Metal Amp For My Bedroom, Krank Rev Jr, Blackstar HT5 or Engl Savage
29a
Feb 23 2009, 12:38 AM
GMC:er
For some reason I want to buy myself a new amp. Probably because playing my engl e530 + gt10 through a microcube just sucks. Now because I still live with my parents and I'm not playing in a band right now I have to play quietly sad.gif. Yes I've already told them that metal is meant to be loud, but they told me that metal is meant to be played in a stadium and not at home laugh.gif Anyway, back to the topic. So these are the options I'm considering, from cheap to fscking expensive:

- Blackstar HT5 mini stack
- Krank Rev Jr (Pro) either the halfstack, fullstack or with a 2x12
- ENGL Savage 120 + Engl 4x12 Pro Cab + Attenuator

For those too lazy to read the rest of this post here's what I'm looking for:
- Bed room tube amp with effects loop and metal tone.

Now the ENGL is definitely my favorite amp. Now first of all it would cost me like 3000€. A lot for a bedroom amp and enough to ruin me. It has also a quite high ambient noise level. So the signal to noise ratio is very high when playing at low volumes. I think I could solve that using an attenuator. The other problem is that as long as there is a reasonable amount of bass present that thing shakes the ground. Maybe this is compensated a bit be the attenuator. It's also to heavy to lift around (the cab is like 50kg and the head 20-30 kg, in total that's heavier then me laugh.gif ) Any way it would be overkill.

Ok next amp, the Krank Rev Jr. It seems to be just what I need. A metal amp for the bedroom. But I haven't seen this one in person. On clips it sounds great though. It's a lot cheaper too, I could get it for less than a third of the price of an engl savage + cab. 20 Watts should also be enough to play together with a friend, and it's surely lighter than 50 kg. I could also use my ENGL E530 preamp with it to get that classic ENGL tone.

And finally the backstar ht5. Which is even cheaper. I could get six ht5 fullstacks for the price of an engl savage halfstack. But on videos it sounds very fizzy. Also I really don't get the electronics in this thing. How is this supposed to get a proper distortion with only one preamp tube? I'm really not sure about this one.

Now, I think the Krank Jr seems to be the right thing for me. What do you guys (do we have any girls around here? unsure.gif) think? Did I miss an amp?

- Jonas

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks
"If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy." - Phil Zimmermann
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 23 2009, 01:11 AM
Learning Tone Master
If you're into the quite unique sound of ENGL amps, the Savage is prolly the best one arround...it also sounds good on low levels

The Blackstar delivers a distortion that is enough for an Iron Maiden type of Metal, but it is no high gain amp. You would have to use a pedal to get a real distorted tone...

The Krank is great and the only REAL tube low watt metal amp out there; sounds great and is loud enough for playing with friends, if needed. I think it's too expensive in Europe tough (like all Krank amps)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 23 2009, 01:13 AM
Instructor
From what I've heard and red, the Krank is a great little metal beast, so of three I definitely recommend that mate.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 23 2009, 01:17 AM
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Feb 23 2009, 01:03 AM) *
the ENGL savage sounds pretty awesome but does the price justify how good it actually is?
It's still cheaper than a mesa boogie roadking laugh.gif Well I think it is worth it when you can really use it. And I'm pretty sure that I'll buy one of these but for now it really seems to be overkill. I mean, I don't wanna unleash my sloppy playing at 120db in my bedroom. laugh.gif (Ok ok I would like to but I want to keep my room for some more months laugh.gif)

The Krank is great and the only REAL tube low watt metal amp out there; sounds great and is loud enough for playing with friends, if needed. I think it's too expensive in Europe tough (like all Krank amps)

Zakk, I do love that engl sound. But at the guitar store I wasn't able to get a good sound at a low volume. Either it did shake the ground or it had no balls at all. But it's probably a general problem that you can't have a heavy sound without shaking the ground. wink.gif And speaking of kranks prices it seems like they've just replaced usd with euro :/ But when I import things from germany I mostly get a quite good price because VAT in germany is like 20% and in switzerland it's only 7.6%.

Jonas

This post has been edited by 29a: Feb 23 2009, 01:27 AM

--------------------
My Website | My Gear | Elixir Nanoweb Strings Review | Installing Schaller Security Locks

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 23 2009, 11:18 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
How about a Randall RM20 head - 15 watts - and add a 1x12 to that. Still, 15 watts is too loud for bedroom playing IMO but it seem to be a sweeet amp with all the different preamp additions which would allow you to get any sound you want.

I've got the HT5 and I'm very happy with it. The preamp is based on one of their epic pedals. All I can say that it sound great and it does vintage tones up to metal. Not really the raw Gothenburg sound but enough to fool a Dream Theater fan with wink.gif
EDIT: And it's engineered to sound like a cranked 100W amp in it's characteristics already at low volume.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Feb 23 2009, 11:20 AM

+Quote Post
29a
Feb 23 2009, 07:59 PM
The RM20 could be something seems to be quite expensive and hard to get though.

Speaking of the HT5, it just doesn't seem to have that low end punch and growl to it. It seems to be made more for classic rock tones. But I've never seen one of these in person so far so I can't tell.

Jonas

--------------------

+Quote Post
29a
Mar 1 2009, 04:22 PM
I've ordered the Krank Rev. Jr Fullstack (...and a new guitar and stuff) biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 1 2009, 04:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
What GUITAR?!?! WHAT STUFF?!?!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
29a
Mar 1 2009, 04:40 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 1 2009, 04:32 PM) *
What GUITAR?!?! WHAT STUFF?!?!
A special Schecter B2. Similar to this one: http://www.harmony-central.com/ProductImag...e/000030121.jpg and a deep sea green c-1 classic for my girlfriend smile.gif and stuff boring things like a matching gigbag, heavy strings for the b2, schaller straplocks for all my guitars, a more comfortable leather strap, a case for my c-1 classic as well as some picks. As you can see nothing interesting enough to rival your marshall biggrin.gif

Jonas

This post has been edited by 29a: Mar 1 2009, 04:41 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:29 PM