8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Blacker Than Black Collab, Extreme Metal Collaboration !
Ben Higgins
Nov 16 2012, 10:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Nov 16 2012, 08:36 PM) *
This should be worth some kind of donut.

A Black Donut... or maybe something more like this..

Attached Image

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Nov 16 2012, 09:12 PM) *
Ok here a little record !

Dieter

[attachment=29547:Blacker_...k_Collab.mp3]

[attachment=29546:Blacker_...k_ohne__.mp3]

Oh yeah, D-Killer !! cool.gif

Your first Black Metal solo !! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2012, 05:48 AM
GMC:er
Created a new OVERLOUD TH1 patch with an old school sound and used some of vintage blackened chops which focus much more on vibe/atmosphere than technical precision. It's primitive, but that's what Black Metal is all about smile.gif We are going to go through these techniques in this SATURDAYS VIDEO CHAT SESSION so BEN!! CAN I USE YOUR SPIFF TRACK THIS WEEKEND IN MY LESSON?

YOU RAAAAAAAWWWWWWWKKKKKKKK (Growl/grunt/argghh)

Attached File  Todd_BlackenedSolo_WBT.wav ( 5.8MB ) Number of downloads: 191

Attached File  Todd_BlackenedSolo_WOBT.wav ( 5.8MB ) Number of downloads: 167

http://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/todd-blackened-solo-wbt-ben

Here is the patch just in case!
Attached File  137_Th1PatchBank.xml.zip ( 2.12K ) Number of downloads: 130

***BEN!!! WHAT ABOUT MAKING THIS IN TO A FULL TRACK?******
Todd

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 15 2012, 07:33 AM) *
Warriors of the Axe ! I thought it time to bring you a more intense, extreme track. So without further ado I present my latest audio collab...

BLACKER THAN BLACK

[attachment=29533:Blacker_than_Black.mp3]

I was inspired by Todd's Black Metal documentary thread. I wanted to get something with icy chords and blastbeats happening. It's bit of a change to the kind of thing you guys know me for.. wink.gif

The first 'riff' is basically centred around D Minor and alternates between G# (which is the Tritone, flat 5th etc) and D. It hits the G# and D a2 time before resolving from G# to A. That would essentially mean that it resolves from the flat 5th to the perfect 5th.

So this can give us mainly a minor sound. I would use D Minor, D Minor Pentatonic.. and just emphasise the G# (flat 5th) every now and then. Or try D Phrygian Dominant.. or even Harmonic Minor.. see what gives you an evil sound !

The next riff use Em to Fm with an open E root note as a pedal tone between the chords. The F would give us a minor 2nd suggesting modes like Phrygian, Phrygian Dominant.. but also try the normal E Minor scale too smile.gif

I know it's a fast track but don't worry about your skills, I want this to be open to everyone.

Why not totally go against the grain and put some slow, bluesy licks over it ?! laugh.gif

It's an audio collab only so mp3's or wavs will do just fine !

Deadline is Wednesday 28th November !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 17 2012, 05:51 AM

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Nov 17 2012, 06:15 AM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 17 2012, 01:39 AM) *

Attached Image

Whadda 'bout black sausage laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Nov 17 2012, 10:59 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 17 2012, 05:48 AM) *
Created a new OVERLOUD TH1 patch with an old school sound and used some of vintage blackened chops which focus much more on vibe/atmosphere than technical precision. It's primitive, but that's what Black Metal is all about smile.gif We are going to go through these techniques in this SATURDAYS VIDEO CHAT SESSION so BEN!! CAN I USE YOUR SPIFF TRACK THIS WEEKEND IN MY LESSON?

***BEN!!! WHAT ABOUT MAKING THIS IN TO A FULL TRACK?******
Todd

Todd u drilled this one , like with Black & Decker Power Driller

Yeah, FFULL track would be awesome!!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 17 2012, 01:01 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 17 2012, 04:48 AM) *

Todd this rocks ! I was hoping for guitar insanity and you didn't disappoint !! cool.gif

Dude, you can use any of my riffs anytime !! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 17 2012, 05:15 AM) *
Whadda 'bout black sausage laugh.gif

That is black sausage that I posted, just a complete one that hasn't been chopped into biggrin.gif

It's funny because we call it Black Pudding in England smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Nov 17 2012, 02:18 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 16 2012, 10:39 PM) *

Attached Image

Oh yeah, D-Killer !! cool.gif

Your first Black Metal solo !! biggrin.gif

Yakk, that looks ugly... at first i thought it's a dog poop mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 17 2012, 03:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 17 2012, 01:18 PM) *
Yakk, that looks ugly... at first i thought it's a dog poop mellow.gif

I'd be worried about the dog if it produced that !!! laugh.gif

"What's this dog been eating ? Car tyres ??" laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2012, 08:50 PM
Glad you dig it! wink.gif I'm going to teach those chops in todays SATURDAY METAL MELTDOWN. They are a tad nuts, but wads of fun smile.gif Great collab dude, and I"m way serious that we should make this in to a full tune!

