Gibson Or Epiphone
Graeme
Oct 1 2007, 11:31 PM
GMC:er
Hi all,

I have just bought a secondhand black flying 'V'. the guy I bought it off said it is an epiphone but an older one made in USA not china as are the newer ones. however it says gibson at the top of the neck. Can anyone help me to identify what it really is?

Regards

Graeme

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 1 2007, 11:54 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Have a look at this Graeme. Might be able to confirm it for you.

Cheers,
Tony

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Graeme
Oct 2 2007, 12:09 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 1 2007, 11:54 PM) *
Have a look at this Graeme. Might be able to confirm it for you.

Cheers,
Tony

thanks tony, I will check the serial number when I get home tonight.

Cheers

Graeme

+Quote Post
Graeme
Oct 2 2007, 04:38 AM
Serial Number is U01063658 and it says "inspected and setup in the USA by €.

Can anyone tell me something more about my guitar.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 2 2007, 05:49 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Graeme @ Oct 2 2007, 05:38 AM) *
Serial Number is U01063658 and it says "inspected and setup in the USA by €.

Can anyone tell me something more about my guitar.

Following tonymiros suggested link I read this information out of it.

Could be an Epiphone
U = Factory code (USA?)
01= Year 2001
06 = Month 06
3658 = ranking number
There's Gibson stickers to paste on the head stock so if he says it's an Epi that's probably what was done.
The neck could have been exchanged aswell but my bet is that it's a sticker.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 2 2007, 08:02 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Think MickeM is right that it's an Epi made in the US on that serial Graeme.

Pretty certain that US Epi's are better than the non-US ones but... Also as MickeM also says might not be the original neck.

If it helps any Gibsons have two screws in the truss rod cover on the neck - not three - all copys, including EPi's, that I've ever seen have three. Even if the cover has two screws take it off and have a look - if there are three screw holes it's unlikely to be an original Gibson neck.
Cheers,
Tony.

Ignore the bit about 2 screws in the truss rod cover Graeme - doesn't seem to apply to V's (though its true for Les Pauls and semis). V's seem to have 3 screws dry.gif .

Sorry about the misinformation there.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
goat
Oct 3 2007, 02:37 AM
If I remember correctly the Epiphone truss rod covers are supposed to be longer than the Gibson covers on flying Vs. Probably doesn't help you much unless you have a factory Gibson cover to compare yours with (or unless you suddenly notice some filled in screw holes on your headstock above your truss rod cover) but yeah.

+Quote Post
dogman
Oct 4 2007, 01:48 AM
MickeM had it right just wrong factory.

U01063658

U= Unsung factory in Korea
01= year
06= June
3658= factory rank

Some very good guitars have come from Unsung in the late 90's and early 2000's

If you know a very good tech who can tweak it, give it a fret dress and polish and take all the guts out and put stock Gibson USA hardware and wiring it could as nice as any gibson USA model out there for less than half the price.

I should know. I have an 02 epi les paul custom that was totally gone through dressed and all new USA parts with Seymour Duncan pickups and I play that more than my other REAL USA Les Pauls. It screams and plays like butter

(ps) FYI, even though it says inspected or assembled in the USA they still dont use real Gibson USA parts. They use Epiphone parts unless the guitar was actually built in the USA on a Gibson line.

Hope that helps.... wink.gif

This post has been edited by dogman: Oct 4 2007, 01:50 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:12 PM