2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I Need Amp Help!
MickeM
Jul 4 2007, 09:46 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
So, I'm on the look for a new amp and I have no idea what I need nor what I want.

1) I get something british for the coverband (exchanging the Peavey Classic 30 which I could use as a practice amp at home). Laney, Matamp or something. Was also thinking Elmwood Modena

2) I get an American hi gain, like a Mesa Boogie for the Dream Theater band, move the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade to the cover band and end up with the Peavey Classic 30 for home practice.

3) I keep the Peavey Classic 30 with the coverband and the H&K with the DT band and buy a 1/2W amp +2x12 cabinet for home practice

4) I get a Peavey 5150/6505... would be fun but it doesn't fit anywhere.

5) I get a H&K Switchblade Combo for the coverband + homepractice and sell the Peavey Classic 30. (The Switchbölade is that good I could have two, one head and one combo)

Suggestions????

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Layzer
Jul 4 2007, 10:13 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 4 2007, 03:46 PM) *
So, I'm on the look for a new amp and I have no idea what I need nor what I want.

1) I get something british for the coverband (exchanging the Peavey Classic 30 which I could use as a practice amp at home). Laney, Matamp or something. Was also thinking Elmwood Modena

2) I get an American hi gain, like a Mesa Boogie for the Dream Theater band, move the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade to the cover band and end up with the Peavey Classic 30 for home practice.

3) I keep the Peavey Classic 30 with the coverband and the H&K with the DT band and buy a 1/2W amp +2x12 cabinet for home practice

4) I get a Peavey 5150/6505... would be fun but it doesn't fit anywhere.

5) I get a H&K Switchblade Combo for the coverband + homepractice and sell the Peavey Classic 30. (The Switchbölade is that good I could have two, one head and one combo)

Suggestions????

I have been lusting over the Fender Cyber Twin SE...Ebay one for about 800-900usd

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fen...-Amp?sku=480867

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Layzer: Jul 4 2007, 10:13 PM

--------------------
Unity

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Jul 4 2007, 10:19 PM
YOU need amp help?!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 4 2007, 10:20 PM
Learning Tone Master
You should get yourself a serious MARSHALL tube amp ohmy.gif

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 4 2007, 10:22 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jul 4 2007, 05:19 PM) *
YOU need amp help?!

I thought that but was too polite to say it smile.gif

The other thing I was too polite to say was "sounds like you need the versatility of a Pod XT".

oops, did I say that out loud?

Only kidding - I fully intend to get a decent Amp for Gladriel one of these days ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 4 2007, 10:24 PM
Price Range Micke Price Range!?

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 4 2007, 11:02 PM
QUOTE (Layzer @ Jul 4 2007, 11:13 PM) *
I have been lusting over the Fender Cyber Twin SE...Ebay one for about 800-900usd

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fen...-Amp?sku=480867

It looks like lots of fun biggrin.gif but I never really found that Fender amps fit my style

QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Jul 4 2007, 11:19 PM) *
YOU need amp help?!

laugh.gif Yeah, or at least help with reason. If I could I would get both a Peavet 6506, A Mesa Boogie Mark IV, a H&K Switchblade combo, an Elmwood and a 1/2W mini amp... but I'd be kicked in the groin so hard and my wife wouldn't talk to me for a year... hmmm.. is that really a bad thing? ;-)

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 4 2007, 11:20 PM) *
You should get yourself a serious MARSHALL tube amp ohmy.gif

I'm not so sure there are any really good Marshall amps. Maybe the JVM but I'm not sure.

QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 4 2007, 11:22 PM) *
I thought that but was too polite to say it smile.gif

The other thing I was too polite to say was "sounds like you need the versatility of a Pod XT".

oops, did I say that out loud?

Only kidding - I fully intend to get a decent Amp for Gladriel one of these days ...

Gladriel? laugh.gif I don't wanna know... Actually I do :-)

That IS a good point. Versatility of the POD. Maybe I should get a POD for home use some day. But the H&K Switchblade also got that versatility, any sound I'd like to have I can key in. AND it sounds great for a tube amp with the volume at 0.5 tongue.gif

QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jul 4 2007, 11:24 PM) *
Price Range Micke Price Range!?

The Elmwood Modena is at $3500 or Euro 2500 and that's as far as I'll go.
EDIT: Which may open another opportunity, to get more than one amp. Or one amp and one Ibanes 2550 or 2570.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jul 4 2007, 11:04 PM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 4 2007, 11:14 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Maybe also look at a Cornford MkII 50 head (think its about the same price in N Europe as the Elmwood). What sort of style/s, sound/s and tone/s are you after though?

I use a 90s Matchless Lightning and get distortion etc through cranking through a THD powersoak and some pedals. One thing I don't get but also don't really need/use is ultra high gain metal sounds.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 4 2007, 11:23 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 5 2007, 12:14 AM) *
Maybe also look at a Cornford MkII 50 head (think its about the same price in N Europe as the Elmwood). What sort of style/s, sound/s and tone/s are you after though?

