Recording Advice Wanted (macbook Pro), MacBook Pro ... but what's the next step?
sammy_k
Feb 19 2008, 02:09 AM
GMC:er
Hello guys,

Introduction
My name is Sammy (22). Most of you won't know me, apart from Kris, but I've been a subscriber (member) of GMC in the past. Shortly after I bought my first electric guitar (Gibson Les Paul Standard) and a bit later (after saving enough money again) my first amp (Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 122). We're speaking about a period of 1 year and a half ago here , almost 2 years (in july it'll be 2 years)

I had to concentrate on my studies at university (Master in Social Work) which took alot of time and energy, which made it hard for me to combine it with a lovely girlfriend (we're together for almost 5 years now), studies, social contact with my friends and family and : learning how to play guitar. I had to choose what was most urgent for me to focus on. I choose for my studies and girlfriend, but I kept the dream alive in my head to really learn how to play seriously.

Today, it's more clear where my life is going (the love for my girlfriend is still growing bigger every day and it seems I'm studying things that I really like) and there's also time for my passion which I had to put in the fridge for some time: learning how to play electric guitar! I've bee following GMC all the time and I must say the activity on the forum and the website in general is a stimulating factor for me. Especially the many interesting instructors, the virtual bands, the collaborations, etc.

I'm one of those guys that always wants to go for it 100% and in the past that wasn't possible for playing the guitar. If I do something, I want to do it right and I keep on trying. That's what I'm going to do now too. I see this as a fresh start. In total I maybe played guitar for about a month, so this is practically a fresh first start smile.gif But enough looking into the past, let's talk about the future. That's where you guys come into the picture ! biggrin.gif

I want to be able to record different guitar parts, so I can keep track of my progress. I'm convinced that recording my own play with offer chances to improve. Because when you listen to yourself, you hear the mistakes. And mistakes are there to correct, so you can improve. I also want to share my progress with others and give and receive feedback. Conclusion: I want to learn, give and receive.

Recording questions

I want to be able to make recordings in two specific situations/settings because I feel this boosts me in learning how to play. It motivates me and makes me want to pick up the guitar. I need to:

- Record guitar parts (later maybe vocals, but not at this stage) with only a macbook pro, software and an audio-interface (if that's what I need) including the necessary cables (RECORD WITHOUT MARSHALL AMP)

- Record the sound from my Marshall amp (with microphone I guess) so I capture as much as possible of the 'real' sound the tubes produce, after which I want to use software to edit the recordings

I read most topics on the forum about what to buy and was thinking about TonePort UX 2, PODXT or any 'good' audio-interface under $440 / €300 to use in combination with the standard Shure microphone to record electric guitars if I want to capture the sound directly from my amp.

I'd like to hear from the instructors what they would recommend. Especially because I want to make a smart buy, as my Marshall and guitar did already cost alot for me as a student and I think for everyone (you know the prices so wink.gif)

Keeping in mind the fact I want to record both at home (where my Marshall amp is) during the weekends and at the university home (room) during the week, I would prefer a recording solution that enables me doing both with the same hardware/software. Reading various threads on this and other forums, I more or less picked up the idea that following setup might be what I need:

Software + Macbook Pro + Audio-interface (USB or Firewire) + Amp (to record the sound from my amp)
Software + MacBook Pro + e.g. TonePort UX 2 + guitar
Software + MacBook Pro + TonePort UX 2 + Sure microphone + Amp (to record the sound from my amp)

What Audio-interfaces would you recommend?
Would I be able to do what I want to do with good recording quality?

One other thing that's important for me:

Is there maybe a way to connect my Marshall TSL 122 somehow to my computer using cables? Because I was told it has quiet some possibilities to connect effects (pedals) and to keep control over effects etc, so maybe there are also possibilities with this amp to record somehow, possibilities that are up to now unknown to me? If so, I'd really like to hear.

