Eu Friends Let's Discuss Harley Benton
PosterBoy
Jun 30 2018, 11:19 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm not a budget guitar owner. I have custom guitars in the 5K price range and others in the 1K range, but since buying an Epiphone Dot I have opened my mind to cheaper guitars that can be modded. So I've been looking at Thomann's Harley Benton brand mainly for a jazz bass but i can see many other of their offerings get good reviews and the brand gas quite a following.

Any experiences here?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 30 2018, 09:15 PM
GMC:er
just in general, i've enjoyed buying cheaper guitars and modding them smile.gif Just be careful not to overspend too much. you can always take the pricey parts out if you need to sell it. some folks make the mistake of paying to have a cheap guitar routed for different pickups for example. this is where it gets a bit crazy imho, but to each his own. I can't tell you how many folks on the rg forum on fb ask about putting Bare Knuckle pickups in a 350DX ibby. the pickups being worth more than the guitar of course. Again, to each his own.
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jun 30 2018, 06:19 AM) *
I'm not a budget guitar owner. I have custom guitars in the 5K price range and others in the 1K range, but since buying an Epiphone Dot I have opened my mind to cheaper guitars that can be modded. So I've been looking at Thomann's Harley Benton brand mainly for a jazz bass but i can see many other of their offerings get good reviews and the brand gas quite a following.

Any experiences here?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 1 2018, 12:44 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I don't own any $5k guitars, so maybe I'm missing something there... but I have had a lot of success modding cheaper guitars. The key is to find a good one to start with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 1 2018, 07:21 AM
I don't own any 5k axes either smile.gif Never have, probably never will. But some folks want the pricey stuff so more power to em smile.gif
My main two axes are Bone Stock vintage MIJ RGs and I would not mod them for the world. They are time capsules of tonal perfection IMHO. They sound like they should sound.

I did have a less paul copy that I put Kerry King EMG pickups in smile.gif That was fun. I can see why Zakk stuffs EMGs in his les pauls. The EMG has a built in high pass filter thing happening that keeps it from being too muddy wrapped in all that wood on a less paul body. I have since gotten over my EMG phase, but it seems everyone has to go through it at some point.

I also put a very nice duncan pickup in a very cheap BC rich gunslinger. It helped the tone quite a bit but idn't do anything for the playability. Thus the problem. You can upgrade parts all day but in the end, it's still the same guitar and will play like the same guitar. I learned the hard way that it's better to just save up for a used RG5xx.
Todd

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jun 30 2018, 07:44 PM) *
I don't own any $5k guitars, so maybe I'm missing something there... but I have had a lot of success modding cheaper guitars. The key is to find a good one to start with.

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Jul 1 2018, 03:28 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 1 2018, 01:21 AM) *
You can upgrade parts all day but in the end, it's still the same guitar and will play like the same guitar. I learned the hard way that it's better to just save up for a used RG5xx.

Agreed, this is what I meant when I said you have to start with a good one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 13 2018, 08:20 PM
Learning Roadie
I decided I'll spend a bit more and get a Sire Marcus Miller V3, still a cheap bass but I think the weight will be better and there are some great videos on youtube with them

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2018, 05:03 AM
Make sure to share some pics/vid/sound on your NGD!! smile.gif
Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 13 2018, 03:20 PM) *
I decided I'll spend a bit more and get a Sire Marcus Miller V3, still a cheap bass but I think the weight will be better and there are some great videos on youtube with them

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 29 2018, 08:06 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm really tempted by this Harley Benton DC Custom I don't necessarily even want to own it, I just want to get a chance to see how the quality stacks up. I'm totally a believer in the generic-brand/overseas-made guitars being just as good as any brand you could buy. I mean it's $200 shipped to the USA, that's nuts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 29 2018, 10:38 PM
At that price, heck why not? Worse case it's a backup/travel guitar and you can use it for trying new string gauges etc. smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (yoncopin @ Aug 29 2018, 03:06 PM) *
I'm really tempted by this Harley Benton DC Custom I don't necessarily even want to own it, I just want to get a chance to see how the quality stacks up. I'm totally a believer in the generic-brand/overseas-made guitars being just as good as any brand you could buy. I mean it's $200 shipped to the USA, that's nuts.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 08:36 AM