6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Alternate Picking Workout
Monica Gheorghev...
May 21 2023, 04:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ May 21 2023, 01:45 PM) *
Hello Monica,

A new recording with some extra bars wink.gif

I have practised on the issue of the open notes on the low E-string and I think it's better now. Also try to pay attention to the muted notes so they do not sound staccato.

Here's the take:

26: my E-strings rings against the fretboard
38: missed a note
49: missed a note

I'm quite happy with this take. Not too many mistakes. I don't know if I have to make the picking movements more wide?

Have a nice sunday!

Hi Gert!

Your today's take sounds quite nice. smile.gif I can see some improvements.

Yes, you need to make the picking movement more wide (exactly like you do when you play on the G string). This will help you to always keep good timing and also to play the notes more equally. This is highly important.
At this moment, because you do not use an equal distance when you pick, you tend to play some notes a little shorter than you should.

Also, you need to add more power to your picking hand. This will make you achieve the gain from the hand that we need and is missing from your take.

About the open notes on the low E string - it's better but still not ok. Your pinky finger does not give a good point of support.
Look at 0:24 - your pinky finger has got "moves like Jagger". laugh.gif
To have stability, your pinky should stay fixed on the guitar (like in the picture with Gabriel that I posted in the previous message) not on the E string how you made in the video.

I'm satisfied with your today's take. You succeeded in managing in a good way, the timing and also the contrast between muting vs open notes. If you fix all the things that I pointed out, your overall performance will be improved.

For next time, you can add a little more bars. smile.gif
Also, I have an additional request. If you can, please make a second take which will contain only the part from 0:15 - 0:27. Play this very slowly and try to put the camera in such a way as to capt only your right hand. The idea is to try using the same angle like in the picture with Gabriel but catch a little more from your right hand (from the elbow).
I want to see exactly how your right hand acts when you switch from palm muting on open notes (low E string). wink.gif

Keep up your awesome work!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gert1973
May 31 2023, 02:43 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Monica,

Finally have some time to make this additional task... because the past week I have been a little busy with 'things' biggrin.gif

I made the recording and then saw you asked to play it very slowly... that part I forgot laugh.gif

So let me know if the angle is good enough or I have to play it more slow. Then I will make a new one.

Cheers,
Gert

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gert1973: May 31 2023, 02:45 PM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
May 31 2023, 03:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ May 31 2023, 01:43 PM) *
Hi Monica,

Finally have some time to make this additional task... because the past week I have been a little busy with 'things' biggrin.gif

I made the recording and then saw you asked to play it very slowly... that part I forgot laugh.gif

So let me know if the angle is good enough or I have to play it more slow. Then I will make a new one.

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

Don't worry, I know how busy you were. biggrin.gif

BTW...your new guitar looks awesome!!! smile.gif

First of all, thank you for the fact that you did this additional task. The video is perfect. You don't need to make another one played much slower. From this angle, I can see exactly how your right hand acts when you play the open notes on the low E string.
The movement of your right hand is correct and I don't see any problem. The issue was probably corrected while practicing and that's awesome!
Just have more trust in your pinky finger and let the weight on it when you play those open notes (E string). wink.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 3 2023, 03:59 AM
GMC:er
Sweet Ibby!!!!! I love the Ibanez neck profile.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 3 2023, 03:59 AM

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 3 2023, 08:55 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 3 2023, 02:59 AM) *
Sweet Ibby!!!!! I love the Ibanez neck profile.

The Ibanez and Jackson guitars really have an awesome neck profile. smile.gif

You imagine how huge Gert felt the difference between the guitars, considering the fact that he owned a Gibson.

Gert can tell you better than me how much he loves Ibanez now. All I can say is that he wanted a guitar (a quality one), much more comfortable than Gibson (to reach the higher frets easily). During one month, he did research and learned a lot of things about guitars. The funny thing is that the story ends with him being the proud owner of two amazing Ibanez guitars (different guitars which combine everything he wanted). biggrin.gif I will let him tell you which models. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Monica Gheorghevici: Jun 3 2023, 08:56 AM

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jun 3 2023, 10:37 AM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jun 3 2023, 08:55 AM) *
The Ibanez and Jackson guitars really have an awesome neck profile. smile.gif

You imagine how huge Gert felt the difference between the guitars, considering the fact that he owned a Gibson.