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 17 2012, 07:01 AM) *
Todd this rocks ! I was hoping for guitar insanity and you didn't disappoint !! cool.gif

Dude, you can use any of my riffs anytime !! biggrin.gif

Thanks man wink.gif The drill analogy is really dead on!!! The right hand technique I'm using is very "Drill Like", mechanical/repetitive/forceful and gives that spiff aggressive sound. The pioneers in the genre have to be credited for creating these approaches that so many (including me) have stolen/borrowed.

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 17 2012, 04:59 AM) *
Todd u drilled this one , like with Black & Decker Power Driller

Yeah, FFULL track would be awesome!!!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 18 2012, 12:19 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Dropboxed you my stuff you asked for wink.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Nov 19 2012, 10:50 AM
Huh, Todd didn't manage to recruit more people in this Black metal vegan chef collab!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 19 2012, 12:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 19 2012, 09:50 AM) *
Huh, Todd didn't manage to recruit more people in this Black metal vegan chef collab!!

Only a few can withstand the intensity !!! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Saddlefall
Nov 19 2012, 06:12 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Even though I like black metal, I', totally stumped on this one, can't seem to come up with something good. I just end up picking the strings like crazy and it sounds crap cause I can't shred, lol tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Explorer
Jackson Warrior WRXT
Jackson RR24
Schecter Demon 7 string

Amp:
Marshall JMD:1

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 20 2012, 10:17 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Saddlefall @ Nov 19 2012, 05:12 PM) *
Even though I like black metal, I', totally stumped on this one, can't seem to come up with something good. I just end up picking the strings like crazy and it sounds crap cause I can't shred, lol tongue.gif

Hey dude, just because the backing is typical fast BM, doesn't mean the licks have to be. I often choose to do a total contrast with what the backing is doing. If the backing is fast, go slower, hold some notes for ages.. a bit like what Chris Poland did in Megadeth on the super fast tracks.. he'd hold those high bends for ages and then play a little flurry of something.

Go for melody.. it's less of a headache and easier to get a better solo !! smile.gif

I've heard what you can play so no excuses !!! Are you a NINJA or a NANCY BOY ?? cool.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Nov 20 2012, 04:36 PM
Tone Seeker
Heyey Ben

I have these notes a# b c g d# for the 2nd part. Do they "fit" blink.gif
I half bend to c then release to b and pull of to a#

This post has been edited by WeePee: Nov 20 2012, 04:38 PM

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Nov 20 2012, 04:40 PM
QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 20 2012, 04:36 PM) *
Heyey Ben

Man, have you listened to Black Metal at all? tongue.gif
Every note fits , if it's nice incorporated into atmosphere wink.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Nov 20 2012, 04:51 PM
Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Nov 20 2012, 07:40 PM) *
Man, have you listened to Black Metal at all? tongue.gif
Every note fits , if it's nice incorporated into atmosphere wink.gif

Allright !! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 20 2012, 05:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 20 2012, 03:36 PM) *
Heyey Ben

Yeah, just go for it man ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Nov 20 2012, 07:25 PM
Tone Seeker
ph34r.gif

https://soundcloud.com/alfafirefox/blackerthanblacky

This post has been edited by WeePee: Nov 20 2012, 08:02 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  blackerthanblacky___wp_s_guitar_only.mp3 ( 555.92K ) Number of downloads: 107

+Quote Post
llibach
Nov 20 2012, 11:56 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ain't really into black metal but thought I'd have a stab at this one. So corpse paint and studs on.
http://soundcloud.com/llibach/blacker-full
http://soundcloud.com/llibach/blacker-no-backing

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 21 2012, 09:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Nov 20 2012, 06:25 PM) *

Hell yeah, diggin' this ! smile.gif

This is what I meant when I said that the solo doesn't have to reflect the speed of the backing track. Just because the backing is fast, the solo doesn't have to be. In fact, a contrast is usually better to add melody to the extreme nature of the track ! Great work V ! cool.gif

QUOTE (llibach @ Nov 20 2012, 10:56 PM) *
Ain't really into black metal but thought I'd have a stab at this one. So corpse paint and studs on.
http://soundcloud.com/llibach/blacker-full
http://soundcloud.com/llibach/blacker-no-backing

Nice work L !! Did you feel the icy blasts of the Norwegian landscape as you sculpted out your caustic licks ?? cool.gif

Great stuff !

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 09:53 AM