50kg and the head 20-30 kg, in total that's heavier then me laugh.gif ) Any way it would be overkill.

Ok next amp, the Krank Rev Jr. It seems to be just what I need. A metal amp for the bedroom. But I haven't seen this one in person. On clips it sounds great though. It's a lot cheaper too, I could get it for less than a third of the price of an engl savage + cab. 20 Watts should also be enough to play together with a friend, and it's surely lighter than 50 kg. I could also use my ENGL E530 preamp with it to get that classic ENGL tone.

And finally the backstar ht5. Which is even cheaper. I could get six ht5 fullstacks for the price of an engl savage halfstack. But on videos it sounds very fizzy. Also I really don't get the electronics in this thing. How is this supposed to get a proper distortion with only one preamp tube? I'm really not sure about this one.

Now, I think the Krank Jr seems to be the right thing for me. What do you guys (do we have any girls around here? unsure.gif) think? Did I miss an amp?

- Jonas

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:06 PM