Changing String Guage
VIRUS
Apr 29 2006, 07:35 AM
GMC:er
I want to change the strings on my B.C. Rich Warlock from 9's to 10's But will any work or any kind of setting-up have to take place to do it? (The strings go thru the body, so would it put more tension on the neck and warp it or something? Or will nothing happen at all? Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David
Apr 29 2006, 09:21 AM
Well it's only a small change, so probably the only thing you have to adjust is the intonation. Maybe you have to adjust the trussrod a little bit as well if you think the action is getting too high.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Tank
Apr 29 2006, 01:46 PM
GMC Veteran
QUOTE (VIRUS)
I want to change the strings on my B.C. Rich Warlock from 9's to 10's But will any work or any kind of setting-up have to take place to do it? (The strings go thru the body, so would it put more tension on the neck and warp it or something? Or will nothing happen at all? Thanks.

If you've got a floyd rose, you'll need to reset it, as the extra tension on the strings will pull it up from the body and unintentionally raise the action. If its a tunomatic (fixed) bridge, you'll may just need to raise the action slightly to give some extra clearance for the thicker strings. And you will need to readjust the intonation as David pointed out, but it's not a major job, and the neck shouldn't have any problems with .10's on there.

+Quote Post
VIRUS
Apr 29 2006, 08:00 PM
Awesome. Thanks Guys!!!!!

+Quote Post
Confusion
Apr 30 2006, 12:11 AM
i have a jackson with a string-trough body, and i had no problems changing the strings from 0.9 to 0.10

+Quote Post
VIRUS
Apr 30 2006, 01:59 AM
QUOTE (Tank)
QUOTE (VIRUS)

If you've got a floyd rose, you'll need to reset it, as the extra tension on the strings will pull it up from the body and unintentionally raise the action. If its a tunomatic (fixed) bridge, you'll may just need to raise the action slightly to give some extra clearance for the thicker strings. And you will need to readjust the intonation as David pointed out, but it's not a major job, and the neck shouldn't have any problems with .10's on there.

Its a String-Thru Body, and I can't find the truss rod thingy. It cant be inside the tremolo cavity in the back of the guitar, because like i said, it has no tremolo, and its definetly not on the headstock. I just want to take the correct measures, because i dont want the neck to warp.

+Quote Post
Screaming Solo
Apr 30 2006, 05:09 AM
you'll be alright man, going from .09s to .10s isn't all that big of a deal, and you won't need to adjust your trussrod for it unless if you're somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to your setups

if it was a FR trem though, you'd have to make some adjustments

and don't worry, you will not warp your neck

do you see a little plastic cover with screws on it on the headstock? if so, that is the trussrod cover, you take that off, then you can access the trussrod for adjustment

thats where it is on 99% of guitars at least

you can get a nice view of it here

http://www.saitensprung.ch/News%20Bilder/B...ock_Detail1.jpg

+Quote Post
VIRUS
Apr 30 2006, 09:59 PM
Will it be cool if i switch to 10's and the next time i need to re-string switch back to 9's?????

+Quote Post
Screaming Solo
May 1 2006, 12:46 AM
QUOTE (VIRUS)
Will it be cool if i switch to 10's and the next time i need to re-string switch back to 9's?????

yeah it'll be fine

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 03:56 AM