In Style Of Request, (i have a reason for it being in here and not the instructor boards)
wylde guitar
Jan 31 2008, 01:38 AM
GMC:er
What's up Gmcr's

I know that lesson requests should be posted for a certain instructor in the instructor boards but I want a lesson in the style of a popular guitarist but not one many may know. I didn't want to ask an instructor whose never heard of this guitarist try to do a lesson on his techniques so I decided to put it in here and pray not to be flamed mercilessly.

The guitarist I'm curious about is Avenged Sevenfold's Synyster Gates who is fairly popular for some and won some awards, but as far as I know fairly unrecognized. He uses lots of harmonizing and a special sort of slide he makes sound like it's SNARLING. I always have wondered if it's the guitar or vibrato during the slide or something else.

Heres some videos of synyster from youtube.
In particular 1 minute -2 minute (chorus followed by solo) Beast and Harlot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWPQ-bssAys

2:17 - 3:17 (solo, please tell if you know how he does the bends at 2:26) Bat Country
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOsIlLC3s_o

Whole song, one of my favorites, Afterlife (just realized that these are some kids acting but this is Avenged Sevenfold playing they just took the song and pasted it over themselves)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk4zbPMxU7g

Just to name a few many cool things in other songs but thats plenty to make a lesson of. G2g, (please tell me if I'm not the only A7X fan here lol).

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by wylde guitar: Jan 31 2008, 10:56 PM

--------------------
As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool.

-Eddie Van Halen
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 9)
RandomVictim
Jan 31 2008, 01:56 AM
Agreed. Synyster uses the some of the coolest sounding scales in my opinion and if would be great if an instructor could show us what he does

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear

Guitars
Eric Johnson Sig Strat
Gibson SG Special
Esp Ltd EC-1000 deluxe
Larivee Acoustic
Takamine 12 String

Amps
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Line 6 Spider III HD75 head
Line 6 Spider III Cab with C30 speakers
Vox AD30
Marshall MG10

Pedals
Line 6 Pod X3
Slash Sig Wah
Dan Electro Cool Cat Chorus
Dan Electro FAB Echo
BB PREAMP!
Boss MT-2
FBV Express

+Quote Post
JukeboxHero
Jan 31 2008, 02:01 AM
Sure I've heard of Synyster Gates. He is great. I'd love a lesson in his style.

--------------------
Look left------->-------------->------------>-----------> I said left!!!!!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jan 31 2008, 03:48 PM
Sure ive heard of him, and i HATE him. from what i see, his "technique" is just useless chromatic shred.

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Jan 31 2008, 05:34 PM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
wylde guitar
Jan 31 2008, 09:28 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jan 31 2008, 09:48 AM) *
Sure ive heard of him, and i HATE him. from what i see, his "technique" is just useless chromatic shred.

Then you've probably only heard the beast and harlot solo lol. I agree with you there but if you listen to other solo's like the one in afterlife hes pulls some insanely fast sweeps.

Also, although beast and harlot solo is very chromatic scale based, it's one of the few i've ever heard that utilizes it as much without making it actually sound bad. If you listen also on the descending scale at the end, the rhythm guitar plays along perfectly with it. They both hit the notes at exact same time and i personally thought it was pretty cool laugh.gif Lastly, i'd just like to disregard anyone who tries to point out that they only did that because of dubbing in recording, but i saw them in concert and to me it was the same thing smile.gif

This is an edit, i'd also just like to say in my opinion there's no such thing as a useless technique

This post has been edited by wylde guitar: Jan 31 2008, 09:38 PM

--------------------

-Eddie Van Halen

+Quote Post
LaneGriff
Feb 1 2008, 05:15 AM
Dude is great. Makes some wicked sounds!
The song "Sidewinder" is pretty fun too, although I overheard somewhere that it was his dad that recorded the acoustic part at the end.

Anyways, I agree with wylde guitar

This post has been edited by LaneGriff: Feb 1 2008, 05:16 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 1 2008, 05:23 AM
Meh, I don't really think that he's a very good guitarist; not worth a lesson imho.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Feb 1 2008, 05:29 AM
Decent guitarist, but I hate the image the band tries to sell to people.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Feb 1 2008, 06:28 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Jan 31 2008, 10:29 PM) *

agreed

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
wylde guitar
Feb 1 2008, 10:05 PM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Jan 31 2008, 11:29 PM) *

I can agree with that too a little they aren't as dark as they look (but they're definitely not flowers and butterflies lol).
In my opinion he's a great guitarist however hes no satriani. The reason I just think it would be a decent lesson
is because it would be a great addition in the harmony department(as far as I know the first ever). Edit: I just saw Kris made an intro. to harmony as a 101 lesson but thats the only thing i saw that really had to do with harmonizing when i typed it under quick search

The band repetitively uses both guitars playing the same thing
several frets away, but it could teach where the notes should be to harmonize properly (other than doing an easy octave harmony(although there's nothing wrong with that)).

This is just an idea and only if there's a teacher that really likes him, that's why i didn't put it under the instructor boards.
I only want this idea taken up if there's a willing instructor.

This post has been edited by wylde guitar: Feb 1 2008, 10:08 PM

--------------------

-Eddie Van Halen

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:31 PM