101 Timing Lesson, Request
RIP Dime
Mar 9 2008, 03:03 AM
GMC:er
Sorry if this has been requested before. I know Kris touched on it in the metronome lesson, and that there is a timing exercise by Muris, but I think I'm in need of a series of lessons that cover timing in depth, from basics to stuff like odd times.

I think timing is extremely important, because if you cut music down into the most basic of explanations, it's notes played is a certain timing, so it's like half of music. I would love to see more lessons dedicated to timing. Like the theory of timing along with it''s application in band situations. Maybe a collab with Kyle on drums and a guitar instructor.

Personally, I have a pretty ok natural sense of timing, but when I play with someone else, I'm going along with the feel of the timing, I don't actually know the machine that drives timing like I know the theory behind note selection, like scales, modes, chords, and formulas. I feel that this is a big hole in my playing. I'm absolutely obsessed with knowing how things work, and considering I'm trying to become a musician I know very little about timing. I'm currently checking out Andrew's 101 Time lessons, but I think I'm in need of something more applied? I'm not sure. I'm not trying to discredit your lessons Andrew, I think I'm just the kind of person that learns by hearing and doing.

I think more video timing lessons will benefit players of all skill levels on this site, if one of the instructors is kind enough to indulge me, I'll be forever grateful! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by RIP Dime: Mar 9 2008, 03:05 AM

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Mar 9 2008, 03:06 AM
Im the same way, some timing lessons would be great...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Mar 9 2008, 03:23 AM
Drum instructor
I'm game...if a guitar instructor would team up with me

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 9 2008, 01:32 PM
Instructor
That's a great idea! I'll keep it in mind for the future lessons for sure! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kyle Logue
Mar 9 2008, 06:07 PM
Drum instructor
I had an idea a couple days after I actually read this topic and have a suggestion now.

If you want to dig into some tough timing stuff that you can hear. Check out the band Dream Theater. They use odd time signatures all throughout their songs.

Check THIS out too. It's a video of their drummer talking about the time signatures and their application.

I hope this is somewhat of an answer to your request.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Mar 9 2008, 08:40 PM
QUOTE (Kyle Logue @ Mar 9 2008, 06:07 PM) *
I had an idea a couple days after I actually read this topic and have a suggestion now.

If you want to dig into some tough timing stuff that you can hear. Check out the band Dream Theater. They use odd time signatures all throughout their songs.

Check THIS out too. It's a video of their drummer talking about the time signatures and their application.

I hope this is somewhat of an answer to your request.

Yes, I'm a big Dream Theater fan, but that video was great, and helped shed some light on the whole odd timing thing, and how to count it. That combined with Andrew's Time lessons, I'm startiing to understand it more now. Thanks!

Ivan: Looking foreward to it!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:58 PM