Youtube Algorithm
Todd Simpson
Oct 24 2022, 05:58 AM
GMC:er
I put up a few short/reels vids in a row and the youtube algo seemed to like it. Just a way to gain some traction, you can put up a few reels, one minute, just chop up an old vid. Any vid will work. Then bam. I was shocked that it was this simple.

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
osiris
Oct 25 2022, 09:15 AM
Wow! I publish a short, nothing happened. Maybe more than one is needed :-D

Every time I publish a normal video, my passive growth seems to pause...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 26 2022, 01:03 AM
It seemed like I had to post several shorts in a row to get the algo to notice. All of the sudden it was a big spike up. They are trying to compete with tiktok so they are focused on short form content for the time being. It doesn't even need to be new stuff. Can be a chopped up version of a previous video just put up as a "short", or as several shorts rather. That seems to have an impact. It's gotten very hard to get any traction at all on youtube these days. So any advantage is a good one. smile.gif

QUOTE (osiris @ Oct 25 2022, 04:15 AM) *
Wow! I publish a short, nothing happened. Maybe more than one is needed :-D

Every time I publish a normal video, my passive growth seems to pause...

+Quote Post
osiris
Oct 26 2022, 10:07 AM
I'll try it, once I'm out of being swamped at work.

You can tell though, that deciding on trying to make my channel grow in 2018 and then actually made some kind of effort in 2021 something did happen.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 29 2022, 01:55 AM
That is a HUGE spike!! Congrats there. Keep doing whatever your doing as it's clearly working!!

QUOTE (osiris @ Oct 26 2022, 05:07 AM) *
I'll try it, once I'm out of being swamped at work.

You can tell though, that deciding on trying to make my channel grow in 2018 and then actually made some kind of effort in 2021 something did happen.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
osiris
Feb 2 2023, 09:52 AM
Having finally reached 1k subs I'm now fighting to meet the other requirement for monetization: 4000 public watched hours. Unfortunately shorts don't count (you need 10 million views on shorts if you can't meet 4000 watched hours - I'm at 816 lol). The only real obstacle is that it's 4000 views in the last 365 days - so you need to beat yourself from a year ago every day to keep progressing. I'm doing ok, beginning of last year was before my real channel growth... (dark blue = this year, light blue = 365 days ago)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 5 2023, 10:47 AM
Honestly, I would not worry about monetization. Unless you have videos with insane view numbers, the money is just pennies. I was a partner for a few years before they adjusted the metrics on watched hours and my biggest check ever was $100.

Super congrats on gaining traction though! That's far more important imho.

QUOTE (osiris @ Feb 2 2023, 04:52 AM) *
Having finally reached 1k subs I'm now fighting to meet the other requirement for monetization: 4000 public watched hours. Unfortunately shorts don't count (you need 10 million views on shorts if you can't meet 4000 watched hours - I'm at 816 lol). The only real obstacle is that it's 4000 views in the last 365 days - so you need to beat yourself from a year ago every day to keep progressing. I'm doing ok, beginning of last year was before my real channel growth... (dark blue = this year, light blue = 365 days ago)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 19 2023, 01:14 AM
My current top 10 videos in terms of views, and for the past year or so, have mostly been Youtube Shorts. Currnetly 6 out of 10 are shorts and thats been the case for many, many months. it was slow to gain traction at first, but after a month or so, the shorts seemed to gain traction FAR better than any standard youtube post I would make. I even tried posting the same video to shorts and to standard youtube. The shorts version always did better. Sometimes, way better. Nowawadays, most of my top vids are shorts, even though most of them are just reposts of old vids that have been on youtube for quite some time. As shorts they are brand new. My current top video at 1400 views is a shorts version of a gmc video collab from 2013!!

Attached Image

This is the original collab. Just made it a vertical for shorts and bam.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 19 2023, 01:18 AM

+Quote Post
osiris
Feb 20 2023, 11:32 AM
Yeah, they're pushing shorts super hard. I think that's a mistake, they won't out-tiktok tiktok.

It's so interesting when you hang around some of the Youtube subreddits. People are so focused on the algorithm and gaming it. Every view is overanalyzed down to the point where they're willing to do anything to "get promoted by the algorithm", super angry because they don't get the views "they deserve", that they have been shadow banned (no such thing on yt) etc. I think that's just a super sure way to burnout...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 21 2023, 10:44 PM
I don't go that crazy that crazy over it. I noticed a while back that a short did well and started to put older vids up as shorts to see how they did and it started working smile.gif So I just kept repurposing old content as shorts. So far it's been great smile.gif Seems to be reaching new audience, gaining some new subs, etc. youtube seems to be really pushing shorts like mad.

I think you are right though, they can't beat tiktok. it's too late for that. Still, im happy to re share my vids to gain a bit of traction and some new eyeballs smile.gif I'd suggest it for everyone honestly. Putting a vid on youtube these days is rough, getting any traction is very rare. But on shorts, it's a different story.

QUOTE (osiris @ Feb 20 2023, 06:32 AM) *
Yeah, they're pushing shorts super hard. I think that's a mistake, they won't out-tiktok tiktok.

It's so interesting when you hang around some of the Youtube subreddits. People are so focused on the algorithm and gaming it. Every view is overanalyzed down to the point where they're willing to do anything to "get promoted by the algorithm", super angry because they don't get the views "they deserve", that they have been shadow banned (no such thing on yt) etc. I think that's just a super sure way to burnout...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2023, 07:22 PM
I've started using my biz facebook account in replying in various youtube groups/forums and it's resulted in a huge spike in my page views on youtube and a huge spike in my subs/views on youttube as well. My name on my biz account on facebook is my url for my youtube page. It's my domain name which is a redirect to my youtube page (techniqueswithtodd.com) so every post and every reply to a post that I've made features my URL.

I don't know why I never thought of this before? You can make a youtube biz account for free and use the same login. so you can use your URL as the account name and when people reply to you, it uses your url smile.gif free promo!

Attached Image
Attached Image
this is in a star trek group on facebook. Been using this account to reply in all of my groups. Guitar related and otherwise.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 17 2023, 10:34 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:57 AM