Dcz702 - Composing Riffs And Melodies Tread
Darius Wave
May 31 2013, 12:18 PM
Instructor
Ok Dave let's start to work on Your creativity. To create some idea of how this could work let's take a look at same basic mechanics that shows in this process

1. Same as in case of improvisation - the major factor of composing is Your own ear - things that You just know they fit, even though You don't have theory basis to correctly name them

2. Musicians usually don't think of composing like of some very "rules based" proecess. I think that reading the lessons descriptions is not a good way to find an influence for creating music. It's not that it's something wrong with the descriptions but just a target / purpose of doing them - they're role is to explain how to execute something that has been already composed.

3. Scales and some essential theory knowlege can help to understand what You're actually doing. Also can be used for some cool exsperimnets. For example You imagine some kind of "math rule" and see what it gives while using with particular set of notes / scale. It like searching for the number of variations that could be done with a few notes. There are tons of variations.

4. I think most of beginners for the impro world make a huge mistake at the beginning. The problem is not how many notes You can use, but how many ways You can play the few notes.

Here comes the first task:

Lets take a open E6, G (3rd fret of E6) and A (5th fret of 6 string). Now I want You to build a 4 bars riff and each bar has to be different.

Try to write dowon a few available rhythym groups, write down available articualtion. Show me how many colors You can add to the 3 notes.
Remember - You can play variatoins of everypossible rhythm but....don't do the whole bar of eight notes, 16th notes etc...cause the exercise would then have no sense.

Try to mix everything as much as possible. Try to add as many colors (bends legato, slide, pinch harmonics, muting) as possible. Same with the rhythm...Don't go the easy way. Try to surprise yourselft of how many variations can be done. Than chose Your favourites.

One more advice. If You did one pinch harmonic in the bar...don't waste any other note for the next one - just find a way to use different articulation.

Please record Your take over 80 bpm metronome.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dcz702
May 31 2013, 10:12 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
right on man! i like were your going with this and excited to get strated!
i did this real quik didnt put to much thought into it and used the notes E G A, in four bar riff repeated four times.https://soundcloud.com/rockmusic-915/composingriffsandmelodies1

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jun 3 2013, 10:43 PM
Instructor
Ok. This is a start. You did some fun with the rhythm but didn't really use tons of usefull colors. So let's build this up. Take a close look at the first bar. What can we do more about it? My suggestion is to focus on what technique is used the same way on every note in the first bar. When You try to analyze this You'll see every note is an open note. What we want to achieve is to give as more colors as possible. When all notes in the bar are muted it would be same bad biggrin.gif Try to mix some right hand techniques. Try to write them down in the next post and give me a proposition of first bar lopped smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 4 2013, 09:17 AM
Instructor
How's Your progress Dave ?smile.gif Any other, new ideas? You don't have to do all at once. You can improve only little details and give those riffs some time to grow smile.gif That's what i do while composing. First the basic idea, than long time analyzis and improvements smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:21 AM