Idea To Learn New Licks, hum!
FrankW
May 15 2008, 09:32 PM
GMC:er
This is not a new idea, but I haven't seen anything on it, so... You've probably read or heard many times how a musician has an idea pop into his or her head, and they whip out a pen and paper and write the idea down, right? Well, there are those of us who are illiterate, musically, so these ideas come and go, and are forgotten. It occured to me years ago to buy a small recorder of some kind, and just 'hum' the idea into it. It has worked for me many times before! Not only can you record ideas this way, but you can 'hum' the passage, then slow yourself down to get a grasp on it. I forgot that I used to do that, I'm heading out to buy a recorder tomorrow! After I get over laughing at myself for how out of key I am, I get to work on the basic idea I've come up with. Of course, you can make notes to yourself as to what place the idea fits, what speed, etc. I hope this helps some of you who I'm sure come up with great ideas, only to not be near your instrument in order to memorize them.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Jenkinson
May 16 2008, 05:56 PM
GMC:er
Hahaha, I have been doing this for some time! You must capture those ideas immediately when you have inspiration for them. Most of the time if I wait to get home to my guitar, the mood is already gone.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:12 PM