What Is Does Low Cut On My Mic Do And When Shoud I Use It?
dcz702
May 26 2013, 11:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
got a audio technica at2050 i know what all the other settings are for, but not the low cut switch

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
May 26 2013, 12:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 26 2013, 11:28 AM) *
got a audio technica at2050 i know what all the other settings are for, but not the low cut switch

it cuts the lows man, there is probably some paper work that tells what frequency

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Amp360
May 26 2013, 05:21 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ May 26 2013, 11:35 AM) *
it cuts the lows man, there is probably some paper work that tells what frequency

Some instruments would benefit from a low end cut. Acoustic guitar would be a good example of this in a lot (not all) of situations. The switch is probably on the mic for live applications or situations when you don't have a lot of extra filters.

--------------------
company contact
www.sparkletune.com
https://www.facebook.com/sparkletune
https://twitter.com/sparkletune1

my personal blog:
www.tanpants.net

thank you to john at GMC for inviting me to join this forum

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 26 2013, 06:11 PM
Instructor
This is what a low cut does:

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 27 2013, 08:50 AM
Instructor
Good point - papers of the mic or owner's manual (probably available in the web) will tell what range and what dB cut value makes this switch. Also - one more good point from amp360 - it's used mostly in live situations cause in DAW You can always use some filters to do the same thing. It You like the raw sound of the mic with that option turned on You cas use it for recordings smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 27 2013, 09:33 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (dcz702 @ May 26 2013, 12:28 PM) *

Low cut will remove (cut away) frequencies you can't really hear but that have a negative impact on your sound in the mix. For example,"muddy" sounding mixes are often the result of lacking low cut on the individual tracks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
pdf64
Jun 1 2013, 01:31 PM
If you like how the mic responds when set to 'cardoid' (eg it rejects room ambience) but find that the proximity effect gives too much bottom end when close miking, then the low cut option will facilitate recording a tone that may not require much further shaping, gives the best dynamic range and will help avoid a compressor over-responding (pumping).
Pete
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardioid_microphone#Cardioid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_effect_(audio)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumping_(audio)

--------------------

+Quote Post
farview
Jun 4 2013, 10:33 PM
It's there to remove rumble at the mic, so it doesn't eat up headroom in the preamp and everything else in the chain.

That along with everything else that has been said in this thread.

I almost never use it, the main time I always use it is when I'm using a LDC on a ride cymbal. It just cleans up some of the stuff I don't want to pick up.

--------------------
Jason "Jay" Walsh Farview Recording
www.farviewrecording.com

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jun 4 2013, 10:40 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
thanks for the replies, ive read up and my qeustions have been answered smile.gif i can always count on gmc community. see couple new people, welcom farview and pdf! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
SixStringSamurai
Jun 6 2013, 08:37 AM
I often use low cut (or a high-pass filter, same thing essentially) on vocals. As a couple of the guys have already said, it cuts out part of the signal that you may not necessarily hear in particular, but eventually will muddy up your mix. I find with vocals, you can't quite liberally apply the high-pass, because most of the human vocal range resides in the mid to treble frequencies.

--------------------
http://www.six-string-samurai.com - Gear reviews for the terminally GAS-afflicted.

Thank you to John at GMC for inviting me to hang out and talk gear with you guys!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:49 PM