I use a 90s Matchless Lightning and get distortion etc through cranking through a THD powersoak and some pedals. One thing I don't get but also don't really need/use is ultra high gain metal sounds.

Cheers,
Tony

I remember browing Cornford a while ago and that MkII50 had soundclips that sounded punchy and fat.

I play in a cover band who does blues up to hard rock and in a Dream Theater cover band.
I would either go for a british amp or one with US hi gain... but I can't make up my mind. Another option was the H&K Switchblade which does both... a combo, but I already have a Switchblade head so that feels kind of wierd to get another same brand same model.

EDIT: I just checked the price on Cornford and you're right, it's the same as the Elmwood. Problem is I don't think I can find one to test here in Sweden.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jul 4 2007, 11:27 PM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jul 4 2007, 11:28 PM
Learning Tone Master
You can get yourself a Marshall Jcm 800 (used by tom morello, slash, slayer, metallica, Zakk Wylde biggrin.gif )
or the jvm 410h if you need a "new" sound. Both sound absolutely incredible!

...yes i am a marshall man...

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 4 2007, 11:35 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jul 5 2007, 12:28 AM) *
You can get yourself a Marshall Jcm 800 (used by tom morello, slash, slayer, metallica, Zakk Wylde biggrin.gif )
or the jvm 410h if you need a "new" sound. Both sound absolutely incredible!

...yes i am a marshall man...

I sold my JCM800 some months ago. It only sounded good (well great) when cranked. At low volumes it wasn't good at all but when maxed, oh my... But it was kind of inconvenient always playing at those high volumes. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jul 4 2007, 11:35 PM
Maybe ud be good to check out the new MESA i wrote a review on it. I think i was being a little harsh, it actually seems like a solid amp, and since u seem to have the money for it its apparently a great value. get a head and a cab if your gigging or a combo. you can read my review or see it at the mesa site. just goggle mesa amps.. wait nvm here it is biggrin.gif

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 4 2007, 11:36 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 5 2007, 12:23 AM) *
I remember browing Cornford a while ago and that MkII50 had soundclips that sounded punchy and fat.

I play in a cover band who does blues up to hard rock and in a Dream Theater cover band.
I would either go for a british amp or one with US hi gain... but I can't make up my mind. Another option was the H&K Switchblade which does both... a combo, but I already have a Switchblade head so that feels kind of wierd to get another same brand same model.

EDIT: I just checked the price on Cornford and you're right, it's the same as the Elmwood. Problem is I don't think I can find one to test here in Sweden.

It's a real pain about not being able to test - especially at that price- I'm in the same boat in Southern Spain. Presumably no chance that you can go to the UK (or US) for a couple of days on a cheap flight to try them (might be better then an expensive mistake unsure.gif )? The Laney VC100R (?) gets good user feedback (though some say its a bit noisy) and I think is Brit high gain for a lot less money (about 1000Euros), might be a good one for blues through to Dream Theatre. Also if you get a chance have a look at some of the recent Tonebone distortion pedals (sorry can't remember the actual model names) - some are good at Brit type overdrive/distortion.

Hope some of this helps.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 4 2007, 11:45 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jul 5 2007, 12:35 AM) *
Maybe ud be good to check out the new MESA i wrote a review on it. I think i was being a little harsh, it actually seems like a solid amp, and since u seem to have the money for it its apparently a great value. get a head and a cab if your gigging or a combo. you can read my review or see it at the mesa site. just goggle mesa amps.. wait nvm here it is biggrin.gif

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm

Ooops, I missed that review. Thanks for the heads up! Will check it out. a 5:50 combo would be great in a way, I could use the 5W at home.
Wonded if it manage hi gain stuff.

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 5 2007, 12:36 AM) *
It's a real pain about not being able to test - especially at that price- I'm in the same boat in Southern Spain. Presumably no chance that you can go to the UK (or US) for a couple of days on a cheap flight to try them (might be better then an expensive mistake unsure.gif )? The Laney VC100R (?) gets good user feedback (though some say its a bit noisy) and I think is Brit high gain for a lot less money (about 1000Euros), might be a good one for blues through to Dream Theatre. Also if you get a chance have a look at some of the recent Tonebone distortion pedals (sorry can't remember the actual model names) - some are good at Brit type overdrive/distortion.

Hope some of this helps.

