Excuses
Ben Higgins
Oct 21 2012, 09:43 AM
Instructor
I just stumbled upon this excellent commercial featuring Michael Jordan and I think it deserves to be in the Practice Room because it's good to remind ourselves that nothing we really want in life is easy ! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korblitz
Oct 21 2012, 12:22 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 21 2012, 08:43 AM) *
I just stumbled upon this excellent commercial featuring Michael Jordan and I think it deserves to be in the Practice Room because it's good to remind ourselves that nothing we really want in life is easy ! smile.gif

Here is a transcription of the video that Ben posted:

QUOTE ( Michael Jordan)
Maybe it is my own fault. Maybe I lead you to believe it was easy, when it wasn't. Maybe I made you think my highlight started at the free throw line and not in the gym. Maybe I made you think that every shot I took was a game winner. That my game was built on flash and not fire. Maybe it's my fault that you didn't see that failure gave my strength, that my pain was my motivation. Maybe I led you to believe that basketball was a god given gift and not something I worked for...every single day of my life. Maybe I destroyed the game or maybe you are just making excuses.

Thanks Ben for keeping me motivated through my guitar journey.

Those bends that I can't seem to reach the correct pitch, all those mistakes make me feel bittersweet for I know that I'm a failure but I'm still so close to reaching that desired note. But, when I do a couple of bends and I do a correct pitch bend, I can feel the rushing adrenaline flowing through my body...my mind saying: You are getting closer....Don't give up.

My progress is slow, and It's sinking in..."there are no shortcuts".

Todd's "simples" exercises, yet slow at the beginning, reach "crazy trains" speeds. But they are just there, to keep my foot on ground to remind how much I still need to walk(or run) to reach that speed.

Alex's..."it's simple music theory"...keeps me on check on how much music theory there is to learn. Gab's amazing de-composing of any tun e to learn the basic key elements of music songwriting. Cosmin's outside thinking makes me want to drift into other genres and rhythms.

No more excuses korblitz.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 21 2012, 03:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (korblitz @ Oct 21 2012, 12:22 PM) *

Those bends that I can't seem to reach the correct pitch, all those mistakes make me feel bittersweet for I know that I'm a failure but I'm still so close to reaching that desired note. But, when I do a couple of bends and I do a correct pitch bend, I can feel the rushing adrenaline flowing through my body...my mind saying: You are getting closer....Don't give up.

Todd's "simples" exercises, yet slow at the beginning, reach "crazy trains" speeds. But they are just there, to keep my foot on ground to remind how much I still need to walk(or run) to reach that speed.

Alex's..."it's simple music theory"...keeps me on check on how much music theory there is to learn. Gab's amazing de-composing of any tun e to learn the basic key elements of music songwriting. Cosmin's outside thinking makes me want to drift into other genres and rhythms.

Glad you like it ! Also, thanks for transcribing as I didn't know what he said when he said 'free throw line' smile.gif

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Oct 21 2012, 06:59 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Great words from the greatest basketball player of all time , a true role model and inspiration. Thanks Ben! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 21 2012, 08:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Oct 21 2012, 06:59 PM) *
Great words from the greatest basketball player of all time , a true role model and inspiration. Thanks Ben! smile.gif

No worries, just passing along the magic ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 21 2012, 09:43 PM
Instructor
Very motivational!!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 22 2012, 09:23 AM
Instructor
Good morning GMC ! So, how many of you start the day with something good, just to get you in a good mood instead of letting yourself get bombarded with the news ??

I often find myself going and searching for inspirational videos because if we're going to be subliminally influenced by something, why not make it something that benefits us ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Oct 22 2012, 09:53 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Ben how are you mate?

Great video to pass along, Cheers.

I'm always searching for inspirational quotes and video's, I think we as people need to be reminded of certain things every now and then. Take whatever you can from other people's experience's, to get you through yours.

Like Batman...

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 22 2012, 12:07 PM
Instructor
Thanks Ben! Always a good reminder wink.gif

And thanks for your kind thoughts korblitz!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 22 2012, 12:22 PM
GMC:er
Very Spiff vid thanks for sharing Ben!

KORBLITZ: You've been RAWKING the rails of the Crazy Train in our chats lately and keeping up even when we jump the tracks and head to "Crazy Town". Keep it up! I"m a big fan of "Over preparing" in that as the old saying goes "You play how you practice" so a bit of overpractice (not to point of injury of course) can be of benefit in that if your practice takes you way beyond what you might need to play live, or soloing etc. You'll actually be playing in the "casual" range of your ability and it will seem effortless. Which brings me to my other Favorite phrase smile.gif

"True Skill Is Effortless"

Of course it only SEEMS EFFORTLESS since the effort went in well before anything appears skillful. Just ask Jordan smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (korblitz @ Oct 21 2012, 07:22 AM) *

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 22 2012, 12:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Oct 22 2012, 09:53 AM) *
I'm always searching for inspirational quotes and video's, I think we as people need to be reminded of certain things every now and then. Take whatever you can from other people's experience's, to get you through yours.

Like Batman...

Yo J-Dogg ! cool.gif

True, very true. If we don't keep the positive attitude topped up with constant replenishment things slide back so easily, which is annoying. But just like guitar practise, nothing in life that is worth doing is easy smile.gif

I'm intrigued about Batman, though...

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 23 2012, 08:20 AM
Instructor
Hmmm, I think Jordan meant that Batman was dealing with that sort of stuff while struggling to get past the death of his parents and all that? Am I wrong...? huh.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Oct 23 2012, 08:24 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Oct 21 2012, 04:01 PM) *
Glad you like it ! Also, thanks for transcribing as I didn't know what he said when he said 'free throw line' smile.gif

Yeah, Ben's right, No more shortcuts, korblitz!!!

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Oct 23 2012, 08:25 AM

+Quote Post
Shteff
Dec 12 2012, 10:45 PM
I'm sure that most of you have already watched this one. But maybe someone have missed it:

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 13 2012, 08:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Shteff @ Dec 12 2012, 09:45 PM) *
I'm sure that most of you have already watched this one. But maybe someone have missed it:

It's a classic, but it's never too often to see it again biggrin.gif Thanks for sharing mate smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 14 2012, 02:06 AM
Great vid smile.gif Worth watching again, and again.

QUOTE (Shteff @ Dec 12 2012, 04:45 PM) *

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 14 2012, 11:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Shteff @ Dec 12 2012, 09:45 PM) *

Yeah that's a classic from Senor Vai. I'd love to just sit down and have a chat with him about any subject ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:31 AM