In Need Of Advices, about career and education
Fsgdjv
Jun 2 2009, 11:16 AM
GMC:er
Hey

The last year I've started dreaming about becoming a professional musician. Not in the rockstar kind of way, but with hard work etc, you know what I mean. Anyways, now it seems like I could be getting into an audio engineering education, as I just got a letter that I was one of the 31 persons to advance from the first test to the final interview. I think there are about 16 places on the education or something like that, so the thought of studiying that just became a lot more real to me compared to when there were 150 applicants for those 16 spots.

Anyways, that's what's making me think. I still want to become a good musician, with the ultimate goal of having it as a carrer, and in one way, going for this education for 3 years seems a lot like giving up to me. But the thing is, the education is at a music school and there's a lot of contact with music, so it's not like I'm moving from music completely. And I'm also aware of the fact that it's really hard to make a living out of music, especially since even some of our best and most awesome instructors here don't do it. But still, dedicating my life to something else for 3 years when I should be practicing guitar and music theory 100% seems like a waste of 3 years, even though I understand that it's probably the "right" or at least the safe thing to do. And I will still be able to practice music and guitar, I might even be able to start a band with some of the persons studying music there, but there's still something that makes me feel like this is giving up. Even though I can probably study music or something after those 3 years, but then I'm sure I'll have lots of depts for the loans I have to take to study etc.

Wow, this is a horrible wall of text that doesn't make a lot of sense, but it probably reflects the way I'm thinking very much. I just don't want to give up on my dream and think "what if" in 10 years. What I'm basically wondering is if you think that there's a chance to combine this education with that dream (for example, being an audio engineer makes it a lot easier to record and produce my own things etc, I know that but..), or if it's giving up.

Any replies would be great, this is a big deal for me and I don't know what to do. Worst part is that I need to be 100% sure that the audio thingy is what I want to do when I go there for the intreview, but the more I try to get in that state of mind, the more second thoughts I get. That might be me being stupid, but it might also be something I should worry about. I don't know. ANY advices or thoughts or anything would be immensely appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Fsgdjv: Jun 2 2009, 11:17 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Fsgdjv   In Need Of Advices   Jun 2 2009, 11:16 AM
- - Muris Varajic   Sound engineering is a very cool profession and ju...   Jun 2 2009, 11:31 AM
- - berko   First of all: the real decision you'll have to...   Jun 2 2009, 11:34 AM
- - Fsgdjv   Thanks for the two great replies. First of all, y...   Jun 2 2009, 11:48 AM
|- - Muris Varajic   QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Jun 2 2009, 12:48 PM) It...   Jun 2 2009, 11:55 AM
nnn
- - Emir Hot   Muris said it all as it is. I have the degree but ...   Jun 2 2009, 11:49 AM
|- - Fsgdjv   QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jun 2 2009, 12:49 PM) M...   Jun 2 2009, 11:52 AM
nnn
- - MickeM   Go for something fun, an education that will lead ...   Jun 2 2009, 11:55 AM
|- - Fsgdjv   QUOTE (MickeM @ Jun 2 2009, 12:55 PM) Go ...   Jun 2 2009, 12:02 PM
nnn
- - sted   I agree with MikeM, i am 35 and have mortgage, fam...   Jun 2 2009, 12:07 PM
- - Sensible Jones   In the span of your whole life 3 years really isn...   Jun 2 2009, 12:09 PM
- - NoSkill   Audio engineering gives you another skill set with...   Jun 2 2009, 02:14 PM
|- - Muris Varajic   QUOTE (NoSkill @ Jun 2 2009, 03:14 PM) Au...   Jun 3 2009, 05:28 PM
nnn
- - Fsgdjv   QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jun 2 2009, 01:09...   Jun 2 2009, 03:38 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   The guy who produced our first album is profession...   Jun 3 2009, 01:12 AM
- - Marek Rojewski   First of all, imagining that studying = no time fo...   Jun 3 2009, 08:31 AM
- - JamesT   Your dilemma, is not really as much of a "for...   Jun 3 2009, 08:44 PM
- - dusty   Music as an industry is a very fickle beast althou...   Jun 3 2009, 08:53 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:30 AM