Gert can tell you better than me how much he loves Ibanez now. All I can say is that he wanted a guitar (a quality one), much more comfortable than Gibson (to reach the higher frets easily). During one month, he did research and learned a lot of things about guitars. The funny thing is that the story ends with him being the proud owner of two amazing Ibanez guitars (different guitars which combine everything he wanted). biggrin.gif I will let him tell you which models. wink.gif

Hi, my name is Gertbanez and I am the proud owner of 2 great Ibanez guitars laugh.gif biggrin.gif

And yes Todd, I fell in love with the Ibanez after the first tough wink.gif

Monica is right... it's a high difference with my Gibson. Not only can I finally reach the upper frets, but everything goes smoother nog because of the neck profile. It's a serious upgrade and I'm very happy with these Ibanez pearls!

And to reveal the models wink.gif :
- Ibanez AZ2204N 22 frets (very versatile guitar soundwise)
- Ibanez J. Custom RG8570 24 frets with gotoh bridge and locking nut (the one from the video)

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jun 6 2023, 02:35 PM
Hi again Monica,

Here's an extended take of the alternate picking workout. I added a few extra bars...

Analysis:
24-27: it seems my low E-string is buzzing against the fret.
46: this note was not clear enough
1.34: this note also not clear enough
1.40: unwanted string noise. I think D-string rings here. This chord did not sound entirely right.

I'm curious what you think about the part I added...

Greetz,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 6 2023, 04:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jun 6 2023, 01:35 PM) *
Hi again Monica,

Here's an extended take of the alternate picking workout. I added a few extra bars...

Analysis:
24-27: it seems my low E-string is buzzing against the fret.
46: this note was not clear enough
1.34: this note also not clear enough
1.40: unwanted string noise. I think D-string rings here. This chord did not sound entirely right.

I'm curious what you think about the part I added...

Greetz,
Gert

Hi again Gert!

Overall, your take sounds really nice. I like the fact that you keep quite a equal distance when you pick the strings. This is a very good thing. smile.gif

Apart from the issues that you already pointed out, there are a few details that require attention.

1. When you play the notes with PM, you have moments when you press too hard with your right hand on the strings. This enhances the staccato effect and also makes some notes less recognizable.
Because each guitar is different, you also need to find the sweet spot for muting (hand position + amount of applied pressure) on your new Ibanez.

2. You play the open notes on the low E string much better. Just be careful to play all of them very equally.

3. The new part goes in a good direction, but you messed the picking direction. tongue.gif
Take a close look at 1:16; 1:22; 1:28. Every time you switch from D to G string, you use two downstrokes which is wrong. After you do the downstroke from the D string, you need to play the note on G string with upstroke. In this way, you will keep a correct picking direction.
There's a difference in sound between upstroke and downstroke. If I close my eyes, I can tell you where you stopped using the alternate picking. biggrin.gif

4. The left hand on the new part. This doesn't look good from many points of view:
- stretch your fingers more and avoid making slides when you switch from your index to your pinky finger. At 1:21 and 1:27 you make very audible slides which is not correct.

- don't make that jump between your pinky and ring finger. laugh.gif You need to review the fingering a little. Apart from the first lick (1:15 - 1:20) where you need to use your ring finger, on the rest of the licks (1:21 - 1:26 and 1:27 - 1:32) after the pinky finger, you need to use your middle finger as is in the lesson. You made this part look much harder than it is. laugh.gif
Also, take away your pinky finger from the string only at the moment when you start playing the next note.

- you need to play the notes (1:15 - 1:32) more glued. Be very careful how Darius plays this part. Don't stop the notes earlier.

I'm satisfied with your today's take. There are a few issues but things are going in a very good direction. smile.gif

For next time, try to apply the details that I pointed out. We need to fix these details before going further.

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jun 11 2023, 02:35 PM
Hi Monica,

Have been practising some time now to try to fix the issues you pointed out.

The fingering was indeed not good. Although I find it more difficult to use my middle finger instead of the ring finger. Also I'm struggling to find the right sound with this guitar. I have tried all the different pick-up positions and the neck pick-up seems to work good. Although I don't like the sound of the open low E-string.

In this take, the difference between muting and open is not bad, but I had better takes before.

