The Hirajoshi Sound
Ben Higgins
Dec 3 2013, 01:49 PM
Instructor
In light of my new lesson, I thought we could share some examples of the Hirajoshi Scale being used in music. Obviously, there's Marty Friedman who is well known for using it.. but can anybody think of any other guitar players that have made use of it ? (This might be a very quiet thread !)

One that springs to mind is Steve Vai. I remember first hearing the album Alive in an Ultra World and recognising the sound in the song 'Burning Rain', the song for Japan.

From 2:10 onwards, you can hear Steve using the scale for most of his phrasing smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregc1
Dec 3 2013, 03:18 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Really cool Ben, I've really been digging your latest Marty Friedman stuff. Just about have "Outside Bending" and "Targeting the Chord" REC takes ready to go. This one will be added to the list as well.

To answer your question though, no, I really can't think of other players that use this scale. Friedman is the only one that comes to mind although I'm sure I've probably heard other guitarists use it, just didn't recognize what I was hearing.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Dec 3 2013, 05:23 PM
GMC:er
I'm sure that only player that uses this scale IS SHREDDER to fight against Hamato Yoshi and his disciples !!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Dec 3 2013, 06:38 PM
A lot of jazzers started using it in the mid 60s. Wayne Shorter, McCoy Tyner and John Coltrane in particular. It's been generically referred to as in-sen.
They will 'adapt' a note here and there depending on whether they want to use it over a major or a minor chord.

Here's part of a Kenny Barron tune that uses it ('Golden Lotus' - no original version youtube clip available).

Attached Image

This post has been edited by klasaine: Dec 3 2013, 06:39 PM

+Quote Post
Bossie
Dec 3 2013, 11:19 PM
And don't forget this guy .. wink.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/modal_...irajoshi_scale/

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 4 2013, 10:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Bossie @ Dec 3 2013, 10:19 PM) *

That's cheating wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:39 PM