3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Guitarists, rock metal etc
GuitarStar997
Oct 25 2008, 05:07 PM
GMC:er
you my friend, have a very good point, it seems as if whenever i seem to find a good guitar riff on the radio from some new band they wont have a good solo to back it up... i honestly believe that the talent of guitar players nowadays may excede the older ones (at least some guys) and yet no bands have any solos!!?!?!?!
its a terrible mix to be sure

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kevvyg
Oct 28 2008, 02:12 PM
Learning Roadie
Oh well (Guitarman700), we're all entitled to our opinions, of course!
I wouldn't put A7X in the same mix with Bullet For My Valentine etc though - that may be stretching it a bit. BFMV and their ilk are definitely pop bands - I've only ever seen 10 year old girls wearing their T-shirts. I consider A7X to be pretty talented myself, although they may be a little technical for some people's tastes.
I really can't see how anyone can get excited about bands such as 'Evile'. They come over as a bit of a parody of themselves. I suppose if you like listening to pounding double bass and someone with a sore throat shouting incomprehensible lyrics, then that's great, but I prefer something a bit more musical. That's probably why they supported Megadeth, and not the other way around. Either that, or they were just cheap. Anyway, Each to his own, variety is the spice of life, etc. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kevvyg: Oct 28 2008, 02:24 PM

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 3 2008, 12:43 AM
Ok, My 2 Cents smile.gif, I grew up in the late 70's and 80's. Graduated highschool in 1986. I remember the first time I heard Crazy Train, Back in Black, Screaming for Vengeance, etc. I think your getting my drift.

My first reaction was Holy S**t! This stuff is hard and new but fun also. I'd never heard anything like it before. Blew me away. What caught my ear was the very catchy but heavy guitar sound. This was the next step from Hendricks, Clapton, etc. But little did I know it would be considered classic hard rock when I would be turning 40.

I think the guitar players Angus, Randy Rhoads, Van Halen etc. had really learned their instrument first and formost. The songs and band stuff came after. It wasn't about being in a rock band first and foremost. I think as time moved on younger players were more into being in a band more than trying to make great music. Take Grunge for example. Not my favorite and you sure don't hear many bands from that era much.

Personally, I think there in a lot of great new stuff out there. I'm a huge AX7 fan. Great Guitar work. Maybe with AC/DC's new album it will influence a new generation of guitar gods. But it is ironic when my 12 year old son likes my music much more than anything being produced today. Perhaps thats because of Guitar Hero but who knows. His friends make fun of him when he fires up his Twisted Sister YouTube videos. But he doesn't care he says it's just good music.

Who am I to argue with that logic,

tommyboy

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
EmoScreamoHorror...
Nov 4 2008, 04:37 AM
Younger audiences either like it simple, are into the punk scene or like being screamed at with explosions of PM blaring through the amps. I for one like the instrumental aspect to Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, Grindcore, Exp...cause once you either block out or figure out the gibberish all you hear is the instruments. I don't need all kinds of fancy licks but most of the guitarist for those bands play hard and fast and me being the younger generation eats that stuff up...

+Quote Post
Rooks
Nov 5 2008, 10:21 AM
Well that old school rock and heavy is not dead .. It's coming back allright smile.gif Me and a friend are gonna play some band stuff..

And were mostly influenced by bands like AC/DC, Aerosmith, G'n'R, old school blues rock.. And theres a lot of people out there remembering the rock and heavy roots and taking it from there ...
Old school rock and heavy is coming back and will never die ...

--------------------

Gear: Guitar Cort EVL X4 , Squier Strat Amp Peavey Valveking 112 50w

+Quote Post
GuitarMonkey
Mar 26 2009, 04:39 AM
QUOTE (kevvyg @ Sep 19 2008, 06:11 AM) *
Hi Everyone, hope you're still practicing!
I have a question which some of you might like to offer some feedback on.
In the 80s, we had more rock and HM bands than you could throw a stick at, all talented musicians, although, obviously some were more talented than others. I'm talking AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Saxon, The Scorpions, Whitesnake, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Dio, Magnum, Queensryche, Rush, etc, etc, the list is endless. Today, although a lot of these bands are still playing, they are getting on a bit, and I get to wondering, where are the similar bands that should be coming through to take their place, given that there are still millions of people out who are busily learning to play guitar in their bedrooms, copying all the guitar heroes - Hendrix, Clapton, Angus Young, Malmsteen, Hamett, Rhoads, Iommi, Tipton, Downing, Lifeson, Schenker, etc.
Personally, I'm a bit annoyed by today's so called 'rock bands' - I can't even think of any of their names (Kaiser Chiefs?), but all they seem to do is strum a couple of boring chords all the way through their songs, play a rubbish 'solo', and people go mad for 'em.
If there are so many people out there who love HM etc, and they're busy learning to play this stuff, where are all the new Iron Maidens, Whitesnakes, and AC/DCs?
I know we have a lot of rock bands about at the moment, but they're not really in the classification of what you'd call melodic rock, or melodic heavy metal. I do like a lot of the more thrashier modern bands, but if loads of younger people are learning from the likes of AC/DC, where's the new AC/DC?
Are we destined never to have another 'Phantom of the Opera', 'Whole Lotta Rosie', or 'Blizzard of Oz'?
I hope not!!!!!

KG I am 40 years old, and I was very lucky to be in my prime in the 80's. Yes, the music was excting, and the players could actually play. The problem is, EVERYONE began to sound EXACTLY the same (for the most part). Like any other "good" thing, it was simply overexposed. Nobody misses the 80's metal music more than I do. Lets keep our fingers crossed, and hope that someone (maybe one of us biggrin.gif ), is able to bring the metal we all miss back into the mainstream. I for one am very tired of a lot of todays music. Guess I really am getting old. LOL
The other problem is we all have 100,000 different ways to find music. THere are so many more avenues now to produce and release music. It is simply mindblowing to be able to sort it all out...find the good stuff.

--------------------
[font="Tahoma"][/font][size="4"][/size][color="#008000"][/color]GuitarMonkey

+Quote Post
grathan
Mar 28 2009, 07:40 PM
It is said that the Beatles practiced more times together before they got a record deal then the average band plays in their entire lifespan these days.

I grew up listening to classic rock on the radio thinkin one day they'll be playing Iron Maiden instead of Blue Oyster Cult, that day never came.

Hip hop pushed rock right off mtv.

We have such a diverse culture that every musical genre has a following.

And the money isn't there like it used to be and yet talentless people flood the scene with their garbage just because it is fun or perhaps they are avoiding real work for a living.

the bands you listed
AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Saxon, The Scorpions, Whitesnake, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Dio, Magnum, Queensryche, Rush, etc, etc, the list is endless.
were just so talented on so many levels. And they weren't really trying to sound like anybody else.( which seems to be the goal of modern musicians )

Some bands I've enjoyed though nowhere's near as much as the 80's metal:

Drowning Pool, System of a Down, Breaking Benjamin, Soilwork, Disturbed, Three Days Grace, Sevendust, Alter Bridge, Seether, Shinedown, and Godsmack

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:24 AM