My Playing Sounds terrible
slash85
Mar 24 2007, 01:08 PM
GMC:er
gday mates,

im wondering if anyone could gis a hand with me playing........to put it nicely my playing just sounds like shit......i never realised it til i heard other people playing the same songs as me....now i have only been playing a year but i seem to always have two strings ringing at the same time even though the notes im playin come one after the other ( not meant to be played at the time) im shit at muting i do not mute at all now i know this is my problem with that particular thing but i dont really kn ow how.....are u meant to move yur palm around and mute all th strings u arent meant to play while yur playing a lick or solo or do u use yur fretting hand or what its driving me bonkers and its incredibly frustrating...apart from all this i still bloody hit the wrong bloomin strings from parts i have been practising for a year now......im wondering would it be best for me to get one on one lessons with a teacher so they can point out everything im doin right or wrong....

cheers mates

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
DEFENDER OF THE FAITH \m/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 24 2007, 01:46 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (slash85 @ Mar 24 2007, 01:08 PM) *
gday mates,
im wondering if anyone could gis a hand with me playing........

G'day mate, did you take all the lessons here at GMC?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Mar 24 2007, 02:15 PM
record yourself!!! (if you can wink.gif)

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 24 2007, 03:49 PM
Moderation Policy Director
This is something you have to work on - and its hard, especially as you start playing faster. There are many different techniques, you will probably end up using a collection. You can mute adjacent strings with unused fingers on your left hand, mute strings with the palm of your right hand (a must for sweep picking) - above all, you need to practice slowly to get a clean sound, then speed up.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
BM
Mar 26 2007, 05:39 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 24 2007, 03:49 PM) *
This is something you have to work on - and its hard, especially as you start playing faster. There are many different techniques, you will probably end up using a collection. You can mute adjacent strings with unused fingers on your left hand, mute strings with the palm of your right hand (a must for sweep picking) - above all, you need to practice slowly to get a clean sound, then speed up.

i agree. make sure you can play evey note slowly and with no other sound. then you speed up. if you have the notes and the picking down, then conventrate on the muting with your right hand

--------------------
"Baptized in a firefight. Hot blood running cold as ice. 44 minutes of target practice. All hell's breaking loose.
Outgunned. Watching the force come to a firefight with a pocket knife.
Getting schooled until they shot Achilles' heel and brought down the beast."

+Quote Post
slash85
Mar 26 2007, 07:09 AM
gday mates...

thanks for the feedback guys i will give everything a go apart from recording myself coz i cant sad.gif but i appreciate everything thanks fellas.

cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
Mar 26 2007, 11:34 PM
Rock Instructor
i think the best way to clean your sound is..

to do it with ametronome when you understand how many notes you play for each beat.

for example. take this patern

e:--------------------5--7--8--7----
b:--5---6---8---6------------------
g:-----------------------------------

now there is 8 notes , so 4 for each beat. now there is two patterns. play them from 50bpm till you fingers are bloody. now foucus on this and you will clean your playing without thinking about it.

helped me , i hope it will help you .

Eyal

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 28 2007, 10:35 AM
Lets go fishing!
Slash, I am not expert and just a beginner (7 months) but maybe I can help. Do you always use a metronome when you practice? If not watch the metronome lesson then start practicing your licks/songs to it. This should help tidy up your playing no end! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
slash85
Mar 29 2007, 09:49 AM
thanks again for all your help guys ill give it a go and see if i can clean me playin up. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:13 PM