> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

13 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Vince09's Music Workouts, for Gab's Army
Vince09
Feb 25 2015, 08:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Gab!Sorry for the late response but I had some problems that I needed to fix but now I am back for good...at least I hope smile.gif
So I saw your feedback regarding the alternate picking lesson and I can say I can't apply the right hand movement to the Van Halen lesson,it's because as soon I finish the alternate picking part I got to be with my right hand on top of the guitar so that's why I do that weird movement cause it's more comfortable for me and allows me to be close to the top of the guitar.
Regarding the ear training I tried singing the notes using the mic and the guitar and I find it very hard to sing the right notes smile.gif so now I will use the free software that you recommended and I hope it will help me more then my voice biggrin.gif I am aloso thinking in the near future to take some singing lessons.
The Beatles song seems to be easy but it's not...I have an ideea about the arppegios but I am not totally sure it's right.A little help would be nice...for example I think the song it's in E major,please tell me if I am wrong.
And now...for the final of this post....here it is...a new try on the intro of Van Halen lesson smile.gif
Van Halen intro #5
About the colab...I think it's better to let it go cause it's no time for me to finish my part untill the deadline.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Vince09: Feb 25 2015, 09:44 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 26 2015, 02:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Vince, thanks for the update!

I note that you are not resting the palm your picking hand in any part around the bridge while you play the alternate picking part. If you do it, your palm will act as an anchor point for your wrist, and you'll feel your picking more stable and your hand more relaxed while you play. Check out any alternate picking lesson and you will note that we don't use the right hand floating in order to have more precision, and a better and more stable tempo.

The song by The Beatles is in E major so you are on the right track with it! smile.gif Are you using Amazing slow downer software?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Vince09
Mar 13 2015, 12:49 PM
Hi Gab!Sorry for the late update...I am not doing to good this period and practicing is on the 2nd place of things to do.
Regarding the alternate picking from the Van Halen lesson I have to say that even though it can't be seen beucause of the recording angle...I have 2 contact points on my guitar....one is with my elbow and one is with my soft side of the hand.
The beatles song is giving me headaches cause even if I know that the song is in E major tonality I can't find the right pattern.
These days I had a small idea that I think I will benefit from it and since next year I will look to join a cover band...How about if in our ear training program we study popular songs that cover bands play...what do you say?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 13 2015, 02:33 PM
Instructor
Hi Vince! Thanks for the update. I don't know exactly what's happening but I hope that your other things get calm soon. smile.gif

About your right hand position, yeah, maybe the camera angle confused me. There is a difference in picking direction that makes your version sound with a different accentuation and less groove. If check Alex's right hand at 00:04, you will see that he is playing the part with only downstrokes but keeps the up and down movement in 8th notes to keep it groovy. This is a trick that will help a lot to make your rhythm technique tighter and more connected with the backings groove. It would be a good plan to use this lesson to practice it because then it will be a natural part of your playing.

The cover songs band sounds like a great plan! We can work on a list of popular songs but from my experience cover songs are very wide so I wonder what songs you consider are at the top of the list of cover bands... in my country this is a possible list:

and this list can last forever... laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Mar 14 2015, 06:24 PM
Hi Gab!How are you?First of all thank you for your reply....your words are orders for me, just like in the real army laugh.gif
I checked the Van Halen lesson and at the 00:04 he plays only downstrokes and I couldn't tell why I left over such an important detail but now I have the answer....in the end of the lesson he plays the same part with upstrokes smile.gif and my brain tricked me to learn the easy way and that is the part with upstrokes.Now regarding the alternate picking part I looked better and saw that actually there isn't any alternate picking laugh.gif it's just a legato part played with downstrokes.After this lesson definetly I should get a pair of glasses blink.gif
About cover songs ...you are right!It's different then my country so I think I should propose a new song everytime if you are ok with this...I am a little bit scared cause I am stepping into the unknown smile.gif
The first song is this....Iggy Pop-The Passenger
What do you think?
Short update on the Van Halen lesson....Van Halen intro #6

This post has been edited by Vince09: Mar 14 2015, 07:22 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 15 2015, 06:19 PM
Instructor
Hi Vince, good job analyzing the lesson and technique used by Alex closely. I notice that your rhythm skills are getting better and better after each take that you share here. There is still something to adjust regarding your downpicking movement exactly at the 00:04 part that we talked before. You do some kind of "circular" movement while it should be more vertical. Please compare your hand and Alex's at that moment and let me know if you can see what I mean.

