Ear Training, Shed Your Secrets Here
Richard6669
Feb 20 2008, 05:41 PM
GMC:er
Whats up everybody, this is my first post so I will introduce myself first. My name is Richard, I'm 18 and live in Houston, Texas. I've been lurking the forums for a couple months and been playing for little over a year now with great success.

On to the Topic: Ear Training ohmy.gif

Lately, I have understood the value and importance of Ear Training relating to guitar, but I am somewhat lost. I have been going to eartrainer.com and practicing recognizing intervals and notes. I have also been practicing more rhythm guitar and chords and such, which I believe help with the ears. So my question to you GMC'ers, what components of ear training are most important and what techniques/programs/websites have improved your ears? Ideally, I would like to essentially have perfect pitch and know what key any song is in, and also be able to transcribe music.
SHARE YOUR SECRETS.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
at lights end
Feb 20 2008, 05:45 PM
welcome to GMC! biggrin.gif
i don't know what to say about ear training but im fairly sure it takes years of experience.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 20 2008, 05:47 PM
Hey Richard,

First of all welcome to GMC! smile.gif

I started using Earmaster Pro recently which really helped me better develop abilities in the ear training area, its paid though you may want to check it out - theres probably a demo somewhere to try for free, but I started using it because someone mentioned it on here (think it was DeepRoots) and its a neat little program! smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 20 2008, 08:56 PM
Instructor
When I practice I tend to sing some melodies. Also I've developed more ear practicing chords that anything other.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jacmoe
Feb 20 2008, 09:10 PM
I recommend EarMaster as well. Excellent program! laugh.gif

Yes, it is better than Solfege (which is free). wink.gif

--------------------
QUOTE ("Steve Vai")
Start by playing something - a bend, a riff, a scale, a song - very slowly; if you make a mistake, start over; do this over and over, until you can play it flawlessly - and I do mean flawlessly - many times in a row. Next, gradually increase the tempo. Eventually you'll be flailing like a madman.

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 20 2008, 09:16 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Owen @ Feb 20 2008, 04:47 PM) *
someone mentioned it on here (think it was DeepRoots) and its a neat little program! smile.gif

your welcome! Yeh that program kicks ass for sure- even mic up and make sure your singing in pitch too.

Sorted rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 20 2008, 09:30 PM
Instructor
yeah, first of all just say Welcome !!! hehe... well I use solfege and is an execellent tool, believe me wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 20 2008, 10:56 PM
Instructor
+1 for the solfege. I saw it on previous Juan recommendations and it is sure effective! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 21 2008, 12:05 AM
Instructor
yeah, I learnt a lot with this program and I'm still learning !!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 21 2008, 04:38 AM
Instructor
Ear is connected to voice A LOT,so I would recommend singing as much as possible.
Singing will also help you to transcribe music by ear more easily,
you hear the note,you sing it and then you locate it on fretboard.
After some while you'll be able to "visualize" almost everything you hear and to play it right away.

So once more,sing!! smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Feb 21 2008, 04:59 AM
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 20 2008, 09:38 PM) *
Ear is connected to voice A LOT,so I would recommend singing as much as possible.
After some while you'll be able to "visualize" almost everything you hear and to play it right away.

Yes, I never do that mostly cause I stink laugh.gif but I will start trying!!

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Feb 21 2008, 08:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 21 2008, 04:38 AM) *

I agree, singing is really important. Another good exercice is improvise singingig the notes that you want to play so you play what you want in your mind wink.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Feb 21 2008, 08:14 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Many good advices here, thanks guys smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 21 2008, 12:13 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 21 2008, 04:38 AM) *

+1...nothing more to add:)

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Feb 21 2008, 12:15 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Nemanja @ Feb 21 2008, 11:13 AM) *
+1...nothing more to add:)

well i dont have much more arguing to do then - i'll try practising singing every day too then tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:21 PM