212 Cab Vs. 2x 10 Cab
mhskeide
Dec 28 2009, 06:04 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
Hi guys

I`m about to buy myself some new amplification. I want a rock n roll/blues kinda amp for the band I`m currently in, which plays surf (where I do the lead which requires a bit gain). I`ve been thinking of the Vox Nighttrain (as mentioned in earlier post), the Egnator Rebel 20 or a Peavey classic 30. I`m still open for suggestions, just so that is said smile.gif

Here`s the "tricky" part. For home-use and studio-use, I want an amp with good high-gain, and as many others I`ve fallen in love with the lovely Blackstar HT-5.

So I`ve currently thought of the following sollutions:
1. Buy the HT-5 fullstack (with two 10" cabs), and switch the head when playing in band with a drummer. Wouldn`t that work?
2. Buy a used Harley & Benton cab (for a good price, in mint condition and it has recieved good reviews) and a head for band-use, and buy an additional HT-5 head for studio/home- use.
3. Buy the H&B cab and a head for band, and buy a HT-5 combo so I don`t need to move the cab all the time.

Summary: Will the HT-5 sound equally good through another 2*12 cab? Vice versa, will another head sound loud enough for band-use through two 10" Blackstar cabs?

The price diffence between the HT-5 combo and head is in Norway around 150$, but when playing in my "studio", the head would be a more easy to place. On the other hand, the HT-5 combo will be much easier to carry for small jams with just guitars and similar.
So, what do you think is the best sollution of the mentioned above?

-Magnus

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 28 2009, 06:18 PM
Learning Tone Master
Twelve inch speakers have proven themselves to be the ideal size for giving out guitar tones; mids, bass, treble - everything fits nicely!

The 10 inch speakers that come with the Blackstar are ok but a neat 2x12 cab with good speakers will sound far better and propably work better in a band context...

I would go for an amp head for rehearsals, a 2x12 cab with V30 speakers and a Blackstar HT-5 combo for home use. Reasons:

-The combo sounds great and isn't too expensive - perfect for home use
-You don't want to drag your cabs arround, may it 2x12 or 2x10 - trust me!!
-You can also plug the ht-5 combo into a cab if neccessary

This is a really great sounding and cheap 2x12 with celestion vintage 30 speakers!
http://www.thomann.de/de/framus_fr212_cb.h...0197fa2594b0eed

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 28 2009, 08:04 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I think I sent an e-mail upon a guy who sold one of those Framus cabs as well.
If not, I`ll probably end up buying the used H&B cab, got an overall of 8.5/10 and it`s in mint condition for 2/3 of the price smile.gif

Thanks as usual for the input Zakk, appreciate it!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 28 2009, 09:26 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I don't like the idea of carrying tube amps around... that's when they break, or the tubes to be more specific. Doesn't happen often but the more often you move it the more often tubes will go.

The best solution is to have two amps. I can vouch for the Peavey classic 30 since I had one, it sounded soooo goooood. But for band situation I'd rather go for a Classic 50 - that's my own preference since we play loud at rehearsal. And for home use it's way too loud. THe HT-5 is perfect for home and studio.

Regarding 10" or 12" I've had both a full stack of 4x10 (i.e. 8x10) but traded them for a 4x12 cab.
The 10" are responsive and "quick" but lack the low end. For surf I suppose they'd do well but I was more happy with a single 4x12 for rock music.
However, the 10" in the HT cab you could fool me for a 12" speaker.

I have my doubts about cheapo cabs. I have a Marshall 4x12 that I measured to exactly 8 Ohm and so forth. The cheapo cab which is supposed to be 8 Ohm I measured to 13 Ohm. huh
Now that's tricky theory since when it's got a load the impedance will vary so I don't know what to think. 13 Ohm feels a bit off though. It's not a Harley Benton but from another German musicstore so possibly similar.

Anyway, HT5 for home (combo is convenient, I have a head + cab) and a 40-50 tubeamp for practice and gigs is my suggestion. smile.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 28 2009, 11:35 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Oh, and if you can... Buy those Framus cabs smile.gif
Framus cabs are great in my opinion smile.gif

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 29 2009, 12:18 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 28 2009, 09:26 PM) *
Anyway, HT5 for home (combo is convenient, I have a head + cab) and a 40-50 tubeamp for practice and gigs is my suggestion. smile.gif

Just to make sure I got the right point, you suggest HT-5 fullstack, and just switch the head when practising with band and still use the Blackstar cab wink.gif ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 29 2009, 12:27 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (mhskeide @ Dec 29 2009, 12:18 AM) *
Just to make sure I got the right point, you suggest HT-5 fullstack, and just switch the head when practising with band and still use the Blackstar cab wink.gif ?

Nope wink.gif

Assuming you've got your home and your band practice at different locations you get a HT5 combo for home and a 40-50W amp to keep, stationary, in the rehearsal room.
Carrying two cab's back and forth is maybe fun the first couple of times but gets tiresome in the long run. Especially in deep snow and freezing cold like nowadays laugh.gif

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Dec 29 2009, 12:34 AM
Accomplished Tone Guru
QUOTE (MickeM @ Dec 29 2009, 12:27 AM) *
Nope wink.gif

Assuming you've got your home and your band practice at different locations you get a HT5 combo for home and a 40-50W amp to keep, stationary, in the rehearsal room.
Carrying two cab's back and forth is maybe fun the first couple of times but gets tiresome in the long run. Especially in deep snow and freezing cold like nowadays laugh.gif

Aha, alrighty wink.gif

HT-5 for homeuse then, and I`ll have to reconsider the cab I mentioned. I thought it was a nice price, but it`s actually cheaper NEW from Thomann, though with shipping and VAT it will be equal. And since both Audiopaal and Zakk speaks warmly of the Framus cab (which is at least a brand I`ve heard of, and exclusively positive things), I might put some more cash into it and buy one of those smile.gif

Another question which have made me curious a bunch of times, how does the impedance thing really work regarding which amps you can hook up the different cabs? I know that some amps have different outputs for different impedances, is it the larger voltage/wattage on the amp, the larger impedance?.. since they are proportional sizes tongue.gif
(I have a feeling that my last question was really badly phrased laugh.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Dec 29 2009, 07:30 PM
GMC:er
I run an Epi Valve Jr through a 2x12 cab. No problems and I like the sound.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 30 2009, 12:14 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I'd go 2x12 too, it sounds so good smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 31 2009, 01:55 AM
Instructor
I recommend you get that HB 212 cab and (min 50W) hybrid cheap guitar amp head for the band and buy HT5 with the cab for home use.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Jan 1 2010, 06:27 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
UPDATE

I`ve been looking at some used amplification, and have currently found two which seems to suit my needs.

I`ve searched particularly for Peavy Classic, since I`ve not tried too many of the other 15-50 W amps earlier mentioned. I borrowed a Classic once, so at least I know what it`s capable of smile.gif

The first option for now is a Peavey Classic 50W 212 Combo in that vintage tweed design (which looks awesome)! It costs 5000 NOK (860$, ca. 700$ without VAT)
The second is a halfstack, with a Peavey Classic 30W and matching 2*12 cab in a kinda vintage black design. That costs 7500NOK (just over 1000$ without VAT).

I do want a stack, but I have to say, the idea of paying 50 % more for less watts and a less attractive design does not turn me on tongue.gif
I`m rehearsing with a guitar player who has the Orange Tiny Terror 15W, so I`m not concerned if I need the extra 20W for the volume. It will be a pretty heavy amplifier, but if I but the HT-5, it won`t be moved as much anyways.

So except for the practical side, are there at all any argument against buying the combo instead?

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:36 AM