Picking
maw
Dec 21 2008, 01:18 AM
GMC:er
Heres a dumb question? What pick should I use? I find that when I want speed I use a thin pick, and when I want accurate picking I use a medium one. And I cannot use a thick period. Any thoughts? Also I was and still sort of am a dead head, any lesson on the dead? Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Dexxter
Dec 21 2008, 01:27 AM
Learning Tone Guru
Hey

For speed it's probably better with a thick pick, you get more attack and more accurate picking. Thin will probably be too floppy and stuff like that. You'll just have to get used to a thick pick, I promise you won't regret it. About 1.5 mm is enough. And you should find a pick to use always, you don't wanna stand and switch picks on stage, specially not on dark ones.

Anyhow, that's my opinion, hope it helped smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dexxter: Dec 21 2008, 01:32 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Dec 21 2008, 01:36 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
If you want to pick notes or do a solo I agree with Dexxter.

A thin pick is good for strumming chords and such. You will be able to pick single notes (solo) with more control and be more accurate with a med-heavy or heavy pick. It may take a bit to get use to but I believe this will work for you better in the long run.

Cheers bro

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
sigma7
Dec 21 2008, 01:38 AM
I use a 3mm pick, a stubby...it works great for lead but I find I always have to switch up between the 3mm to a .8mm....odd, I guess its your preference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
maw
Dec 21 2008, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the advice, my thinking was way off, I guess thats why I suck, as least thats the way I feel when I watch the video lesson and try to play at same speed

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 21 2008, 03:14 AM
Instructor
I use softer pick aroun 0.98 for rhythm cause my trusty good ol Jazz XL III sounds to hard when playing rhythm. For everything else I use Jazz XL III. I got used to playing with both of them, so I think it's just a matter of habit. Been using them for quite some time now, and now exactly how they will behave in contact with the string. I think you just need to find a pick that is good for you, and I can't tell you what it is, you have to find out for yourself. I suggest going to nearby guitar store and trying all sorts of picks. Buy 4-5 of different kinds and play with them. When you find the right one - stick with it mate. Hope this helps, cheers smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 21 2008, 03:45 AM
Instructor
Try them all (gauges) and play them all as much as possible.
It might be tricky sometimes to switch between certain gauges
but you'll gain a lot,specially when it comes to dynamic.
Don't follow any rules about picks and gauge,
just listen and see what's happening. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Dec 21 2008, 05:09 AM
Instructor
Personal choice I believe, I always liked picks that are about 1 mm thick, this gave me enough attack, didn't bend, later on I switched to Jazz III, don't know how thick they are, I guess about the same.

The only thing I switch picks for is strumming on acoustic, for that I go to 0.70 nylon picks, sounds crisper and better in my opinion.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:05 AM