Slavenko Erazer - Harmonic Minor Workout
Darius Wave
Apr 14 2013, 10:58 AM
Instructor
Hi there Slavenko! Let's work on some harmonic minor licks and the way to use them in improvisation. At first show some examples of songs that are Your inspiration...so we could find the good way to work on Your improvisation skills smile.gif Write some precise titlesof songs and band names.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 15 2013, 10:18 AM
GMC:er
For example take this song as preview. I'm not sure if he uses Harmonic Minor or Phrygian Major, as they sound simmilar to me

The phrase starts at 3:25

And also, tell me which scale does this guy uses at 2.16 . I'm big fan of his playing

Thanks . and enjoy your birthday! cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 15 2013, 10:23 AM
Instructor
Ok Slavenko smile.gif Thank You for the Birthday wishes and I'll dig those two to prepare some wasy to start Your wokrkout smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 17 2013, 02:55 PM
Instructor
Ok...so as for the first video situation it's not so simple because there is s dimished scale (3:33)rather than pure phrygian dominant. I'll make You a backing track with this chords progression (it's very popular) so we could analyze this piece by piece. Now...for the beginning Your job will be to name the chords over solo and wirte them down in the bars. Then...seperate all the single notes from each chords - also write them down. As a last task - Remove repeated notes and write all unique notes names as a one list. Short example of what I mean...i different key to don't make the job for You smile.gif

Chord progression is: C F G Am
C = C + E + G
F = F + A + C
G = G + B + D
Am = A + C + E

this will help to analyze which scale to use on each chord (or one scale through all the chords)

Now...after removing repeated notes we have:
C E G F A B D

Seems like all the notes fit basic C-major scale which means that we can Use this scae across all the chords...but...It's not alwawys gonna be that way.

Now waiting for You to break down the chords of the solo section from the first link:

First chrod would be - C# minor and it contains C# E G notes....

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 17 2013, 03:10 PM
I, I sir! I will work on it!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 17 2013, 04:44 PM
Instructor
Great! LEt me know when You be ready - just post the results and we gonna work on how to attach precise scale to the chord in this key - C# minor smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 17 2013, 07:43 PM
Ok, so this is what i've came with.. i've always played music by ears o i don't really know how to make chrods out of scale.. i mean, i transcribed the notes he played there , but don;t know which chords exactly i can build from those

Ok, i must mention something
u said first chord is C #, do u mean by that is the key of backing that is played?

So if i transcribed correctly he plays C# D # E D# B a , how does this fit C# chord?

Then he plays F maj?? or notes f e d# e d# b a

a b c# b a g# g

d# d e

Thanks

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 17 2013, 09:42 PM
Instructor
No no no...smile.gif To find the chords it's better to listen to the bass guitar at first. In 80% of Rock Bass will play the root note of each chord. Try to get it like You would like to find chords of the backing so You can fit them on a acoustic guitar

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 18 2013, 06:24 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 17 2013, 10:42 PM) *
No no no...smile.gif To find the chords it's better to listen to the bass guitar at first. In 80% of Rock Bass will play the root note of each chord. Try to get it like You would like to find chords of the backing so You can fit them on a acoustic guitar

as far i've hear the bass line goes like this

c# b a

b a g#

a g# f#

am i right?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 19 2013, 07:09 PM
Instructor
I'm afraid Your wrong but You were on a good path smile.gif

4/4 C#m | F#m | B | E | A | Gdim | G#sus4 | G# |

This 8 bars repeat a few times during solo. Now please go back to the post #4 and analyze available notes smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Apr 25 2013, 12:23 PM
Okay,

C#m - C# E G#

F#m - F# A C#

B - B D# F#

E - E G# B

A - A C# E

Gdim - G - A# C# I'm not sure??

G# sus 4 , dont know what it is??

G# - G# B D#

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 25 2013, 01:10 PM
Instructor
G#sus4 is G# major in which the 4th (C#) is suspended (played instead of major 3rd note from this chord). Usually it's used just before You play regular G# major. So G#sus4 is when You replace the B# with C# note. B# is a same note as C but the the way the G# chord in written in the notes we have to use the B# name. So...

G#sus4 = G# C# D#

G#major = G# B# D#

According to Your post:

C#m - C# E G# - correct

F#m - F# A C# - correct

B - B D# F# - correct

E - E G# B - correct

A - A C# E - correct

Gdim - G - A# C# I'm not sure?? - G Bb Db (once again because of the way we write chords notes) - good places on the neck, only the names change

G# sus 4 , dont know what it is?? - explained above

G# - G# B D# - it's major chord so not B but B#

Now...write it all clean then write all notes from C# natural minor scale and compare.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 03:54 AM