Metillica, (James Hetfield Downpicking?)
Murloc
May 10 2009, 12:22 AM
Learning Roadie
Hello guys!

Is it really true that Metallica's James Hetfield plays downpicking 100% of the time?? mellow.gif

Note: Ops, accidentally spelled Metallica "Metillica" in the title tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Murloc: May 10 2009, 12:31 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 10 2009, 12:35 AM
Learning Tone Master
No he just favors downpicking because it gives a heavier, chunkier sound. For example MASTER OF PUPPETS is a fast song with ONLY downpicking but there are a lot of the older THRASHMETAL songs like whiplash where he uses alternate picking for the rythms...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Murloc
May 10 2009, 12:37 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 10 2009, 01:35 AM) *
No he just favors downpicking because it gives a heavier, chunkier sound. For example MASTER OF PUPPETS is a fast song with ONLY downpicking but there are a lot of the older THRASHMETAL songs like whiplash where he uses alternate picking for the rythms...

Really? The story I heard said that he always downpicks because he havn't learned to use alternate picking XD

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 10 2009, 01:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
It's physicly impossible to play 16th notes at a speed of 168 bpm (whiplash) with only downpicking, so yeah he is either alternate picking or he didn't play his won song on the record/live^^

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Murloc
May 10 2009, 01:14 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 10 2009, 02:01 AM) *
It's physicly impossible to play 16th notes at a speed of 168 bpm (whiplash) with only downpicking, so yeah he is either alternate picking or he didn't play his won song on the record/live^^

You're right, I just came to think of this song which has an insane gallop (one of my favourite metallica songs btw). So he must use alternate picking. Shame, I used to think that it was so cool that he could downpick everything tongue.gif

Metallica - Battery

+Quote Post
Canis
May 10 2009, 01:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
Well, he is known to have one of the fastest downpicking hands out there, so you're not that far off wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 10 2009, 10:10 AM
GMC:er
Metallica is a favourite of mine I follow and I have the Metallica - The Art of James Hetfield book smile.gif

Hetfield uses downstokes whenever possible; only at the fastest tempo will he use alternate picking. With / Without palm muting.

If nothing else, the one thing you must have to play Metallica's music is right-hand velocity. Tempos frequently exceed 180 beats per minute and use sixteenth-note figures. Don't expect to be able to play at extreme tempos right away, work diligently, every day and increase gradually and comfortably.

Use subtle and short movements of the pick, and keep your arm relaxed and in a comfortable position. Any tension in your hand or arm will ultimately hold you back from playing accurately at fast tempos.

They also use the gallop technique in picking, so that requires up picking.
Picking: down... down up down... down up down... down up down... down up

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
May 12 2009, 09:05 PM
Learning Rock Star
Some interesting and helpful comments here... Personally I prefer alternate picking, although I can't say I'm a skilled guitarist... Yet ! tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 12 2009, 09:50 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Him and Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein have insane downpicking skills.

Doyle is from the misfits by the way, A horror punk band.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:59 PM