Here's the take:

Analysis:
24-27: E-string does not sound ok to me
42: two note are too staccato
53: this note does is blocked a little bit
1.22: this note did not ring good

I'm satified with this take. Need more practise on the last part but I think an improvement with the last take.

Have a great hopefully not too hot sunday wink.gif

Greetz,
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 11 2023, 03:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jun 11 2023, 01:35 PM) *
Hi Monica,

Have been practising some time now to try to fix the issues you pointed out.

The fingering was indeed not good. Although I find it more difficult to use my middle finger instead of the ring finger. Also I'm struggling to find the right sound with this guitar. I have tried all the different pick-up positions and the neck pick-up seems to work good. Although I don't like the sound of the open low E-string.

In this take, the difference between muting and open is not bad, but I had better takes before.

Here's the take:

Analysis:
24-27: E-string does not sound ok to me
42: two note are too staccato
53: this note does is blocked a little bit
1.22: this note did not ring good

I'm satified with this take. Need more practise on the last part but I think an improvement with the last take.

Have a great hopefully not too hot sunday wink.gif

Greetz,
Gert

Hi Gert!

I can see that you fixed some of the issues. smile.gif

From the fingering point of view, you played the new part correctly. Don't worry, the more you practice, the more easy you will find to play using the middle finger in that spot. Also, the sound is now more fluid/more glued because you don't do anymore that jump with the ring finger. That's really great!
Just try to have a much more natural hand position when you play this part. This means not letting your pinky finger swim on the back. biggrin.gif

I'm sure at some point you will find a tone that you will like which will fit well with this guitar. It's good that you chose the neck pick-up position because Darius played this lesson on neck pick-up. It's a detail that we need to respect.

Same as you, I also don't like how open low E string sounds. Hmm...it sounds out of tune.

What I don't like in your take is the fact that in the new part you messed again the picking direction. Please, review point no 3 from my previous feedback.
Be careful when you switch from D to G string. Use a wider motion when you hit the D string with downstroke and, in this way, it will be easier to apply upstroke on the G string.

Overall, your take sounds really nice. I also like the fact that you succeeded in fixing a lot of details. Great work!

For next time, you can add a few more bars. smile.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jun 11 2023, 04:58 PM
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Jun 11 2023, 03:59 PM) *
Hi Gert!

I can see that you fixed some of the issues. smile.gif

From the fingering point of view, you played the new part correctly. Don't worry, the more you practice, the more easy you will find to play using the middle finger in that spot. Also, the sound is now more fluid/more glued because you don't do anymore that jump with the ring finger. That's really great!
Just try to have a much more natural hand position when you play this part. This means not letting your pinky finger swim on the back. biggrin.gif

I'm sure at some point you will find a tone that you will like which will fit well with this guitar. It's good that you chose the neck pick-up position because Darius played this lesson on neck pick-up. It's a detail that we need to respect.

Same as you, I also don't like how open low E string sounds. Hmm...it sounds out of tune.

What I don't like in your take is the fact that in the new part you messed again the picking direction. Please, review point no 3 from my previous feedback.
Be careful when you switch from D to G string. Use a wider motion when you hit the D string with downstroke and, in this way, it will be easier to apply upstroke on the G string.

Overall, your take sounds really nice. I also like the fact that you succeeded in fixing a lot of details. Great work!

For next time, you can add a few more bars. smile.gif

Have a great evening!

Hi Monica,

Thanks for the quick feedback... as always wink.gif

About my low E-string. It was out of tune! I had my locking nuts open for the past days bacause I was waiting until the strings were 'settled in'. So today, I locked the nut and that must have done something with the tuning. Because they were in tune befote I locked the nut. Anyway, the E-string is back in tune biggrin.gif

About point number 3... yes, I see now what I was doing wrong. 2 months ago when I learned this lesson, I just learned it wrong. I thought I had to do sweep picking at that spot. That's why I do 2 downstrokes from G to D. But I had a close look at Darius now and I see what I have been doing wrong the whole time. And when you pointed it out last time, I still did not see that I was doing it wrong on that spot. But ok, It will be fixed on the next take for sure wink.gif

Enjoy your evening.

Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 11 2023, 05:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jun 11 2023, 03:58 PM) *
Hi Monica,

Thanks for the quick feedback... as always wink.gif

About my low E-string. It was out of tune! I had my locking nuts open for the past days bacause I was waiting until the strings were 'settled in'. So today, I locked the nut and that must have done something with the tuning. Because they were in tune befote I locked the nut. Anyway, the E-string is back in tune biggrin.gif

About point number 3... yes, I see now what I was doing wrong. 2 months ago when I learned this lesson, I just learned it wrong. I thought I had to do sweep picking at that spot. That's why I do 2 downstrokes from G to D. But I had a close look at Darius now and I see what I have been doing wrong the whole time. And when you pointed it out last time, I still did not see that I was doing it wrong on that spot. But ok, It will be fixed on the next take for sure wink.gif

Enjoy your evening.

Gert

You're welcome! smile.gif

Great to hear that your E string is back in tune.

Don't worry because you didn't saw the picking direction issue. I know you always fix all the details. smile.gif
Haha....you probably felt that the next lesson would be related to sweep picking. That's why you decided to learn this technique earlier. biggrin.gif

Have a great practice time!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jun 14 2023, 02:56 PM
Hi Monica,

The past days I worked hard on the 2 last parts I added. The part with my picking issues and the extra part I added since the last take.

I isolated those parts and recorded it today.

I have tried to contain my pinky laugh.gif and I guess it's better now. It does not do backstrokes anymore. But my pinky likes to swim so... what can I do tongue.gif

Analysis:
11: note not well fretted
21: unwanted string noise
29: missed the timing here
44: missed a muted note

Still needs work but the part with the picking issue is already more fluent.

Have a great day!
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 14 2023, 04:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jun 14 2023, 01:56 PM) *
Hi Monica,

The past days I worked hard on the 2 last parts I added. The part with my picking issues and the extra part I added since the last take.

I isolated those parts and recorded it today.

I have tried to contain my pinky laugh.gif and I guess it's better now. It does not do backstrokes anymore. But my pinky likes to swim so... what can I do tongue.gif

Analysis:
11: note not well fretted
21: unwanted string noise
29: missed the timing here
44: missed a muted note

Still needs work but the part with the picking issue is already more fluent.

Have a great day!
Gert

Hi Gert!

Good decision to isolate and practice these parts separately.

About your pinky finger - looks a little better than last time but you still need to add a little more work on this area. tongue.gif Your pinky still swims. laugh.gif

I like the fact that you fixed the picking issue. Also, you are right, this part sounds more fluid. That's awesome!!! smile.gif
To improve this section even more, try not to make audible pauses between the last 2 notes from each sequence (0:14 - 0:16; 0:20 - 0:22; 0:26 - 0:28). Remove the finger from the string only when you start playing the next note.

The extra part added - it goes in the good direction. Don't minimize the movements of your picking hand. It's just a reversed picking direction. You need to keep the same wide right hand movement.

A little more practice and these parts will start to sound good. Great work for today! smile.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jun 20 2023, 03:48 PM
Hello Monica,

I have prepared a new take on this lesson for you wink.gif

As you will notice, it's the lesson from the beginning till the point where I got so far...

The first half starts to feel familiar as the second part will need more practise. So in the next days I will do some additional practise on the second part.

Analysis:
0-5: I was not entirely on the sweet spot here
1.14: Missed a note here
1.24: First play note and then vibrato
1.37: Played this not clear enough
1.43: I still need to make my picking direction more wide

I still can not tame my pinky. It is still doing backstrokes. He likes to swim... what can I say tongue.gif I have tried to figger out how to keep my pinky closer to the fretboard, but as you notice, I did not succeed. It feels very difficult to have control over my pinky.

Cheers,
Gert

+Quote Post
Manu RASSE
Jun 20 2023, 03:53 PM
Veteran Tone Master
Hi Gert

Very great great job. Keep hard work.

Playing slowly like you do is very good to improve your playing

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 20 2023, 05:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jun 20 2023, 02:48 PM) *
Hello Monica,

I have prepared a new take on this lesson for you wink.gif

As you will notice, it's the lesson from the beginning till the point where I got so far...

The first half starts to feel familiar as the second part will need more practise. So in the next days I will do some additional practise on the second part.