Cheers,
Tony

Actually, we were going to London this summer but instead we're going to Legoland in Denmark... will be fun too of course. biggrin.gif But I'm sure I can convince the Mrs to go shopping for clothes in Londing for a weekend :-)

Yeah, the VH100R, I've had my eyes on that amp for several years now. That's the great stuff! cool.gif
EDIT: I wonder why I never got that one... Really good price too. I guess I'd put that with the cover band.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jul 4 2007, 11:48 PM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 4 2007, 11:47 PM
Sorry about this MickeM - possibly too many alternatives now ohmy.gif - if you can find one the H&K ZenTera is a really good modelling type amp (arguably THE best). It costs though, I think its in the Elmwood Modena price range. Problem may be finding one to test, can't even get to try a switchblade within 250 Km of my house mad.gif, so ZenTeras ohmy.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 4 2007, 11:56 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 5 2007, 12:47 AM) *
Sorry about this MickeM - possibly too many alternatives now ohmy.gif - if you can find one the H&K ZenTera is a really good modelling type amp (arguably THE best). It costs though, I think its in the Elmwood Modena price range. Problem may be finding one to test, can't even get to try a switchblade within 250 Km of my house mad.gif, so ZenTeras ohmy.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

I can never get too many alternatives smile.gif
I'm a bit sceptical about modeling amps, though if someone should deliver a good one it's H&K. But if it cost that much I'd rather go for a tube amp.
If you ever test the Switchblade you're hooked laugh.gif
Some guy posted some nice clips at youtube - Switchblade
You can't hear how full the sound is but his clips give a hint

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 5 2007, 12:04 AM
Off to bed - got to go, back to the UK tomorrow (early flight sad.gif ) but hopefully I'll get a chance to pop into a guitar shop and try out a switchblade biggrin.gif . Really want to try out a Caparison guitar whilst I'm there though I don't think I can convince my wife that's additional hand luggage should I have a mad moment with the credit card. I'll try to let you know if I come across anything interesting amp wise - happy hunting though.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jul 5 2007, 08:40 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 5 2007, 12:02 AM) *
... but I'd be kicked in the groin so hard and my wife wouldn't talk to me for a year... hmmm.. is that really a bad thing? ;-)

Except for the first part, not necessarily smile.gif

Sorry, this is not my area. Can't help you here :/

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Lurgen
Jul 5 2007, 09:11 AM
This post probably won't help much, but I had a really disappointing experience buying my last amp. I had my heart set on a Marshall, with about $1500 AUD (so maybe $1200 USD) to spend. I sat in the store (we have some awesome stores in my area) and played against literally a dozen different models using my actual guitar.

Not one of the Marshall amps impressed me. Every single one of them needed to be cranked up to stupid levels to yield decent results, none were usable for practice purposes (even the lower-end Valve-state models which are clearly indended for small venue/practice scenarios). I was very disappointed.

In the end I settled for a Roland Cube 60, because it was the only model I found that could be used both at high output levels and for practice. It's probably a tad smaller than you're looking for, but probably worth a quick look anyway.

Definitely avoid buying without trying first. I was so close to ordering an AVT100X over the web based on reputation and would have been gutted when it arrived.

No doubt they make good hardware, there's no way they'd have the reputation they have without something to back it up, but their gear just didn't fit my requirements.

(BTW, I tried the AVTX series, the MG series, I even had a play with a DSL50. I also messed around with a few Fenders which I felt the same way about).

--------------------
Guitars: Fender American Vintage 1957 Stratocaster, Fender American Highway One, Maton MS2000 Deluxe
Amps: Fender Hotrod Deluxe, Roland Cube 60, Fender Frontman 25R
Effects: Boss BD-2, OS-2, DD-20, TU-2

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 5 2007, 10:42 AM
QUOTE (Lurgen @ Jul 5 2007, 10:11 AM) *
This post probably won't help much, but I had a really disappointing experience buying my last amp. I had my heart set on a Marshall, with about $1500 AUD (so maybe $1200 USD) to spend. I sat in the store (we have some awesome stores in my area) and played against literally a dozen different models using my actual guitar.

Not one of the Marshall amps impressed me. Every single one of them needed to be cranked up to stupid levels to yield decent results, none were usable for practice purposes (even the lower-end Valve-state models which are clearly indended for small venue/practice scenarios). I was very disappointed.

In the end I settled for a Roland Cube 60, because it was the only model I found that could be used both at high output levels and for practice. It's probably a tad smaller than you're looking for, but probably worth a quick look anyway.

Definitely avoid buying without trying first. I was so close to ordering an AVT100X over the web based on reputation and would have been gutted when it arrived.

No doubt they make good hardware, there's no way they'd have the reputation they have without something to back it up, but their gear just didn't fit my requirements.

(BTW, I tried the AVTX series, the MG series, I even had a play with a DSL50. I also messed around with a few Fenders which I felt the same way about).

I have my doubts about Marshalls, except for the JVM then as I mentioned before. But that combo is a tad expensive and we'll see what people have to say after it's been used for a while.
Did you ever look at Laney? They do have some great amps.
Roland Cube 60 isn't my cup of tea (solid state) though I'm sure it's a good amp.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:05 PM