Basically, I need to be able to record smile.gif At home, I can work with a microphone and my amp, but during the week when I'm not at home, I still want to be able to record guitar parts and exercise like hell if you know what I mean. Just with my macbook pro, the needed software and or audio-interfaces or other hardware that's needed. Why? Because I feel that the fact that I couldn't take my amp back home and the other way around every time and couldn't practice playing with actual sound (recording) to examine (There's practically zero tolerance concerning 'noise' in this building at the university, because there are 400 students who want to study or sleep) I needed a laptop for my studies and with my guitar ambitions in mind I bought a MacBook Pro with Garageband. I also read good things about Reaper, Cubase, Logic Studio, Logic Express etc which I'm willing to buy. I want a good software package, it can be a bit too complicated in the beginning, I would prefer that over choosing something with not enough features when I will need them after a while smile.gif Won't be tomorrow, but I'd rather be prepared for those times smile.gif

Thank for reading my post, I tried to be precise smile.gif And more important, I'm really looking forward to learn all those nice video lessons and maybe after some months contribute in a virtual band or collaboration. I think that would boost my learning process alot.

Cheers!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- sammy_k   Recording Advice Wanted (macbook Pro)   Feb 19 2008, 02:09 AM
- - Nemanja   well I can tell you one thing...and it is about au...   Feb 19 2008, 10:11 AM
|- - sammy_k   QUOTE (Nemanja @ Feb 19 2008, 10:11 AM) w...   Feb 19 2008, 10:52 AM
|- - lavendell   I would definitely recommend ProTools! It...   Feb 19 2008, 11:20 AM
nnn
nnn
- - Milenkovic Ivan   First of all welcome again, and glad you have the ...   Feb 19 2008, 01:46 PM
- - Nemanja   If your sound card is good(I think taht TonePort i...   Feb 19 2008, 03:47 PM
- - sammy_k   Thanks for your suggestions. At the moment, I do...   Feb 19 2008, 07:00 PM
- - Milenkovic Ivan   With Toneport UX1 you get bundled Abletone Live Li...   Feb 19 2008, 10:40 PM
|- - sammy_k   QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 19 2008, 10...   Feb 19 2008, 11:01 PM
nnn
- - Nemanja   yeah sammy you are wright...Pro Tools is very expe...   Feb 20 2008, 09:14 AM
|- - sammy_k   QUOTE (Nemanja @ Feb 20 2008, 09:14 AM) y...   Feb 20 2008, 12:48 PM
nnn
- - Milenkovic Ivan   QUOTE (sammy_k @ Feb 19 2008, 11:01 PM) O...   Feb 20 2008, 05:14 PM
|- - sammy_k   QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 20 2008, 05...   Feb 27 2008, 10:16 PM
|- - Muris   PX4D is cool if you wanna go direct on your laptop...   Feb 28 2008, 12:44 AM
|- - Nemanja   QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 28 2008, 12:44 AM) E-M...   Feb 28 2008, 06:09 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Milenkovic Ivan   Hey Sammi have you bought an interface yet? We wan...   Feb 28 2008, 01:27 AM
|- - sammy_k   QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 28 2008, 01...   Feb 28 2008, 10:47 AM
|- - Muris   Good luck with your purchase!! Btw,it...   Feb 28 2008, 10:53 AM
nnn
nnn
- - wrk   Hi Sammy, Maybe it's interesting for you as y...   Feb 28 2008, 11:59 AM
|- - sammy_k   QUOTE (wrk @ Feb 28 2008, 11:59 AM) Hi Sa...   Feb 28 2008, 03:10 PM
|- - wrk   QUOTE (sammy_k @ Feb 28 2008, 03:10 PM) H...   Feb 28 2008, 04:18 PM
|- - sammy_k   QUOTE (wrk @ Feb 28 2008, 04:18 PM) As i ...   Feb 28 2008, 06:28 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Milenkovic Ivan   Hey Sammy I forgot, do you have an amp? Why are yo...   Feb 28 2008, 07:10 PM
|- - sammy_k   QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 28 2008, 07...   Feb 29 2008, 04:59 PM
nnn
- - Milenkovic Ivan   Your amp is excellent my friend. You can definitel...   Mar 1 2008, 04:40 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:33 AM