Analysis:
0-5: I was not entirely on the sweet spot here
1.14: Missed a note here
1.24: First play note and then vibrato
1.37: Played this not clear enough
1.43: I still need to make my picking direction more wide

I still can not tame my pinky. It is still doing backstrokes. He likes to swim... what can I say tongue.gif I have tried to figger out how to keep my pinky closer to the fretboard, but as you notice, I did not succeed. It feels very difficult to have control over my pinky.

Cheers,
Gert

Hi Gert!

That's a really good take!!! I love the fact that you respected and managed in a great way the parts with muting vs open notes. That's awesome!!! smile.gif It's exactly the contrast that I want to hear. smile.gif

The second part also started to sound way better. I can see an improvement in your left hand. You are right, there are moments when you still tend to swim with the pinky finger. laugh.gif Don't worry, it's normal and this issue will be fixed in a much longer time. But if you work on this daily, the problem will disappear faster.
I know it's hard, but when you will get used to this harder part of the lesson, the easier it will be to ban swimming for your pinky. wink.gif

For next time, besides the things that you pointed out (you did a great analysis), be careful to always be on the sweet spot when you play the muting sections.

Also, I would like you to try applying the type of vibrato that Darius used in the main video of the lesson (not in the slow videos from the lesson). It will give a different flavor to your take.
You can slow down the main video (50%) and take a look closely. First you need to play the note and then vibrate it using an oscillation a little wider (not too much because it will not fit anymore with the song).

You did a great work today!!! I'm very proud of you!!! smile.gif

Have a nice evening!

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jun 21 2023, 09:19 AM
QUOTE (Manu RASSE @ Jun 20 2023, 03:53 PM) *
Hi Gert

Very great great job. Keep hard work.

Playing slowly like you do is very good to improve your playing

Hello Manu,

Thanks for the message...

And yes, playing very slow is a key factor to improve your skills. That much I already have learned the past 8 months smile.gif

Hope you're doing well!

Gert

+Quote Post
Gert1973
Jun 23 2023, 03:10 PM
Hello Monica,

Today I had a new take of this lesson on my schedule.

I tried to apply the type of vibrato as you suggested. It feels a little more easy so I think I managed it in a good way already. Maybe not perfect but after some more practise, this will become ok.

Analysis:
35: That note was a little too soft/staccato
55: note staccato
1.10: missed a note here
1.15: this note also missed
1.27: another note that was refused biggrin.gif

I did 29 takes before I had this one. I notice my fretting hand gets a little more tense after so many takes. My pinky also swims more in take 30 then in take 1.

Hope you have a great day!
Gert

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jun 23 2023, 05:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Jun 23 2023, 02:10 PM) *
Hello Monica,

Today I had a new take of this lesson on my schedule.

I tried to apply the type of vibrato as you suggested. It feels a little more easy so I think I managed it in a good way already. Maybe not perfect but after some more practise, this will become ok.

Analysis:
35: That note was a little too soft/staccato
55: note staccato
1.10: missed a note here
1.15: this note also missed
1.27: another note that was refused biggrin.gif

I did 29 takes before I had this one. I notice my fretting hand gets a little more tense after so many takes. My pinky also swims more in take 30 then in take 1.

Hope you have a great day!
Gert

Hi Gert!

A nice new take from you. You found a sweet spot for muting and that is very good!!! smile.gif

Besides the details that you pointed out, I don't see critical issues (only the ones you are already working on).
Your right hand works great. I like the fact that you have good right hand movements (equal distance).

The left hand looks better and better. The pinky finger still swims, but as I said in my previous feedback, this issue will be fixed in a much longer time.

You said that you noticed that your fretting hand was a little more tense after you played 29 takes. Don't worry, things like this happen at this learning stage. When you start the first recording you are very relaxed. You know very well that you need to use minimal movement of your fingers when fretting. But the more you play, you start losing control of the left hand and that's why your fingers start swimming. Taking away your left fingers too far from the fretboard makes you target the fret harder and also makes you add more pressure to the strings. All these things create tension in your hand.
To fix this - everytime, when you feel the most tiny tense in your left hand, it should be a trigger for you that it's time to minimize the movements and release a little the strength (work on applying the least pressure needed to make the notes ring clear).

Vibrato - you are going in a good direction but you need to make a little more wide movements and don't play this too fast (count the number of pulsations made by Darius for each vibrato).

You did a great work today!!! For next time, you can add the final part of the lesson. smile.gif

Have a great evening!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:34 PM