Testing Ezdrummer2
Mertay
Jan 15 2019, 04:37 PM
GMC:er
Last week a friend of mine asked if I could teach him how to write drums in DAW. He did learn it, but its obviously very hard for an average guitarist to "think" drums specially if expectations are more than writing simple loops.

So I got curious myself to check ezdrummer as though its been out for a while I had no experience. There is a single function which instantly made me love it; the tap and search function.

Basically, you either use a mouse or keyboard to tap it a basic version of what you want to hear (can involve mistakes) and out of the gazillion loops it finds the closest ones and makes you a list to choose from. No wonder they call ezdrummer the plug-in for guitarists biggrin.gif

You can expand to soundsets or buy midi beat patterns, I feel ok with the included kit and the midi's can be freeware too if you want to expand the library. The loops they sell though are named like intro, verse etc. to make it faster to compose. Works fine on an older computer and not a huge download, I only checked the website on the expensive version seems to need more resources.

I'm guessing those are the drums we listen on youtuber video's who makes backing tracks to jam or advertise gear.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jan 15 2019, 04:38 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 15 2019, 05:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have honestly never used EZdrummer's or Superior Drummer's built in drum grooves. Well, maybe just to practice a lick or something, but not for an actual song. I tend to write my own grooves with the knowledge I have of drum playing, which of course has improved over the years.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 15 2019, 05:48 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 15 2019, 04:12 PM) *
I have honestly never used EZdrummer's or Superior Drummer's built in drum grooves. Well, maybe just to practice a lick or something, but not for an actual song. I tend to write my own grooves with the knowledge I have of drum playing, which of course has improved over the years.

Gaining that ability takes time and experience. Its really a different way of thought compared to guitar and even then having the best ideas to fill is something else.

The way I started getting used to it was thinking with my body, even move my arms like air-drums. Kick+snare is only thought and applied to DAW, then others are added. I approached the search function similar. Always hated dealing with loops but now they started to make sense but a lot is needed in its library for it to work as good as writing from scratch.

I didn't do any projects with it but saw the other things I'd usually need and felt safe it would work fine. The sounds are tuned/mixed (as said not in love but not bad either) but I noted 1-2 libraries they sell fo those who want to build their tone from scratch.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 15 2019, 06:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 15 2019, 05:48 PM) *
Gaining that ability takes time and experience. Its really a different way of thought compared to guitar and even then having the best ideas to fill is something else.

The way I started getting used to it was thinking with my body, even move my arms like air-drums. Kick+snare is only thought and applied to DAW, then others are added. I approached the search function similar. Always hated dealing with loops but now they started to make sense but a lot is needed in its library for it to work as good as writing from scratch.

I didn't do any projects with it but saw the other things I'd usually need and felt safe it would work fine. The sounds are tuned/mixed (as said not in love but not bad either) but I noted 1-2 libraries they sell fo those who want to build their tone from scratch.

Yeah, I have been writing drums and known drum notation since about 2006. I used to write drum grooves before that as well, but they didn't make much sense really (i.e. snare on beat 1 and 3). I learned a lot from the way the drummer I played with around 2007 played, and I took note of his playing, which was very inspired by Portnoy. It all depends on the situation of course, but rule number one really is to consider what can be hit at the same time. You only have 4 limbs, and even so some things don't make much sense hitting at the same time. I probably still make mistakes, write over complicated drums for some things etc. Probably more so in remembering 600 time signature changes in 49 minutes of music rather than actual technique though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 15 2019, 09:29 PM
Thats darn handy!!!! I've been using ez drummer for years. Might be time to upgrade smile.gif
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 15 2019, 11:37 AM) *
Last week a friend of mine asked if I could teach him how to write drums in DAW. He did learn it, but its obviously very hard for an average guitarist to "think" drums specially if expectations are more than writing simple loops.

So I got curious myself to check ezdrummer as though its been out for a while I had no experience. There is a single function which instantly made me love it; the tap and search function.

Basically, you either use a mouse or keyboard to tap it a basic version of what you want to hear (can involve mistakes) and out of the gazillion loops it finds the closest ones and makes you a list to choose from. No wonder they call ezdrummer the plug-in for guitarists biggrin.gif

You can expand to soundsets or buy midi beat patterns, I feel ok with the included kit and the midi's can be freeware too if you want to expand the library. The loops they sell though are named like intro, verse etc. to make it faster to compose. Works fine on an older computer and not a huge download, I only checked the website on the expensive version seems to need more resources.

I'm guessing those are the drums we listen on youtuber video's who makes backing tracks to jam or advertise gear.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 15 2019, 10:48 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 15 2019, 08:29 PM) *
Thats darn handy!!!! I've been using ez drummer for years. Might be time to upgrade smile.gif

https://www.toontrack.com/product/superior-drummer-3/

Their superior product (released few months ago) also has such a function and looks really good, massenburg being the engineer. But obviously more expensive and I'd guess needs more computer power/ram.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2019, 08:30 AM
Superior is a great product to be sure. It's sort of the "pro" version of EZ drummer smile.gif I've always used EZ just because it was the first one I got and I bought several libraries for it. I read that the libraries were not compatible with superior so I stuck with ez.
QUOTE (Mertay @ Jan 15 2019, 05:48 PM) *
https://www.toontrack.com/product/superior-drummer-3/

Their superior product (released few months ago) also has such a function and looks really good, massenburg being the engineer. But obviously more expensive and I'd guess needs more computer power/ram.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 16 2019, 10:27 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 16 2019, 07:30 AM) *
Superior is a great product to be sure. It's sort of the "pro" version of EZ drummer smile.gif I've always used EZ just because it was the first one I got and I bought several libraries for it. I read that the libraries were not compatible with superior so I stuck with ez.

Yeah, the libraries from ez1 as I understand works on ez2 though. On expansion page I also notice same (bob rock for example) library for both ez and superior can be bought separately which hinted me maybe when ez3 comes out they will be compatible in the future.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jan 16 2019, 10:28 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 16 2019, 12:02 PM
And this is how structure works

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 16 2019, 01:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
From my own experience ALL Ez libraries I have tried have worked in both superior 2 and 3. Never had a problem loading ez packs in Superior. In 2 they don't show with graphics if I recall correctly, just an icon or so. In 3 I have seen several of them load with specific graphics.

From on own experience the superior line has a steeper learning curve.

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Jan 16 2019, 02:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 18 2019, 04:28 AM
Cool!! That is good to know. I've got several libraries and I'd hate to lose them for upgrading!
Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 16 2019, 08:51 AM) *
From my own experience ALL Ez libraries I have tried have worked in both superior 2 and 3. Never had a problem loading ez packs in Superior. In 2 they don't show with graphics if I recall correctly, just an icon or so. In 3 I have seen several of them load with specific graphics.

From on own experience the superior line has a steeper learning curve.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 21 2019, 07:18 PM
Learning Roadie
Ezdrummer 2 can probably get you about 90% there without having to touch the keyboard roll to edit midi

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2019, 05:50 AM
It's a very impressive looking bit of kit to be sure!! So is the new Superior Drummer!
Todd
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 21 2019, 02:18 PM) *
Ezdrummer 2 can probably get you about 90% there without having to touch the keyboard roll to edit midi

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:08 AM