2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Floyd Rose, vibrato or tremolo?
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 6 2008, 02:24 PM
GMC:er
Christ. This is unimportant. I call it the handle of love lol. All the girls love the squeal sounds you can make from the trem arm, vibrato arm, whammy bar, dive bar, handle of love etc. biggrin.gif

I always call a Strat style a trem arm and a floyd rose a whammy bar as it can go crazier than a strat arm. But you can call it what you like. You can call it Florence Nightingale if you so wish smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jun 6 2008, 02:31 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
laugh.gif my mate calls it his wiggle stick

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 6 2008, 02:35 PM
Instructor
Florence NIghtingale is a cool name for tremolo! laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jun 6 2008, 02:44 PM
Instructor
IMO - I doesn't matter how you call it, as long as you are able to use it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 6 2008, 02:44 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Jun 6 2008, 03:24 PM) *
You can call it Florence Nightingale if you so wish smile.gif

I tried that once and I was sued for inappropriate use of her name. Costed me a fortune. mad.gif

I've also been sued for calling it;
Charlie Chaplin
John F Kennedy
Neil Armstrong
Mr Guitar Tube
Pol Pot
and finally Muris

results from court are still pending on those. So be warned! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 6 2008, 02:47 PM
biggrin.gif

I best get a good lawyer.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 6 2008, 03:15 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
As long as were not calling it a vibrator i think were good! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jun 6 2008, 03:51 PM
Just read post 16 guys, and I bid you all a good day.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jun 6 2008, 04:13 PM
Frank. There is no real correct terminology in life. People will use what is common in their culture and location. What you brought up may be what is assumed by many to be correct but who says what is correct? Where did that information originate?

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Jun 6 2008, 07:08 PM
Lets go fishing!
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Rose.... Floyd Rose?.... get it ? eh eh ? laugh.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
FrankW
Jun 7 2008, 03:39 AM
As I stated in my assertion, I'm not passing judgement on anyone calling a Floyd Rose a tremolo, or a whammy bar, or a 'wang' bar, which is the terminology I use by the way; I was merely pointing out the correct terminology by definition. Some people ain't getting that. And, some people appreciate it. I was just tossing out a piece of trivia, folks.

The english language, more so than most, is rife with idioms and idiomatic expressions. That's what makes the english language so hard to master. 'Tremolo' is pretty much the generic term for the whammy bar these days, even though, by definition, the term is used incorrectly. Post #9 contains the comparitive definitions of both tremolo, and vibrato.

I simply thought that some might find that little tidbit interesting, from a trivia standpoint. But, the topic discussion began to devolve into a pissing contest by some. Let's be clear that that was not what I intended. I backed up my assertion with facts from cited sources in order to enlighten. Perhaps, I should have been more clear...

This post has been edited by FrankW: Jun 7 2008, 04:20 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:34 AM