3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Too Many Guitars?, Do you have too many guitars.
Palacios
Mar 31 2014, 02:24 PM
Learning Roadie
I have four guitars; two nylon string, a solid body electric, and a hollow body electric. I only play three of them though. Naturally being a guitarist; I wan't more. I've got my eye on the 54' Stratocaster remake; she's the girl of my dreams.
http://www.fender.com/series/american-stan...color-sunburst/
My wife of course tells me that I already have too many guitars; never mind all the purses she owns. laugh.gif So how many guitars is too many? I know we really only need one, but I hardly think I'm the worst out there. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 31 2014, 02:42 PM
Learning Roadie
You need as many as you need

I currently have Dreadnaught Acoustic, Slope D acoustic, Tele, Tyler Superstrat, Burny Les Paul.

It's obvious just looking at my list I need a nylon string, a 335, a 3 single coil strat and a guitar with at least 1 P90 pickup.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 31 2014, 02:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
I used to have 8 guitars and a bass, but I've cut down a bit and I'd say I now have guitars that compliment each other:

7 string Schecter
6 string Fender Stratocaster
6 string Wolf in drop C
Acoustic Fender Sierra Vista

And then I have a guitar that I started working on rebuilding 6 years ago when I lived at home. I might finish it in August when I go to stay with my parents for a bit.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 31 2014, 02:56 PM
Instructor
I currently own 2 PRS guitars, a 6 string and a baritone, a Yamaha acoustic and an Ibanez JEM. I need one more, as the JEM is a piece of memorabilia that I don't quite touch nowadays.

I recently received two PRSs - the Custom Hollowbody SE and the SE Santana - the Santana is by far the BEST PRS SE I have ever tried. I strongly think I'll get that one for myself as I really need a normal tuned axe - I keep the other PRS 6 string in drop C smile.gif

So I only own working man's guitars that work all the time smile.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Mar 31 2014, 03:02 PM
GMC:er
I have 4 guitars and two basses: Steel string acoustic, Nylon string acoustic, Fender Strat, Epiphone LP...and Ibanez SR300 (active) and Fender Squier Precision (passive) Basses...They all do different things and keep me inspired..I like changing between them all....My kids also have their own guitars...but they know that they can use any of mine as well. laugh.gif I'm sure my son/ daughter will need a Gibson 335 soon!!!

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 31 2014, 03:55 PM
There is no such thing as too many guitars laugh.gif If I ever won the lottery I would buy a massive house and fill it with guitars smile.gif

This post has been edited by liveOASISforever: Mar 31 2014, 03:55 PM

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 31 2014, 04:30 PM
I have 13 guitars here and 2 basses.
I also own 2 basses that are out on loan, 3 Les Pauls that a friend of mine uses and 7 or 8 Dean superstrats in storage!
This is all I have left after selling a few!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

As I say about pretty much everything in life:-
Too much is never enough!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 31 2014, 04:41 PM
I spent all my money on guitars and booze - the rest, I just wasted.

That would be a big NO.

+Quote Post
Hexabuzz
Mar 31 2014, 04:42 PM
I never think I have too many untiI start to wonder about the ones that I hardly ever play...

So much of it is an emotional attachment rather than a true need...

Of course, not that there's anything wrong with that, but sometimes I think I should let a few go, and do something more productive with the $

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Mar 31 2014, 11:57 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

I know I would not be satisfied with just one guitar. smile.gif I have 5 electrics and they all serve a different purpose. The only thing that sucks is that I have to buy a lot of strings. Also have an acoustic and bass. Would like to add a seven string to the family sometime too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 1 2014, 12:09 AM
Learning Tone Master
I only have to many guitars that are not set up the way I 'd like them to be,other than that , I have 1- 7 string,5- 6 string, 1 twelve string acoustic,1- 6 string acoustic and 1 nylon string for classical that I haven't touched in aboot 10 years

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 1 2014, 12:23 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I don't see what the issue is with having many guitars. Unless you have dozens of guitars, but not a roof over your head.

I have six and one bass. Two were given to me as a gift, one I bought for $30 because my buddy needed money for some wacky tobacky, and the Gibson SGJ I recently acquired for a little more than $100. So for those four guitars I invested very little money. So on the surface it seems like a lot was invested in all this equipment, but looks can be deceiving wink.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
wavo
Apr 1 2014, 12:34 AM
There's no such thing as too many guitars!
I have 10 guitars but they all have a purpose and distinct sound. Gretsch, Les Paul, Ibanez, Telecaster, classical.... I use them all! Hmmm...looking at my list it seems I am missing a Stratocaster. Perhaps I should get one to round up to an even 11 guitars. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 1 2014, 12:40 AM
No such thing smile.gif IMHO you can never have enough guitars or gear. You can have too much other crap though. So trim all that crap down (throw pillows/purely decorative crap from pier1) and focus on getting more guitars. smile.gif

However, I don't have a wife to deal with so I"m in a different situation. From what I've learned from my married pals, it's a VERY delicate walk. In essence, your best bet is to pick a fixed number and of guitars, say 5. And when you get a new one, sell an old one. That way the overall number doesn't swell and offend your better half and you can say, "just traded one out, no biggy" smile.gif

I've had as many as 12 guitars and I sometimes buy a new guitar each month as in the past few months and then sell them just about as quickly. I LOVE trying new guitars. smile.gif Part of what makes life worth living.