About the cover song, yeah! that's a great choice. Could you please post here the chords that you hear on it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Mar 15 2015, 09:28 PM
Hi Gab!I checked the part at 00:04 and I redid a video: Van Halen intro #7
So about The Passenger song by Iggy Pop I hear the folowing chords: Am-F-C-G.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 16 2015, 03:06 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, the video is private.

The chords are perfect! Have you played along with the song? Is there a recording of it? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Mar 16 2015, 08:03 PM
Hi Gab!Sorry about the viideo....now it's unlisted and you can see it!
I tried a little bit to play the chords but it wasn't enough time to record...tomorrow this will be the first thing that I do smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 17 2015, 02:14 PM
Instructor
Hi Vince, the part is better now, there is still some "circular" movement but it's smaller now. Keep on practicing and be careful with it. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Mar 18 2015, 10:20 PM
Hi Gab!I was brain storming today and I think the only way to get rid of the circular movement is to stop the string with the pick smile.gif This motion allows me to mute the string and also keep the hand paralel to the guitar.What do you think?
Here is a quick video of The Passanger song....The Passanger

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 19 2015, 03:21 PM
Instructor
Hi Vince, I'm not sure of what you mean. Could you show it with a close camera angle?

The Passenger sample sounds good, it just needs more groove but maybe using a drum groove or backing track could help with it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Mar 19 2015, 03:44 PM
Hey Gab!To better understand me please look at part 2 of the lesson...there is a close video of the right hand movement and you will see that I got the circular movement by reproducing this part in my playing...in the main lesson he does a a different movement using only downstrokes and muting the string with his pick or maybe his thumb unsure.gif
Regarding The Passanger song...how about if I play over the song?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 20 2015, 04:32 PM
Instructor
yes! he is resting the whole hand there including the thumb, the pick and the palm. That's how I also use to mute the strings between strums when it's required. If you pay attention to the moment in which he mutes you'll notice that he goes with the beat/groove. It's important to always keep grooving, even when you mute.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Mar 21 2015, 07:36 PM
Hi Gab!Another attempt on the VH lesson,at the moment I don't find it natural to keep my hand on the strings when I do the muting part.
Van Halen intro #8

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 23 2015, 02:33 PM
Instructor
Hi Vince, your hand movement on this lesson seems to be right on this take. Are you talking about this part when you say that you don't feel it natural? Because it looks natural from here... cool.gif

I'm talking about the muting parts for example at 00:12.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Mar 23 2015, 03:15 PM
Hi Gab!Exactly...I am talking about the part at 00:12...When I am playing I sitll got to think about where to put my hand on the guitar.If everything it's ok ...can I move on and record the next parts of the lesson?

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 23 2015, 04:09 PM
Instructor
yes! It's ok like that! Let's go for the next parts. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Vince09
Mar 25 2015, 07:44 PM
Hi Gab!Here are the next parts of the Van Halen Lesson...I played them on a slower tempo cause I want to be sure that I get them right.The first impression is that I am rigid when I mark the accent on the strums....but you will see it in the video smile.gif
Van Halen 90 bpm

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 26 2015, 02:19 PM
Instructor
Hi Vince, great to see you playing the whole thing! smile.gif

I agree with you about the fact that your playing and movement sounds and looks rigid on this video. I checked the original lesson again after watching yours and I noted a big difference: Alex's body, hands, arms and foots are going with the groove while your body looks frozen while your hands move. You need to follow the groove with your head, tap with your foot, and let the right hand move with the groove in 8th notes even when you don't reach the notes. I know that this is an early video, but please continue practicing with this in mind.

Also, remember to avoid that circular right hand movement that we talked about when you pick single strings. (for example around 00:36).

As I did to give more specific feedback, compare both videos, check your posture and movements and notice the main differences with Alex's. You will learn a lot just y analyzing. You can do the same with some other rhythm guitarists. Check some Van Halen, SRV or Angus Young videos, analyze how they play rhythm stuff.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:15 AM