How Do I Get That Sweet Slash Overdriven Tone?
bill95
May 7 2011, 09:21 PM
GMC:er
Hi,i was wondering if any1 could help me create a good slash overdriven tone.i have checked a couple at the internet but didnt really them like, i got a marshall 15watt amp.Could any1 help me with the settings i should use?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by bill95: May 7 2011, 09:21 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 7 2011, 10:41 PM
Do you want to setup to sound like Slash's tone or have Slash's tone? What guitar / effect pedals are you using?

Slash already has signature Axe, Effects, and AMP setup to sound like him, but most of the time you would just want a tone and stick with what your already got.

If you want to get closer to Slash’s amp sound, I great place to start is with a Marshall AMP. Preferably a JCM Slash, a Silver Jubilee or a JCM 800. Hopefully your amp will do fine.

EQ amp settings: Bass 7 / Mid 7 / Treble lower to 4 1/2

Boost up the lead master as high as possible without becoming deaf.

Slash loves his ’87 Les Paul Gibson with:
Mahogany body/neck, rosewood fingerboard and 3-piece maple top
Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups
Ernie Ball .011-.048 strings
Dunlop 6105 frets
Gibson Nashville Tune-o-matic bridge

Luthier the fingerboard radius and high Dunlop 6105 frets makes for easy string bending. The string height at the nut is kept very low – about 1/64″ above the first fret. Raise the tailpiece 1/4″ off the body, which lowers the string tension over the bridge and helps to minimize string breakage.

The tuning machines have been swapped out for newer vintage-style Gibsons (with a screw-in top ferrule, not the press-in type), and the bridge has been changed to a Gibson Nashville Tune-o-matic.

Slash doesn't use too many effects, but has delay (800ms) and sometimes uses Wah.

Anyone want a Slash tone for the Pod HD500, just ask.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: May 7 2011, 10:42 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 7 2011, 10:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (bill95 @ May 7 2011, 04:21 PM) *
Hi,i was wondering if any1 could help me create a good slash overdriven tone.i have checked a couple at the internet but didnt really them like, i got a marshall 15watt amp.Could any1 help me with the settings i should use?

You mean for leads or for rhythm guitar? For leads you would need a PAF neck pickup in a mahogany body, and for rhythm I think the most important thing would be to have a Marshall tube amp, I don't think a solid state practice amp will get you the tone you're looking for.

This post has been edited by Mudbone: May 7 2011, 10:42 PM

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
bill95
May 7 2011, 10:48 PM
actually i was trying to play don't cry solo and wanted a good sound, since im new with guitar i just got a 15watt marshall amp and a standard LP

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 8 2011, 02:35 AM
The Marshall amp is a good start smile.gif But the 15 is one of the smallest and in no way, shape or form can you compare it to a full Marshall Stack which is what Slash often plays through. We talked a bit about this in the Video Chat today but to sum up. In order to sound like a particular guitarist.

1.)Try to match their gear (roughly) E.g Do they use Marshall Amps? or Krank? or ENGL? Or plain power amps and a processor? Foot pedals?
DOWNSIDE: This is PRICEY! Replicating a Pro rig can cost more than a nice car.

2.)Try to match their playing style. E.g. Match how they play. A big part of the tone is the result of player not the gear.
DOWNSIDE: This takes TONS of practice and time.

3.)Be patient and develop your own "Sound". E.g. Take your Idols sound in to account and then make your own.
DOWNSIDE: None. Sounding like "you" is good thing smile.gif

In short, it's gonna be tough to sound like Slash with a 15 watt amp and not much playing experience but it's a good goal to have and gives you something to work towards in terms of your playing ability and your "rig". Keep practicing, and keep experimenting with tone.

Todd

QUOTE (bill95 @ May 7 2011, 04:48 PM) *
actually i was trying to play don't cry solo and wanted a good sound, since im new with guitar i just got a 15watt marshall amp and a standard LP

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 8 2011, 10:45 PM
Instructor
Try this:

Put some overdrive on your amp, like these settings:

Drive: 7
Bass: 4
Mids: 7
Treble: 5

Then take a guitar, and put the treble pickup on and roll off the tone knob a bit.

What do you think? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 8 2011, 10:47 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
bill95
May 9 2011, 09:27 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 8 2011, 09:45 PM) *
Try this:

Then take a guitar, and put the treble pickup on and roll off the tone knob a bit.

Sounds Perfect! Thanks Ivan.

+Quote Post
Sean_1234
May 9 2011, 11:03 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 8 2011, 11:45 PM) *
Try this:

For a more signature Slash tone (ala Knocking on Heaven's Door solos) you'd want to use the neck pickup, correct?

@Azzaboi: about raising the tailpiece... what would be the downside to that? It seems quite logical to raise it up a bit, so that the strings still touch the bridge, but with lower tension, why doesn't every guitar have it raised?

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 10 2011, 08:17 AM
Stop tailpieces adjustment should normally just be until the strings clear the back of the bridge body. Many players go beyond this point and tighten the stop-bar snug against the body to increase sustain, but it's not proven that this works most the time. It seems that every guitar has a perfect tailpiece height at which the strings and action have the best feel and tone. Raise your tailpiece up and down until you find that sweet spot. It's best to get a professional to do all this setup as a lot of things relate to each other. A good way to test is checking your harmonic sweet spots are still correctly placed. Any intonation fine tuning goes right out the window if you readjust the string height and will have to be done again.

Knocking on Heavens Door, I've got a good tone for as well.
Yes, use the neck pickup, also Slash adds a subtle delay when soloing to add dimesion. Hard to hear but makes a differences.
Add some reverb and roll the tone knob down half. Tube amp with "bright" setting and Les Paul with Humbuckers is probably is best. Play sustain notes from your own skills/practice, something Slash is famous for!

I'm a bit off timing still with playing and oops one bad note! Still fun song to play smile.gif
POD HD I'm using fakes the tube amp feeling on a solid state amp, it's a nice result I think.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: May 10 2011, 08:54 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Knocking_On_Heavens_Door.mp3 ( 295.98K ) Number of downloads: 635

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 10 2011, 10:17 AM
Instructor
Both advices are great, neck pickup can be used too. Bridge humbucker is what I like to use when the solo kicks in, I find often that neck pickup doesn't have too much cut through the mix when the tone knob is rolled off.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:29 AM