My most recent aquisition is a 28 POUND slab of mahogany, BC RICH Mockingbird ST!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Palacios @ Mar 31 2014, 09:24 AM) *
I have four guitars; two nylon string, a solid body electric, and a hollow body electric. I only play three of them though. Naturally being a guitarist; I wan't more. I've got my eye on the 54' Stratocaster remake; she's the girl of my dreams.
http://www.fender.com/series/american-stan...color-sunburst/
My wife of course tells me that I already have too many guitars; never mind all the purses she owns. laugh.gif So how many guitars is too many? I know we really only need one, but I hardly think I'm the worst out there. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Apr 1 2014, 12:44 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 1 2014, 01:15 AM
Nah ... when you buy a new guitar just let her buy a new pair of $300+ shoes. *As long as you're not taking food out of the kids' mouths. I always tell my wife that she's lucky I'm not into classic cars.

There's another great quote about guitars ... "When I die, don't let my wife sell my guitars for what she thinks I paid for them."

This post has been edited by klasaine: Apr 1 2014, 01:18 AM

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Apr 1 2014, 04:12 AM
if they're all different, even aesthetically, then its okay to own many. I have two six-string basses, a 5-string fretless, an 8-string (double coursed), a 4-string hollow body, a 6-string octave guitar, two acoustic basses, an ashbory bass, a fender strat, a shitty folk acoustic guitar, 3 mandolins, an irish bouzouki, a cittern, a laud, a charango, a dulcimer, a bowed psaltery, a balalaika, a soprano saz (not sax), and a hurdy gurdy. albeit, those were collected over a span of 25 years and many of them a getting dusty, but i still get some use out of them. i say collect to your hearts content.

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Palacios
Apr 1 2014, 02:53 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 31 2014, 05:15 PM) *
Nah ... when you buy a new guitar just let her buy a new pair of $300+ shoes. *As long as you're not taking food out of the kids' mouths. I always tell my wife that she's lucky I'm not into classic cars.

There's another great quote about guitars ... "When I die, don't let my wife sell my guitars for what she thinks I paid for them."

Real advice from people who are married. laugh.gif Thats the only way I can get new guitars; I have to let her get some expensive handbag. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 31 2014, 04:40 PM) *
No such thing smile.gif IMHO you can never have enough guitars or gear. You can have too much other crap though. So trim all that crap down (throw pillows/purely decorative crap from pier1) and focus on getting more guitars. smile.gif

However, I don't have a wife to deal with so I"m in a different situation. From what I've learned from my married pals, it's a VERY delicate walk. In essence, your best bet is to pick a fixed number and of guitars, say 5. And when you get a new one, sell an old one. That way the overall number doesn't swell and offend your better half and you can say, "just traded one out, no biggy" smile.gif

I've had as many as 12 guitars and I sometimes buy a new guitar each month as in the past few months and then sell them just about as quickly. I LOVE trying new guitars. smile.gif Part of what makes life worth living.

My most recent aquisition is a 28 POUND slab of mahogany, BC RICH Mockingbird ST!

Attached Image

That is a beautiful guitar. I love the woodwork. I'll bet it sounds awesome. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 1 2014, 10:12 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 1 2014, 12:15 AM) *

Hah! Best one today biggrin.gif

For me, it's a matter of owning guitars which I am using. I don't see the purpose of owning something that is no use to me smile.gif Yes, I am a minimalist and I love it that way biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 2 2014, 08:55 AM
Instructor
Never too much of guitars biggrin.gif Every one has it's charm and a perfect tone for something (even if those are just a 2 bars in one song per year biggrin.gif ) That's what I think.

Only sad thing is...that aside from frets condition it's not good what You don't play the guitar. Instrument take a part of humidity from us while playing. When it's hidden in case for a long time it like to dry a bit and this is no good though. Sometimes it's good to sell the guitar for her own good tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Palacios
Apr 2 2014, 03:01 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 1 2014, 02:12 PM) *
Hah! Best one today biggrin.gif

For me, it's a matter of owning guitars which I am using. I don't see the purpose of owning something that is no use to me smile.gif Yes, I am a minimalist and I love it that way biggrin.gif

That's a good way to live. I know people who have so much stuff; they get buried alive in it. I read a book years ago called "The Power of Less". The author advocates for limiting yourself to 200 items; which is very hard. I think if I ever did limit myself to 200 items; at least 10 of them would be guitars. smile.gif smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 2 2014, 12:55 AM) *
Never too much of guitars biggrin.gif Every one has it's charm and a perfect tone for something (even if those are just a 2 bars in one song per year biggrin.gif ) That's what I think.

Only sad thing is...that aside from frets condition it's not good what You don't play the guitar. Instrument take a part of humidity from us while playing. When it's hidden in case for a long time it like to dry a bit and this is no good though. Sometimes it's good to sell the guitar for her own good tongue.gif

Very true. It reminds me of a friend who was asking this guitar instructor should he take private lessons, or buy a new guitar? The instructor told him, "Buy a new guitar. You'll be more inspired to practice, and play." smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:53 PM