Adding speed to my pentatonic runs!!
mattacuk
Feb 17 2007, 07:40 PM
Lets go fishing!
Ok so i am getting alot better with runs across all 5 am pentatonic boxes, I am doing some nice diagonal runs. However, I would like to be able to blitz through them with speed!! For some reason, unlike normal scales where i can isolate them into say triplets, or sixteenth notes etc and play them to a metronome, i cannot do this so well with pentatonic scales. Does anyone have any tips for practicing these runs to a metrnome??
cool.gif

(i hope this made sense)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 19 2007, 09:03 PM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 17 2007, 06:40 PM) *
Ok so i am getting alot better with runs across all 5 am pentatonic boxes, I am doing some nice diagonal runs. However, I would like to be able to blitz through them with speed!! For some reason, unlike normal scales where i can isolate them into say triplets, or sixteenth notes etc and play them to a metronome, i cannot do this so well with pentatonic scales. Does anyone have any tips for practicing these runs to a metrnome??
cool.gif

(i hope this made sense)

Anyone??? sad.gif I just need to know if i should be practicing the whole run to the metronome or just portions?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Iscariott
Feb 20 2007, 01:28 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 19 2007, 03:03 PM) *
Anyone??? sad.gif I just need to know if i should be practicing the whole run to the metronome or just portions?

I'm afraid I cant help you with your first question, but you should practice everything to a metronome. Even if you're just messing around and not paying much attention to the click(though you should) having a metronome going will at least let your ear know where you should be.

Sorry if this wasnt too helpful. Keep at it and slow your run down until you can count it, then work on speed.

I hope someone else can be more insightful...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 20 2007, 02:43 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 17 2007, 01:40 PM) *
cool.gif

(i hope this made sense)

There isn't any magic that I am aware of - if you are working in 16ths, you still play 4 notes per beat as usual. The hard bit is that you are out of your comfort zone when changing boxes I suspect, so I would suggest that you figure out the notes in your run without a metronome first, then play them excruciatingly slowly to a metronome for a couple of sessions until it starts to come together, then speed up as usual.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 20 2007, 09:20 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Feb 20 2007, 01:43 AM) *
There isn't any magic that I am aware of - if you are working in 16ths, you still play 4 notes per beat as usual. The hard bit is that you are out of your comfort zone when changing boxes I suspect, so I would suggest that you figure out the notes in your run without a metronome first, then play them excruciatingly slowly to a metronome for a couple of sessions until it starts to come together, then speed up as usual.

Andrew, I tried this to sixteenth notes and it seems to fit. Thanks both for your taking time to reply, JACK! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 20 2007, 01:32 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 20 2007, 03:20 AM) *
Andrew, I tried this to sixteenth notes and it seems to fit. Thanks both for your taking time to reply, JACK! cool.gif

Glad I could help smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:17 AM